Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Buff The Acrid!

Fomiru

Hi everyone, I wanted to talk about a gun that gives me a ton of Nostalgia today.  The Acrid, a weapon I set my sights on immediately when I started playing.  Not because it was OP or anything, but because I saw the picture and thought it looked funny. I used it for a long time, but after Damage 2.0 and some other fun guns releasing...  It fell off in usefulness.  It's a fun gun for sure!  Just, not very effective for anything beyond the star chart.

My idea is simply this, change how it's dot works.  Instead of applying a toxin dot, it applies whatever element you have in the gun as a dot scaling with mods.  And it stacks like old acrid, and buff the base damage a little bit again.  The Acrid is a mastery rank 7 weapon... And should be a more usable tool for that purpose.

The Acrid is a fun neat weapon, and I love it.  I just wish it was able to keep up with some of the other weapons in the game :]

I feel it could use a simple +5 or +10 to Status chance without being broken.

That'd feel about right when taking it to fight things other than the entirety of the Corpus fleets.

I will say, it's okay if a weapon specializes in only one faction, so long as the job is done right.

IMO Acrid does its job quite right.

-proceeds to eat away at Corpus numbers-

I find the Acrid's status chance to be broken already. Multishot + 2 dual stat mods bring it up to just above 50%, meaning every other trigger pull the Acrid procs status. That might not be spectacular, but the fact that it's pure toxin damage means there's only one status it can proc, whether it be corrosive, viral, or gas.

What I find silly is the the poison proc. It lasts 6 seconds, which is way too long to wait for an enemy to die. Furthermore, the ticks are super small, only dealing about 40 or 50 damage per tick. The syndicate mod does little for it, as while the proc is nice, the status duration is pretty pointless. Who wants to wait 18 seconds for an enemy to die of poison? If anything, I would group all of the current poison damage into 2 ticks, one that triggers on impact, and one that triggers a second later. Then the Perrin mod would be somewhat useful against higher level enemies.

What I find silly is the the poison proc. It lasts 6 seconds, which is way too long to wait for an enemy to die. Furthermore, the ticks are super small, only dealing about 40 or 50 damage per tick. The syndicate mod does little for it, as while the proc is nice, the status duration is pretty pointless. Who wants to wait 18 seconds for an enemy to die of poison? If anything, I would group all of the current poison damage into 2 ticks, one that triggers on impact, and one that triggers a second later. Then the Perrin mod would be somewhat useful against higher level enemies.

I did not know this.

If that's true, then Acrid isn't having it's complete potential unleashed, as enemies under X lvl die quickly, and enemies over X lvl would probably be mowed down by other weapons before Acrid's effect paid in full.

This makes me sad.

I find the Acrid's status chance to be broken already. Multishot + 2 dual stat mods bring it up to just above 50%, meaning every other trigger pull the Acrid procs status. That might not be spectacular, but the fact that it's pure toxin damage means there's only one status it can proc, whether it be corrosive, viral, or gas.

you pretty much nailed acrid's problem

this would be a great little fix

oh the nostalgia 'squish squish squish!'

if you learn to lead targets there is nothing wrong with it. no thanks. 

I feel it could use a simple +5 or +10 to Status chance without being broken.

That'd feel about right when taking it to fight things other than the entirety of the Corpus fleets.

I will say, it's okay if a weapon specializes in only one faction, so long as the job is done right.

IMO Acrid does its job quite right.

-proceeds to eat away at Corpus numbers-

which would make the tysis obsolete since the tysis is meant for status, while the acrid is Dot. 

• 1 month later...

I love the acrid, and I started using it post damage 2.0, but I agree it needs a few tweaks.

It should be silent, first of all.  they are poison darts, they aren't loud bullets exploding.  I realize some guns actually are silent yet still say ALARMING in the stats, that should be fixed regardless, and this should definitely be a silent weapon.

the dots are fun as hell but I do think they should increase the damage a bit and decrease the duration, not 2 hits and done, but maybe 4 or 5 and the damage from said dots need to scale.  Granted the darts alone, modded properly can take care of enemies with a few quick shots, but the dots are part of the fun of using the acrid.  Shoot something once, move on, left them agonize in intolerable pain as they die moments later and turn weird colors.  

But the dots really are rather useless outside of say, corpus and startchart, in void on armoured bombards, I feel they should get that toxin in under the armour and destroy from within (yes I know they used to ignore armour altogether or whatever) and new system is fine, just needs a bit more oomph to them.

The proc is pretty strong, especially with augment and if you headshot.  The proc scales with base damage mods only, btw.  It would be nice if Magnum Force didn't totally obliterate Acrid's accuracy, though.  A buff to status chance would make it pretty good against everything (high corrosive proc chance would make it effective against Alloy, Ferrite, and Corpus all at once.)

The removal of status headshot bonus really hit it hard, though.

Edited by RealPandemonium