Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Freezes Entire Computer, Even On Launcher.

Gebunator

While search does give me results with similar problems, but not as really similar and some threads are older than a Nekros can desecrate, SO time to get the hate of "why u no search" peeps.

After sunday, my computer began unable to play warframe on due one thing happening. A randomly occuring crash that took down my entire computer and thusly rebooted. I got it to work for entire 6 hours by doing the usual

-Clean installing of all related drivers, audio and graphics

-Physical cleaning to make sure it no overheating

-That means logging temperatures too

-Fresh installation of Direct X

-Defragmenting

-Regdefragging

-Scanning viruses and other malicious software via AVG and Antivir

-Re-installing warframe over and over again, to different partitions and different HDs

-Reseating GPU, HDs and RAM, tightening connectors and whatnot little things you can do "under the hood"

-Praying Machine Gods to cure my Vor controlled unit.

-Having a brief glimmer of hope when I managed to get few hours of game time in.

-Rolling back display driver.

-Checked power is enough and in working order

-Going back to lastest display dirvers

And yes, just like many others, this thing only happens with warframe and one could think it'd be because of GPU either breaking down or that TLD thing acting up to which I already possess the workaround. I have set DirectX10, no multithreading or GPU accelaration on the launcher, but nothing, except perhaps on lucky strike, getting to play an hour.

Most peculiarly, like mentioned on the title, it even locks up and reboots entire comp during launcher. Whetever just idling, downloading something, optimizing or verifying, it does that on random just like in actual game.

..I originally played through steam with steam overlay disabled and the beta version non-wanted. Some threads suggested it was because steam and warframe may not always mix together, Wrong again atleast in my part. But the non-steam/original download from warframe sitei tself does the same.

I always play on lwoest possible graphical settings because I am retro like that, just like my computer.

Speaking of that.. Here's the specs

Intel Dual Core 2 2,4 Ghz

3+ G DDR2 Ram

Geforce 9600 GT

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Around 900 G total partioned in healthy doses

Integrated audio

Yes, it is not much of specs, but before sunday it used to run warframe smoothly, though at lack of all the eyecandy.

What is odd to mention that this started almost few hours after my friend logged in the game via my computer (with his own account of course). Or so I vaguely recall as I was kind of drinking. So.. if there is some cache related shennings,, that may be it. Yeah, a long shot.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the newest drivers 9600 GT is 341.44

Edited by Gebunator

That's a fairly old video card. It could very well be that the hardware is finally failing, and some fault developed over time is exacerbated by high GPU loads.

If there's no blue screen of death, it sounds like it might be the GPU failing such that it gets stuck displaying the last rendered frame.

It's very old card, but still functions as long as I am concerned as no other game exhibits such behaviour. Not even more intensive games.

I did had similar problem with Dota 2, but it turned out to be Dota 2's engine handing old GPU's threaded optimization poorly. Turning it off globally not only made Dota 2 run, but made other games run better as well.

Still, I do acknowledge that even if other games run, that doesn't count out a fact that my hardware is failing. Warframe seems to be quite well optimized as it doesn't put in full 100% capacity my GPU can offer.

I DID just notice that uninstalling Warframe via steam does leave some odd warframe related files leaving about, making me ponder if there is just uncanny thing of friend's login on sunday somehow messing up with files. So at the moment, I think I have managed to delete all DE and Warframe related content from my computer and now doing the umpteenthmost fresh install of warframe. Pretty sure that is not the case, but you never know!

Lastly, I am going through the to-do list over again if this doesn't work, who knows? Maybe I have knocked a RAM comb semi-loose its place or actually forgot to "click" in the GPU or some odd part is not getting power.

Also, might as well take a look of game's video settings. Who knows.. there might be a thing left on that is simple to turn off and that causes it? After all, I'm not expecting today's games to fully support over 7 year old technology

* warframe stores data in %localappdata%; I noticed warframe creates account-related profiles there

* system-wide freeze replicable with other high GPU loads (unigine benchmarks, perhaps)?

* Unusual IO, net, CPU usage patterns right before freeze?

* Advanced system sensor monitoring can be achived with MSI Afterburner and HWiNFO

* Read post history by DE's silicon whisperer and cyberdemon exorcist, Xander.

Alright, so far I have tried to run the game with onboard intergrated GPU and borrowed GPU. Doublechecked and doubledid the check list I had in my original post, also deleted content from %localappdata% and searched for fix (without a success), as provided by Frawg. No unusual activity recorded before freezes.

Nothing worse or better, still randomly happens and without a clue or a crash dump from any source. I did secure a crash dump when I had steam version and non-steam version of warframe installed, but I believe that is because of conflicting registries or some other, as in uninstalling both and installing just one fixed that.

This leads me to a conclusion that my problem is similar to the problem I once had with Dota 2, just even harder to identify.

Well, I am stumped. Atleast I hope I can reap the login daily rewards untill a miracle happens!

EDIT

It is indeed a part of my rig failing, most likely GPU as pointed out.  Warframe just finds that sweet spot fastest.

I put one game running over the night as a stress test and at somepoint the "crash and burn" reproduced.

Thanks for patience and help, sorry about the waste of time as my problem wasn't Warframe related at all!

Edited by Gebunator

Doubleposting for bumping

Turns out that I might have had a GPU at the end of its road, but not anymore.

So, the constant entire system crashing did number to my OS which meant I had to format and reinstall and after the oh so enjoyable update struggle, driver installation and other fun things that make clean OS installation so much fun, I managed to get my computer back to its full gaming shape. I even used different slot for my GPU just incase

Problem persists, does not recreate itself in any other games anymore. I play a random amount of time and it shuts down entire computer and then following with reboot. All other systems are in a working order

Currently I am using ATI Radeon HD 3800 series and even despite the age It has seen some 2-3 months of mediocre usage.

Therefore it is the game engine that must cause this, just like Dota 2 used to do this same.

EDIT

I have managed to get few hours of warframing now, the symptom appears a bit less. I assume that the game engine finds and overloads a specific, damaged part of RAM. Minor fault  that may have gotten past memtester, I'll try to find more DDR2 ram to test this out with warframe,

Edited by Gebunator

Bumping to say this issue is resolved (Yes, I know. Bump it once, s'alright, bump it twice, shame on you!)

Take a moment to ponder what may have been an issue here I tell you after these loads of periods

Webcam software.

Seriously, with logitech webcam software on it caused warframe and warframe only to crash. Just for heck of it, I started to ponder WHY I managed to get one day of gaming in and then the thought hit me, I hadn't installed the software yet! So, closing the program made the difference.

Comes to show that there still persists some mysterious things that can cause serious problems in world of IT.

Or alternatively, it was the latest hotfix which is probably more plausible...

Thanks for the repliers to help me narrow down causes, give good links and tips!

Edited by Gebunator