Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Opticor Should Not Be Silent.

Brimir

Firing it definitely ought to give away your position to the enemy. Not only due to sound, but the rather glaring and obvious trail the laz0r leaves behind when firing.

Currently you can fire the beam in front of an enemy's face and due to the weapon being silent, they won't see it at all!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=508631749

You fixed the Ogris, please fix the Opticor as well.

Edited by Brimir

light doesn`t even have a sound, the sfx it makes is probably to help players use it, as u use 2 senses then, hearing and seeing, the light beam that it creates while charging should be visible by them, though.

also, why exactly do you want to make a good weapon worse?

anyways, if i would change anything about opticor, it`d be ammo max, it has more than braton p and all snipers, why exactly does it use rifle ammo? it`s a sniper

light doesn`t even have a sound, the sfx it makes is probably to help players use it, as u use 2 senses then, hearing and seeing, the light beam that it creates while charging should be visible by them, though.

anyways, if i would change anything about opticor, it`d be ammo max, it has more than braton p and all snipers, why exactly does it use rifle ammo? it`s a sniper

1. It is not about the light making a sound, but the gun itself. It is not silent by any means when charging/firing da laz0r. You'd definitely hear it.

2. The only way they could simulate the light attracting enemies would be making the gun noisy when it fires.

3. Did the Ogris becoming noisy make it worse? Not in my opinion. I feel it is far, faaar worse and immersion breaking having weapons like these act as if they are being quiet as a mouse when they clearly aren't.

4. Sssshhh...! You're one to cry foul about trying to make the weapon worse, lol...

You are saying that they should hear the weapon making a loud noise and flash when I can put a silence mod on a tonkor and do the same thing you are saying is bad. Bows have a firing noise too but they're silent normally.

Also related to enemy awareness I can go invisible and stealth kill enemies right in front of each other.

Edited by (PS4)inuyasha279

1. It is not about the light making a sound, but the gun itself. It is not silent by any means when charging/firing da laz0r. You'd definitely hear it.

2. The only way they could simulate the light attracting enemies would be making the gun noisy when it fires.

3. Did the Ogris becoming noisy make it worse? Not in my opinion. I feel it is far, faaar worse and immersion breaking having weapons like these act as if they are being quiet as a mouse when they clearly aren't.

4. Sssshhh...! You're one to cry foul about trying to make the weapon worse, lol...

1-nor paris prime is, it is actually LOUDER than opticor, and paris/dread fire sound is loud as hell, yet you don`t mind it, why exactly opticor if you seek realism?

2-or maybe DE adding a new mechanic?

3-ogris is an AoE nuke, not meant for normal missions, opticor, on the other hand, is basically a sniper with a bit of splash AoE, seems it should keep silence

4-not sure i got it right, but from what I got, u say less ammo will make it worse than loud shots

I`ll never figure why people demand for PVE nerfs

Edited by Bizzaro21

You are saying that they should hear the weapon making a loud noise and flash when I can put a silence mod on a tonkor and do the same thing you are saying is bad. Bows have a firing noise too but they're silent normally.

Also related to enemy awareness I can go invisible and stealth kill enemies right in front of each other.

The Opticor has this by default - your argument is invalid.

Enemy awareness being bad in the realm of their ability to discern things based on sight, such as but not limited to the seeing of their allies' corpses pinned to the walls by arrows, is sort of a necessity.  Warframe being designed the way it is, with interconnecting tiles, means that "standardized" enemy patrols aren't usually as simple or predictable as they'd be in a purist stealth game.

So leaving it that foes don't see these sorts of things is fine for now, as it allows what stealth we have to exist in a usable manner.  Having enemies being able to notice such details would cause stealth to become an effective impossibility in practically every case.  So having things work in the manner they do now is acceptable, as far as I'm concerned.

Now as for the Opticor itself, it does seem silly for it to be a silent weapon.  The argument some are putting forth about what we players hear is nonsensical however, as even "silent" weapons make distinct sound effects.  This is done to make the weapon feel complete, rather than being some such design feature.  The Opticor having or not having a firing sound is not relevant to this discussion in any ways, and isn't something which can be used to justify its "sound type" either way.  Firing sounds heard by players are just sound effects, nothing more or less.  The Paris Prime's draw string and firing animations are far from inaudible to players, but silence by firing type is a mechanic so that just works.

Honestly, the Opticor doesn't seem to be a weapon which should be silent.  It's a high powered beam rifle which generates a small explosion at the point of impact.  That doesn't mean it has to make noise, but the gun being silent doesn't particularly make sense.  Maybe it could be made to have the middle-ground firing sound mechanic, so it is more likely to alarm nearby foes but isn't flat out super loud.  Distinguishing it a bit from other weapons while removing the pure silence it has.

The Opticor has this by default - your argument is invalid.

Attica

Weapons that read as not being silent so UI says Alarming but in-game perform as Silent awareness with no Silencer Mod needed:

Latron Wraith (was previously silent before Reverb 2.0(?))

Dera Vandal (says Alarming but you can stand behind 2 enemies and shoot 1 without any enemies becoming alarmed....weapon is Spy friendly)

I assume Karak Wraith behaves the same way the Latron Wraith and Dera Vandal, but I cannot test.

Latron Wraith is audibly louder than normal Latron or Latron Prime yet performs in-game like a silent weapon.

I do not see how these are any different.

Opticor's Explosions usually alert enemies since they do not seem to kill enemies as reliably.

Same as equipping Thunderbolt on a Bow/Attica....loses Stealth viability even if you also equip Silence Mod.

Now as for the Opticor itself, it does seem silly for it to be a silent weapon.  The argument some are putting forth about what we players hear is nonsensical however, as even "silent" weapons make distinct sound effects.  This is done to make the weapon feel complete, rather than being some such design feature.  The Opticor having or not having a firing sound is not relevant to this discussion in any ways, and isn't something which can be used to justify its "sound type" either way.  Firing sounds heard by players are just sound effects, nothing more or less.  The Paris Prime's draw string and firing animations are far from inaudible to players, but silence by firing type is a mechanic so that just works.

Honestly, the Opticor doesn't seem to be a weapon which should be silent.  It's a high powered beam rifle which generates a small explosion at the point of impact.  That doesn't mean it has to make noise, but the gun being silent doesn't particularly make sense.  Maybe it could be made to have the middle-ground firing sound mechanic, so it is more likely to alarm nearby foes but isn't flat out super loud.  Distinguishing it a bit from other weapons while removing the pure silence it has.

Finally someone who gets it.

I would even argue further; not only doesn't it make sense for it to be slient but it actually ruins the immersion of running around with the physically biggest, most badass laz0r rifle in the game when enemies don't react appropriately. Look at the freaking screenshot in my opening post in this thread - that Crewman just kept on walking like nothing had happened. That's just laughably wrong.

Same thing when I ran with the silent Ogris, really. It didn't feel like a rocket launcher.

Edited by Brimir

1. Electronics that charge that much power to shoot such a devastating laser definitly emit a sound.

2. Guess what a thunder is.

Bows, Rakta are silent by default also but I can hear their loud firing noise, I heard the latron wraith is also.

An enemy doesn't pay attention to their surroundings.

"Bows" and "loud firing noise" in the same sentence.

39.jpg

I agree, not only should it make noise while shooting the laser, it should alert enemies (light alert) when charging up.

The second isn't possible. Just like there is no system/mechanic for them to spot projectiles, they can't spot light. Only sound...

People. It's supposed to be alarming. It says so in the Codex. It's a bug they probs don't know how to fix yet. Your opinions don't matter, because the game literally tells us what it is supposed to do, but it doesn't fulfill it properly. They'll get to it. Eventually. Probably. Maybe? Hopefully . . . 

The second isn't possible. Just like there is no system/mechanic for them to spot projectiles, they can't spot light. Only sound...

What I mean is the alert they have when they know something is up but not at full alert. They don't know where it's coming from but they scramble around.

1. Electronics that charge that much power to shoot such a devastating laser definitly emit a sound.

2. Guess what a thunder is.

1- you hear the gun charging, it isn`t loud enough to make a 10 meter alarm

2-thunder is the sound of lightening, which is electricity, not light alone

"Bows" and "loud firing noise" in the same sentence.

do you even play, bro? dread is loud when shooting, paris prime is loud when charging and when shooting, my question here to you, why did you demand this "nerf" to opticor only?