August 28Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

Community Hot Topics  

2,004 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Umbra Expectations

Very little has been revealed about the new Excalibur Umbra, so the source thread for this topic wonders what that means for the future - will there be more and in what capacity will they exist? The global build will receive Excalibur Umbra at some point, but in your opinion, what should happen after that?  What would you like to see happen with the Umbra Warframes? Would you like more released? What kind of release would you like them to have? In what ways would you make them interesting and unique? Do you have any speculations on what they mean in the Warframe lore?  

Source thread:

Warframe Social

The source thread for this topic suggests a way to enhance the social experience in Warframe through the use of a special in-game message board. Players could post information and leave it for other players to see. Would you use a message board of some sort, as proposed in the source thread? Do you think social systems (like chat or a message board) are inherently prone to abuse, or does the value outweigh the risks? What would you do to enhance the social aspects of Warframe?

Source thread:

Chesa and other Companions

We’ve discussed companions in previous Community Hot Topics, but this topic is specific to quality-of-life improvements that could make existing companions more desirable. Kubrows often come under scrutiny due to their required maintenance, and Chesa has garnered criticism because of the limitations of their Retrieve ability. Chesa’s utility is ultimately a reflection of Carrier’s vacuum, so do you think that homogenization of companion abilities is the best way to increase their value, or do you think there are ways to make each companion unique and desirable? If so, how? Is increasing Chesa’s Retrieve ability sufficient? What would you add or change to make other companions more useful? How often do you change your companions currently? Is there a change that would encourage you to diversify? Post your thoughts and ideas in this thread!

Source threads:

Volt

It’s been awhile since we’ve covered a Warframe in the Community Hot Topics, and I received several requests to include Volt this week, so lets [insert Volt pun here] this discussion. Looking at other recent Warframe reworks, both Excalibur and Frost received an increase in synergy between their various abilities. Scott has mentioned previously that part of his goal with the reworks is to make the abilities compliment each other better. With that in mind, what is your opinion on Volt’s current state? Do you think he needs a complete overhaul (a la Excalibur rework) or more of a tune-up (a la Frost)? What abilities would you rework, if any? What would you change?  

(Please note, this is a reflection of  Hot Topics from the community. Officially, Saryn is next for review, and her tweaks are in progress internally). 

Source threads:

What’s next?...

Devstream 58 dropped some pretty major bombs about what’s to come in Warframe, but this topic is focused on refining what we already have. Cyborg-Rox wonders what ought to be reworked next: mastery tests? Invasions? Alerts? Something else? As I’ve said before, Community Hot Topics don’t necessarily reflect what is currently in development, so if you could decide what would receive an update or rework, what would you choose? For the sake of brevity, try to narrow your opinion down to a single thing so that popular opinions stand out. I did not include a poll for this topic because it’s too broad. If there is enough interest, we could work this topic into a poll for the next Community Hot Topics. 

Source thread:

(Footnote: sorry for the gap since the last CHT - we had some holidays happening over the past month)

With the amount of Mastery that will be needed to reach level thirty, varient Warframes, makes sense.

Plus there will always be people who buy new content, and presumably this benifits us all. I can't wait to learn how the Umbra ties into the lore.

Personally, I would recommend replacing Radial Javelin with a new power. One thing that Warframe lacks is the iconic Iaijutsu. A quick draw of a Samuria sword. Call it Exalted Draw, and swap out Radial Javelin. Make it flow with Slash Dash and synergize with Exalted Blade.
The Iaijutsu should have a long wind up, maybe behave like a trigger, one to activate, and a second to execute. Pausing could work like a power charge up, maybe drawing from energy pool. The draw should fast, extend the spirit blades range and add a huge energy wave.

WZ86z2s.jpg

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

On what needs a rework next, I think I have to go with Archwing. So much potential, yet IMO it flounders in so many small ways that the overall product leaves a rather negative impression.

It needs better tileset generation (tiles should be connected like squares, allowing objectives to be in a wider, more rectangular map area rather than linear tile generation).

It needs better movement (more speed, removal of axis locking).

It needs better enemies (nothing smaller than Ogma size, and bigger, slower ships with multiple turrets that make us feel like we're taking down destroyers or cruisers or aircraft carriers, and faster ships that feel like ace pilots for the enemy).

It needs better objectives and more mixed objectives (hold off an invasion fleet, take down multiple Galleons, capture/kill fleeing person of interest, destroy mining bases).

It needs better item acquisition (autosharing resources and mods like credits, less unnecessary weapon part requirements for normal weapons).

It needs better UI (map and enemy detection especially).

But I don't think any of these are too massive an undertaking. Archwing's so close to being great, and yet so, so far from it.

Enemy awareness and stealth would be my second pick.

Edited by (PS4)WiiConquered

Umbra excalibur: 4th reskin of excal? Primes 2.0 when the original primes aren't even all out yet? pretty much a way to sneak excal prime to people without him? I don't care, either way, I don't play excalibur

Interaction: Yes, I want to invade other players and stomp them, that's all that I want, we have enough chat tabs

Companion abilities: Why would I EVER use anything besides carrier? Do you think I'm stupid?

Volt: I don't play volt.

Edited by Towermice

If I could decide what an update was dedicated to? Enemy A.I. and Stealth (which is inherently linked to both A.I. and Parkour 2.0) have been okay at best for as long as I can remember.

What would I do with A.I.? Cause them to do various actions depending on certain variables. Has a Tenno slaughtered 15 Lancers in about 3 seconds? Then the rest of that squad will take defensive measures such as cover. Are the Tenno hiding in cover? Throwing a grenade should flush them out. Got a variety of units? Get into an offensive or defensive formation, with Shield Lancers or Bursas in front and Ballistas or Sniper Crewmen in the back.

What would I do with Stealth? Increase the amount of time before an enemy recognises you and starts shooting. Add an indicator on enemies who are seeing you and enemies activating the alarm. Stealth finishers from above. Have a universal way to draw an enemy towards where you lie in wait to perform a Finisher.

Edited by Blackout751

All I really have a strong opinion on is this. Volt is nearly perfect. I don't understand why so many people apparently want his shock to change. It is a fist full of thunder you can throw out for small CC while you're reloading- wreck people around corners with- and easily maim flying enemies with. The only change I would really not mind seeing to Volt is giving his overload a little love. It's already quite good but it would be nice if it had a faster casting animation or the lights that can give extra damage would come back on over time for another damage bonus- for those endless missions.

IMO the only one of Volt's abilities that needs a full-on rework/overhaul is Overload. It would be great to see it given the Exalted Blade treatment and have it transformed into something entirely new and unique. As for the other three, they could use a few tweaks but there's no need for a radical change or rework to any of them.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

RE: COMPANIONS

Vote:  OTHER

I think a mix of diversity and similarity is ideal.  I think there is a fundamental problem with Sentinels and Kubrow in that they do not offer an innate capability, and a capability they can share.

To use Carrier as an example, Carrier is the most widely used Sentinel because of Vacuum, picking up loot so we don't miss anything.  I think, ideally, Vacuum would be a generic precept (along with Crowd Dispersion, Vaporize, and others) and instead Carrier should have an innate effect to distinguish it.  The innate effect could level up independently, similar to how Warframe abilities now level up.  To limit Precept use, provide Sentinels and Kubrows with something that operates like an Aura/Stance slot, into which Precepts like Vacuum, Crowd Dispersion, Vaporize et cetera would fit.

Likewise with Kubrows.

Imagine Sentinels that could all equip Vacuum.  Imagine Carrier having an innate Vacuum that didn't require the module, so it could also borrow Crowd Dispersion, or increase its innate Vacuum range by equipping Vacuum.  Or maybe Carrier innately does something else, something new? 

TL;DR Version:  Diversify Companions with innate abilities - not equippable modules - and make the current exclusive modules useful to all like Companions for a new module slot comparable to Aura/Stance, but without the capacity bonus points.

Edited by (PS4)Hooligantuan

I don't even mind that Umbra Excal is clearly a loophole to get Excal Prime to the rest of the players, he does look quite cool. However my concern comes seriously at the though that it was said there would be  more Umbras and we serioulsy don't need Primes 2.0.

I like the thought that each companion can feel unique, so definitely I want more diversity instead of same thing with a different flavor. Some similarities here and there are alright but I prefer not two guys filling the same role.

Archwing needs to be seriously updated at this point.

Also while shock could use some slight improvements (like duration scaling of the electric proc) I think Overload needs to be the focus, it's just so generic and eventually runs out of usefulness: Damage is nothing special and one you use the one-time bonus of the broken lights it becomes even less impressive, and the slow stun is just way too short lived due to being tied up to the unmoddable shock proc, I believe QoL changes could be enough but a Frost-like overhaul to these abilities would be IMO much better.

Edited by RahuHordika

Regarding companions I've said this time and time again -

The problem with the Chesa isn't really the ability, it's rather the community. People continue to compare Carrier's vacuum to Chesa's retrieval ability which is something they should not be doing as it's going to be the same result - disappointment. It's very clear what what the purpose of vacuum is and it's also evident what the purpose of Chesa's ability is, and that is not to be a replacement for vacuum.

I'm in favour of keeping the Chesa the way it is. DE, you shouldn't be making changes and sacrifices to try and meet a need which isn't required or necessary. Don't fall into that pit DE. It's very clear cut what the purpose of Carrier's vacuum is and what Chesa is. Diversity all the way.

However, the true problem that lies with Chesa is the pathfinding and AI issues which plague all Kubrows. These are in need of dire attention. Kubrow's require a sizeable amount of devotion and time where ultimately the benefits are strongly negated by the long ignored issues which come with them. I'm sorry to say so but they have been ignored, they've only received effective attention in U17 for crying out loud, despite countless comments and threads containing feedback.

I'll also add a long-winded post I made a while ago in regards Chesa's below. It echoes my above.

Oh without a doubt I definitely think it needs fixing so it actually works and is useful :p

It's buggy and needs proper attention, that much is true. Just a case of when -_-

Love it when it brings you 92 credits. Sort of a 'Great...' moment lol.

It's point is that it's clearly an in between for those who want a Kubrow and some retrieval ability of sorts but don't want to use the Carrier. It also has a disarming ability as well, despite that being lacking too. On a basic level the Carrier has the ability to use ranged weapons and a high powered vacuum. Kubrow has both (despite both also being poor at the moment) a 'vacuum', a disarming ability and a melee 'weapon'.

So lets get this right and list it. I'm not fully down with Kubrow's so some stuff may actually be limited to one breed:

- It can disarm an enemy (already discussed)

- It can gather some loot for you (already discussed)

- It can open/break containers

- It has a lot of health/shields/armour

- It can do very decent melee damage

- It can be a very tanky distraction

- It can provide a shield around you when reviving

- It can easily regain health via its mod

- You can revive it multiple times

- You can mod how long it bleeds out for if you're getting that annoyed by it

With Carrier you can get different levels of the same - and also some abilities Kubrow's do not currently have -, but a decent vacuum ability and a decent ranged/CQC weapon. I would say the Kubrow isn't that bad for what it gives you but naturally it requires attention and devotion to get the most out of it. Not to mention the levelling of said mods.

It's seems to me that you are actually expecting it to be on the level of Carrier or near it. It's not meant to be a necessity for people like with Carrier but a priviledge, like Carrier was likely meant to be. The Carrier has its benefits, as does the Chesa Kubrow and a lot more, it's not meant to give you a full alternative, but just an alternative. It's meant to be a companion to you - working alongside you like another player - while also gathering your own loot yourself. Granted though, this alternative should work.

In terms of Volt... Ember needs attention first, Volt is in a good place right now. He doesn't have an ultimate which has both an energy drain and timer. That should not be happening and I have no idea why it has remained that way for so long. It's not as if there hasn't been countless threads with feedback either... It's shaping up to be a repeat of Kubrows.

On the flip side... Regarding companions again, I suppose this suggestion reduces the point of grabbing loot during the mission, but one way to get rid of all these vacuum problems and comparisons is by having it that any uncollected loot dropped during the round is automatically gathered and given to players once the round is completed.

Edited by Naith

Umbra: I'm expecting a skin. My excitement is like a flaccid worm.

Warframe Social: No I don't really care about comms. I either play solo or when with friends we use Steam for comms.

Companions: This problem can be fixed pretty easily. GIVE EVERYONE ACCESS TO VACUUM. PROBLEM SOLVED. PEOPLE WILL USE OTHER SUPPORTS. So similarity I guess. But Vacuum is the number one reason why everyone uses Carrier and no CHesas retrieving is not good enough it needs to be auto loot. Hell here's a better idea make vacuum the default way we get loot. THEN we can get some diversity into the supports.This is such an obvious QoL update. Do IT. Please.

Volt: Rehaul Pikachu all you want. He used to be my favourite frame but now he's gotten pretty mixed results against every faction. Thing is I have no clue what to do with him when it comes to a rework. But there are other frames that need help more than Volt. Limbo for example and Ember and I'd like to be free from Desecrate spam with Nekros.

Edited by Ziegrif

Sentinels: Carrier is the most used Companion simply because it has an *extremely* valuable and (mostly) reliable utility that the Chesa Kubrow just doesn't match right now. If other Sentinels and Kubrows received abilities that provide other valuable utilities (not necessarily another Vaccum) such as deploying a barrier when the owner is at low Health, then options will open up for everyone.

Volt: He's actually fine where he is now. Any sort of improvement would be welcome, but not required.

Edited by Mattac0n

Companions:

Diversity is a good thing! But there are some abilities that should be available for all the companions.

If Vacuum is made available for all the Kubrows and Sentinels, we'll see a lot more variety when it comes down to companion. 

This is a grind game. Loot plays a huge part. Therefore, a skill that drastically improves your loot efficiency will outperform all the others. I'm sure Greedy Pull made it pretty clear before it got nerfed.

That's why, Carrier should get a different skill and Vacuum should become a companion skill.

For instance, Carrier could gain the ability to pick up and store energy, HP and ammo for later use.

Edited by KingTaro

I have kind of mixed feelings about the Umbra thing. I already put a LOT of effort into my Excalibur, and he's always been special to me because he was my first frame, and I've played with him with the idea that he'd be the only default frame that I'd never have to some day replace with a prime. I personally kinda hope he's just a skin, despite how cool it might be to have an even better Excalibur, I don't think I could bring myself to stop using my classic model. 

And on that note, I'm not sure how I'd feel about having even more variations of other frames as well. Having the Primes feels like enough to me. The only way I'd be excited about Umbra frames is if there was a unique, non-grindy way of obtaining them. 

As for companions, I think Vacuum could be turned into a companion mod that works like Animal Instinct. More mod variety would be lovely on these guys, and it would keep people from only using Carrier all the time. Chesa and Carrier would need new abilities, but I'm sure you guys could come up with something creative - but while you're working on that, you might wanna make sure the other sentinel's abilities are up to snuff. They feel a bit buggy as of late.

Volt definitely needs some love in a similar fashion to how you guys handled Frost and ExcalIbur. The last two frame reworks were amazing. You managed to give every ability multiple uses, and even gave them synergy with their other abilities. I'd LOVE to see you guys do that again with Volt. Shock and Overload are in the most need of some additional effects (Overload being the one that cries out to me the strongest). 

I'd suggest that Umbra Frames have something different besides the skin...like for an example, if Excal and Excal Prime have Exalted blades, Excal Umbra could have a whip, or since Umbra means shadow, instead of Blind Rage like Exal & Prime have, Excal Umbra could have something like a Shadow Blind, that blinds enemies by placing them in a shadow (like Limbos banish)....Umbra Frames could have some unique abilities, not different from the originals, same power, but different manifest if you get me....

I'd suggest that Umbra Frames have something different besides the skin...like for an example, if Excal and Excal Prime have Exalted blades, Excal Umbra could have a whip, or since Umbra means shadow, instead of Blind Rage like Exal & Prime have, Excal Umbra could have something like a Shadow Blind, that blinds enemies by placing them in a shadow (like Limbos banish)....Umbra Frames could have some unique abilities, not different from the originals, same power, but different manifest if you get me....

If it has a different weapon then the name "Excalibur" is pointless lol

Companions

I've got a Dethcube and a Shade that I never have use for because Carrier is too convenient.

Not that convenience is a bad thing, just that 90% of the players I meet in missions default to Carrier. It sort of makes updated releases of companions pointless, no?

Last I checked, Scott made statements along the lines of "We'll be giving Vacuum to other sentinels as soon as we think of a replacement ability for Carrier."

Players have suggested many replacements since this was stated over the past... year? And what we have to show for it is a vain attempt to copy Carrier for Kubrows, when we just asked for Fetch to be an ability we could equip to any of them in the same vein.

I don't think it's a question of "diversity"; it's a matter of asking players to choose between active gameplay and passive metagaming, and expecting the wrong answer.

Volt

Personally, I think all of his abilities are good except for perhaps Overload; it suffers from the same issue as all damage attacks, falloff against armor. It's also balanced around a mechanic it can only pull off once per mission on some mission types. Having the electronics not be a limited resource would be an excellent improvement to this ability.

For the cherry on top, Electric Shield has a weird position in his kit; it's not a bad ability, I just think it should be more mobile to work better with Speed, since they presently encourage opposing playstyles. Just having an augment to pick it up and have it follow your cursor would solve this instantly.

Something I want to point out though: Having Excalibur release blinding flashes on spin attacks does not increase the value of or synergy with Radial Blind - the melee Finisher buff does. Having Frost turn people into icicles with two other abilities and a passive does not increase the value of or synergy with Freeze - it overshadows and obsoletes Freeze, newfound interaction with Snow Globe aside.

I do appreciate that Scott wants to make abilities complement one another, but his definition of "synergy" needs some fine-tuning.

Edited by Archwizard

1. My hype on Umbra depends on if this is going to be a new skin or an entirely new type a frame all together because I like the whole thing about for with primes you can just tap a death orb and it'll help you along in the void but other than that we don't really have anything that can help us in the planets/derelict so it'd be nice if it'd be focused on benefiting us in one or the other.

2.Not really sure where you're going on this but gl my only problem is in terms of trade chat it's kinda annoying to type something and then see it disappear of the screen in .5 seconds

3. Needs diversity if we didn't have that then there'd be no point in having diversity in frames either then imo :\

4. This was jsut my opinion in another post it can be thrown around however you want but I think it'd solve the need to use every skill pretty much.

So from what I understand everyone wants a passive, a buff to his 1st ability, and to do something about that horrible 4th.

My idea is make his passive a buildup for his 4th ie: enemies affected by 1/2/3 will add ticks to a charge for his ult

Each charge will boost his 4th abilities damage...50%? With a max of 10 charges giving it a 500% damage buff at max capacity(See what I did there made the whole word Overload make sense now. How is it an overload if all you do is press the button with nothing charging said Overload)

So hitting enemies with Shock will add a .25 charge per hit(since it chains)(+ give it a damage buff)

Speed will now come built in with the augment(also buffs parkour) and will add .10 charge per enemy ran into(Since with the speed buff you'll hit a good amount of enemies pretty quick and it can be abused then)

Electric Shield will remain the same and will add 1 charge per X amount of damage absorbed(still cant be destroyed though)

Now when casting Overload initial animation speed will remain the same but due to charges cast speed should increase with charge so 1 charge is 5%% cast speed buff(similar to Embers speed buff for her Accelerant)

So this is my idea for adding a passive. Buffing/adding reason for to use Shock, a reason to use Speed a reason to use Electric Shield and an even bigger reason to use Overload.

I think Chesa should be able to pick up items and send automatically to your pick up without it having to walk to you and drop the item and then you pick it up. That way its is more "Carrier Like" since carrier is alwYs near you picking up stuff, its almost like carrier was adding stuff to your inventory without you having to walk over and pick up items.

Concerning companions, I think more utility is needed. What does that mean?

People love to use Carrier, because he's very useful. You can just run in a straight line in the middle of a pool of loot, instead of having to zig-zag in order to pick everything up. It's great!

But on the other hand, many veteran players that don't like the Carrier monopoly have pointed out that Vacuum makes for lazy gameplay, that it's kinda like a crutch, and that picking up loot isn't that hard at all.

So what's the problem? Many say that people only use Carrier because he's too useful, but I disagree; I think the real problem is that all the other Sentinels aren't useful enough, with the possible exception of Helios. I mean, look at Wyrm's Crowd Dispersion. I don't know about you, but when I use Wyrm (which is rare, because, as stated, he's not useful), I don't even notice when that ability goes off. It's that insignificant. As it stands, there's little difference between equipping non-Carrier and non-Helios Sentinels, and equipping nothing at all.

The other Sentinels all need unique and prominent effects of their own. Effects that are readily noticeable, and leave you no doubt about why it's a good idea to be using that Sentinel. You know, like Vacuum.

tl;dr - Carrier doesn't need a nerf, all other Sentinels need buffs.

Edited by Mcl_BlueMadness

Umbra Expectations

I see these new kind of frames, as bad as primes, wraits, vandals, prismas, etc, they are the same thing over and over, whit just different stats.

The diversity between them is of the lowest quality, there is no reason to have both a regular and prime, since they do the same thing, and primes only exist to make the regular equipment obsolete and inferior.

Primes frames should have different abilities, or roles, strategies, or purposes, something significant that justify owning both, and that would justify both variation being equally worth and viable.

And weapons, comparing their regular to the primes, wraith etc, should have also significant differences, as an example the latron compared to the tiberon.

So the new variation, umbra, doesn't excite me the least, since I know its yet another mastery fodder that will act and play just like the current stuff, and will make the existent frames useless.

Chesa and other companions

Carrier it's everything.

Its a loot game, and carrier is so freaking useful, all other companions live miles away under his huge shadow.

Companions also need to have innate abilities, just like the frames and archwing, just remove those ability mods from the drop tables once and for all.

Sentinels need a new way to revive, since regen is a ridiculous non-functional mod, just do a sentinel re-deploy item, just like we can spawn specters.

Kubrows are very very bad, they are too much demanding and complex on everything, in obtaining them, in building them, in maintaining them, even to get rid of them, etc, just bad and not worth, not a fan at all.

Volt

Volt is fine, I play him allot, and I like him just like he is, he doesn't need changes at all, nor should he be on the list for near-future reworks.

And we dont need more rhino, or ember, or valkyr reworks, we need a huge limbo rework, re-build from the ground up, since the very beginning he as been bad and hated by most, he is so bad only a few players defend his quality, and so bad ppl don't even want to have a limbo in their squad.

EDIT: Do not get why so many complain about Overlord, its the best ability he haves, I don't even care if it doesn't do any damage or whatever you ppl complain, I just use it as a stun CC ability with max range, and its the best thing ever, I totally rule any enemy at any level just by using overlord as a utility-stun strategy.

What's next?...

- Time for a proper stealth gameplay, an actual mechanic and system for it, and really thing it trough if it should just be a mission type or something for any mission, cause even the idea of stealth seems to belong to this game, but also doesn't fit well in general.

- Do not waist ur time to fix, tweek, change, or improve archwing, it will always be a side-game that ppl will never care much; so if ur ever going to do a archwing 2.0 think of it as an extra-bonus mission type, accessible and 100% rewording all the time.

- Much more alerts, there should be around 10 to 20 live alerts at any given hour, and even some void alerts (no need for prime parts rewards on these)

Edited by 7grims