Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bug Involving Invisiibility (Mechanic) And Explosive Self-Damage

JustJesse

The bug I observed is that explosive projectiles that will typically deal self-damage at close range failed to do so while I was under the effect of invisibility.

Expected Behavior: Projectiles capable of inflicting self-damage inflict self damage.
Observed Behavior: Projectiles capable of inflicting self-damage will not do so if the player is invisible.

Testing Methods:
-Test that listed weapons are correctly inflicting self-damage when not under an invisibility effect by firing at the ground and/or at nearby objects.

-Test whether self-damage is inflicted while under the effect of the Invisibility ability from the Loki Prime Warframe.

-Test whether self-damage is inflicted while under the effect of other sources of invisibility.
-Test if the observed bug is related to Host/Client status*.

Weapons Confirmed Affected: Ogris, Kulstar, Penta, Angstrum, Bow-type weapons with the Thunderbolt Mod**, Castanas, Sancti Castanas, Glaive with the Power Throw Mod, Glaive Prime with the Thunderbolt Mod, Halikar with the Power Throw Mod***
Weapons Possibly Affected: Stug, Kestrel with the Power Throw Mod
Weapons Confirmed Unaffected: Tonkor

Abilities Confirmed Affected: Invisibility (Loki, Loki Prime), Smoke Screen (Ash), Smoke Screen (Ash Prime), Stalk (Huras), Ghost (Shade)
Abilities Possibly Affected:
Abilities Confirmed Unaffected:

Mods Confirmed Affected: Thunderbolt**, Power Throw***, Smoke Shadow (Augment for Ash, Ash Prime), Concealed Explosives
Mods Possibly Affected:
Mods Confirmed Unaffected:

"Affected" indicates that the tested item did not inflict self-damage while invisible as expected.
"Possibly Affected" indicates that the item requires testing, as it may be "Affected".
"Not Affected" indicates that the item inflicted self-damage while invisible as expected.

Other Observations:
*This bug occurs regardless of whether the player is the Host of a game session or a Client.
**While testing the Attica with the Thunderbolt mod, I found that the explosions would not inflict self-damage unless the projectile exploded on something with a health bar, such as a storage container. Other bow type weapons tested (Paris Prime, Daikyu) behaved as expected in that the explosion caused by thunderbolt inflicted self-damage when detonating on a terrain surface.

***While testing the Halikar, I was unable to get the explosion to do self damage, regardless of whether I was invisible or not. I was also unable to get the AoE blast to affect enemies either, which leads me to believe that Power Throw simply does not work with the Halikar, despite the explosion visual effect from Power Throw appearing.

Conclusions:
From the testing done, it would appear that the bug observed is limited to self-activated invisibility effects, as opposed to any individual weapon or Warframe. However, no testing was done with the Castanas or the Sancti variant, the Huras Kubrow's Stalk ability, or the Smoke Shadow Augment for Ash/Ash Prime, due to not having access to these items.

After conducting further testing, it would seem that the bug is tied to Loki's Invisibility and Ash's Smoke Screen. Since the invisibility granted by the Shade Sentinel and the Huras Kubrow expires when one fires a weapon, it may or may not be affected by this bug. Further testing will be required.

After testing Ghost and Stalk using the alternate fire of the Penta, which does not interrupt the invisibility that companions grant, I was able to determine that all forms of invisibility and almost all weapons capable of dealing self-damage are affected by this bug.

Edits:
2015-08-24 20:34 (UTC-05:00): Added Castanas and Sancti Castanas to the list of affected weapons.
2015-08-25 02:04 (UTC-05:00): Removed Castanas and Sancti Castanas from the list of weapons possibly affected after forgetting to do so earlier.

2015-08-25 22:57 (UTC-05:00): Added weapons capable of using the Power Throw Mod to weapons affected; Added Power Throw to the list of mods affected.

2015-08-26 17:08 (UTC-05:00): Added Smoke Shadow to the list of affected mods (Thanks to Exploderizer for helping test this).

2015-08-26 17:14 (UTC-05:00): Added Concealed Explosives to the list of affected mods, Added Smoke Screen (Ash Prime) to the list of affected Abilities, Added Ghost (Shade) to the list of abilities possibly affected, Updated Conclusions following additional testing.

2015-08-26 17:29 (UTC-05:00): Added Ghost (Shade) and Stalk (Huras) to the list of abilities confirmed affected. Updated Conclusions accordingly.

Edited by JustJesse

I dont remember which patch notes, but DE made this change on porpuse. (or i maybe recalling it wrong)

I remember that  DE said to made this change for a reason, in a patch notes. You wont be able to self damange while invisible.

I will reply again to this post if i find the notes.

Explosions from Glaive and Glaive prime with the Power Throw mod also deal no self-damage while invisible, not sure about Kestrel and Halikar.

Thank you for bringing this up, I've edited the report accordingly. I tried testing the Halikar, but interestingly enough, it seems that Power Throw does not work at all with it.

Please also report the bug with Tonkor where self damage is non-existent whether stealthed or not deviating from other powerful explosive weapons which require skill/finesse to use effectively.

Design choice to facilitate rocket jumping.

Or, well, grenade jumping in this case.

um ... thanks for trying to nerf loki ....

its there because some players have worse eyes and cant see their own charactere while cloaked

those players constantly kill themselves because they have less deph perception thanks to a missing player model (for them) and its harder to get a feeling of the distance

im personally not involved but i read threads about massive responses from people with the inability to play without a visible player model (for them) especially if it comes to guessing distances with potential selfkill weapons

Edited by Severuslanskerr

Please also report the bug with Tonkor where self damage is non-existent whether stealthed or not deviating from other powerful explosive weapons which require skill/finesse to use effectively.

Tonkor is not suppose to have self damage IIRC.

Tonkor has always had an extremely low amount of self-damage as part of its explosion-bounce mechanic. When I started my testing on this bug, the Tonkor was the only explosive weapon to behave as expected and deal its small self-damage while invisible. However, for fear that something has changed or that I was mistaken in my initial testing, I'll test the Tonkor again and update this post with the results.

Edit:

While not invisible, the Tonkor's blast reduced my Loki Prime's shields from 555 to 463, so the self-damage is still present on this weapon.

While invisible, the Tonkor's blast reduced my Loki Prime's shields from 555 to 463, so it seems the Tonkor is still the only weapon working as intended.

Edited by JustJesse