Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Tanen The Geomancer (Earth/egyptian Themed) W/ Artwork

[DE]Artarrwen

Intro
Hey guys!
So recently I posted this concept on /r/Warframe. After some feedback and minor tweaks, I'm posting it here as well. Hopefully I'll continue working on it some more
This concept is something I’ve been doing for my own entertainment and learning (I’m really not comfortable with concept art, still ><). Thought it’d be fun to design a geomancer type frame. Another thing I wanted to do is something with Egyptian influence.

warframe___the_geomancer_by_artarrwen-d9

So here’s Tanen the Geomancer. The name translates as “exalted earth” or “risen land” and belongs to an Egyptian god of creation, who also represents the Earth. 

(Yes I know there are quite a few earth-themed concepts floating around. I still wanted to offer my take on it)

Visual Concept
8YjNJW3.jpg
(Icons are to be finished yet)

Power list

Now for the powers. I didn’t have a set archetype in mind, what I ended up with is an odd mix of a CC and support. Tell me if anything’s off to you, if there’s any changes you’d like to see, etc. Chances are I’ll be designing alternative abilities or even replacing something in this set. Except number 2.
Names are subject to change, too.

Geoblast
  • Aim at a surface within range; cast to extract chunks of matter and turn them into projectiles.
  • Up to 3 projectiles can be summoned at max rank.
  • These projectiles orbit Tanen until released with subsequent casts.
  • Explosive projectiles cover a small AoE. Releases a thick cloud of dust and covers enemies in tar-like substance.
  • Affected enemies suffer burst damage and reduced accuracy. Their sight range also falls, forcing them to close distances before being able to fire accurately.
  • Debuffs are weak per projectile but they can stack with each other for up to 3 times, each stack also refreshing the duration.

Obelisk
  • Summons a spire-like obstacle of rock and metal from target surface.
  • Obstructs movement, provides a platform for parkour like any other physical obstacle as well as cover from enemy fire.
  • Interacts with Tanen’s powers directly.
  • On its own, creates vibrations in the ground constantly, slowing down enemies in close proximity.
  • When summoned, will deal damage and ragdoll/push away any enemy obstructing it.
  • Has limited HP.
  • Cannot be summoned if it obstructs passages (runs collision checks with nearby walls and ceilings; will not spawn if it occupies more than a certain threshold needed for passage)

Splitter
  • With a powerful slam, causes a seismic event, sending forth a staggering fissure.
  • The fissure attracts to vibration, trying to reach as many vibration sources as possible as it extends.
  • The fissure splits and tracks moving enemies. As it travels, it staggers anyone near it, raising chances of dealing damage.
  • Once fully extended, energy violently surges from within the fracture, dealing heavy damage and suspending affected enemies in the air after they are lifted by the explosion.
  • Suspended enemies are weightless and can be pushed. Once the effect ends, they are slammed back into the ground, causing impact damage on landing.

Geoshield (Alternatively, Bastion ?)
  • Rips the ground beneath self. Attracts all extracted solid debris to form protective barriers around Tanen and nearby allies.
  • Initial cast deals moderate damage and inflicts a stagger within same area.
  • This debris violently orbits its hosts, granting damage resistance and chance to fully negate an instance of damage.
  • Deals damage per second with a chance of Impact proc to any enemy in proximity.

Synergy
Now for the frame’s gimmick. As mentioned before, Obelisk directly interacts with other powers. Here are the interactions:

Geoblast: Source matter can be extracted from the Obelisk. Hardened projectiles fragment on impact, increasing their burst damage. Clouds created by these also reduce damage of any enemy attack passing through it. Allied fire, in turn, is boosted.

Obelisk: Only one Obelisk may be summoned at a time. Creating a new Obelisk will destroy the old one. Creating one at the same location will instead provide a full HP heal to the Obelisk.

Splitter: As Obelisk vibrates, the fissure will attract to it and then expand in all directions relative to the Obelisk. The energy surge will now have directionality, sending lifted enemies towards the Obelisk so they all land closer to it.

Geoshield: Approaching an Obelisk will reset Geoshield’s duration and resonate with the rock, surging energy through it to repel nearby enemies and deal heavy damage. This event occurs once per Geoshield carrier. All nearby allies that lack Geoshield will receive a lesser barrier with half of its full duration. This barrier does not interact with the Obelisk.

Any Obelisk interaction drains its HP to varied extents.

Possible augments:

Geoblast: When extracting matter, causes Blast procs at target surface from where projectiles are obtained. Increased radius when used on Obelisk.

Obelisk: Increases armor of nearby allies and heals them if damaged.

Splitter: The fissure increases movement speed of allies following along. When used on Obelisk, creates persistent walls of energy that knock down any enemy attempting to pass through them.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Artarrwen

The art is nice, you got the egypt vibe down, as well as rock-shapes in the body.

Imo you can push the egypt mythos even further, overthe top is fun!

The powers are a mix between Mag, Frost and Rhino to me. The pillar acting almost like a Totem, a fun mechanic.

Since I am involved with Tremor, a Terraformer, I am real happy that both of them could be in Warframe together without beibg to similar.

Tremor allso have a stealth-part where Tanen is more a AoE frame.

Good stuff :)

I don't know if you've been already told this but, DE needs to hire you. This is insanely good

That is very high praise. Thank you. ^^

Imo you can push the egypt mythos even further, overthe top is fun!

It would be fun but for his default appearance I tried to stay as abstract as possible. I consider his Anubis helmet being as close to Egyptian thematic as possible without ruining the Tenno aesthetic.

If an alternate skin such as Pre Corpus Valkyr or Nemesis Nyx were to exist, however...

Since I am involved with Tremor, a Terraformer, I am real happy that both of them could be in Warframe together without beibg to similar.

Well that would require that either or both of them move away from each other in terms of their themes.

One might even have to switch gender.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well that would require that either or both of them move away from each other in terms of their themes.

One might even have to switch gender.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Genderswaps is the most likely yes, some tweaks might be needed sure.

The way I see it, the more thought-out and convincing these conceps are, the bigger incentive for the artteam to draw up a DE concept and present it to the guys in charge.

Ok this thread shouldn't die this quickly. No?

Is something wrong?

I hate bumping but I feel like I must.

Sad fact is if you're not constantly updating with visuals and ability reworks and whatnot then the majority of people just don't care. Even Typhus' fanbase has stifled out of it, save a few dozen that bump his thread every now and then.

I would say that you should change Geoshield to Bastion, though, mostly because I thought of an augment that could use that name:

Geoshield - Tanen creates a shield infront of himself that moves with him as he goes. Tanen and allies can shoot through the shield but it will block and occasionally reflect all damage enemies do from the front back to them.

Edited by Morec0

Sad fact is if you're not constantly updating with visuals and ability reworks and whatnot then the majority of people just don't care. Even Typhus' fanbase has stifled out of it, save a few dozen that bump his thread every now and then.

I would say that you should change Geoshield to Bastion, though, mostly because I thought of an augment that could use that name:

Geoshield - Tanen creates a shield infront of himself that moves with him as he goes. Tanen and allies can shoot through the shield but it will block and occasionally reflect all damage enemies do from the front back to them.

Well before a rework there's usually some discussion leading up to it. Speaking of.

I don't know about the augment, it kind of repeats the primary function of the power, which is damage blocking. If it adds some sort of synergy with #2? 
I was thinking something like a reverse effect (not necessarily damage increase but something like damage over time) on enemies within the cast range, with enemies being able to inadvertently refresh said effect on themselves when near the Obelisk.

[size=1]also edited thread title for clarity or whatever[/size]

Edited by Artarrwen

Well before a rework there's usually some discussion leading up to it. Speaking of.

I don't know about the augment, it kind of repeats the primary function of the power, which is damage blocking. If it adds some sort of synergy with #2? 

I was thinking something like a reverse effect (not necessarily damage increase but something like damage over time) on enemies within the cast range, with enemies being able to inadvertently refresh said effect on themselves when near the Obelisk.

also edited thread title for clarity or whatever

Hmm, perhaps. I'd give it time. I'll try to help keep this in the limelight.

I'd figure that would be a perfect way to keep it functioning like that - the idea is in exchange for now only being able to block damage from infront of the character (perhaps this could be extended to all party members) you now reflect portions of damage dealt to the shield back at enemies.

The thing is, new threads are born every day here. Most are paperthin, and I have a feeling it is chance that determins the success of a concept.

Prime Time is great to have as they showcase a concept of the week.

That said, I enjoy the concept. We can all steal a page from pigmans book, he got the evolution of Concept-threads down to an art. So just give it time.

Hmm, perhaps. I'd give it time. I'll try to help keep this in the limelight.

I'd figure that would be a perfect way to keep it functioning like that - the idea is in exchange for now only being able to block damage from infront of the character (perhaps this could be extended to all party members) you now reflect portions of damage dealt to the shield back at enemies.

So like Shatter Shield but in form of Odonata's shield?

Hmm... I'd like to avoid overlap, like Irradiating Disarm and Chaos.

Shouldn't necessarily *reflect* damage as it already has damage dealing capabilities on its own. 

Edited by Artarrwen

So like Shatter Shield but in form of Odonata's shield?

Hmm... I'd like to avoid overlap, like Irradiating Disarm and Chaos.

Shouldn't necessarily *reflect* damage as it already has damage dealing capabilities on its own. 

Eh, fair enough, that's sort of where I disagree with Augments. I feel like they ought to drastically change the ability's use even if it means it becomes like another ability - i.e. an Iron Bastille idea I had, which turned Bastille from a stun radius to a Snowglobe-like effect.

I would spend Plat on this IMMEDIATELY.  I always love rocky, massive looking designs (among my favorite pokemon are Torterra, Gigalith, and Golurk), so I am drawn to this instantly.  

EDIT: I accidentally double-replied, sorry.

Edited by TheHoodedTeddy