Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Qol And/or Issues With Throwing Melee

CY13ERPUNK

ok awhile back there was an issue of where when you hold the melee button down to throw the glaive-type melee weapons that you would do a quick atk swipe/half-swipe/whatevs right before u started 'charging' to actually throw the weapon

this semi-cancelled animation caused the tenno to take a half-step forwards and meant that if u were high up on a ledge and close to the edge, trying to throw your melee would cause you to step forwards and fall off the ledge 

this previous thread sums it all up, and user Casardis gives very nice videos to highlight the issue as well

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/304424-why-are-glaivekestrel-users-punished-for-being-equipped/

so anyways, for a short but lovely time, this unnecessary movement and half-step was removed, the awkward half-atk-swing animation was unfortunately NOT removed, but whatevs, my tenno had stopped flying off of ledges and walking forward when all i wanted to do was throw a glaive and stay stationary

fast-forward to the present day post U17 in all its lovely new parkour v2 glory

sadly the age-old problem is back again =[, so now not only do we have to deal with the pre-charge atk animation, we also have to deal with the return of the dreaded stutter-step =[

im sure that i am not alone, even though glaive-type melee users are a rare breed, but im sure that others would appreciate some attention and a fix for the above issues

lastly i think that the throwing melee weapons simply give up too much for their 'utility' mods that are borderline 'required' for viable functionality ; im talking about functional melee dmg here

atm i think 'power throw' is actually in a fine spot, as it not only gives punchthrough but the radial burst as well on the last bounce

however i think that 'whirlwind' and 'quick return' and 'rebound' all need some luv, possibly in the form of dual-stats, ie: 

whirlwind could give its flight spd as well as additional atk spd, say 50% of what 'fury' gives 

quick return could give its reduced bounces as well as additional flight spd, say 50% of what 'whirlwind' gives 

rebound could give its extra bounces as well as more dmg, say 50% of what 'pressure point' gives

[of course another issue entirely is that currently the extra bounces are incredibly likely to hit nothing and just waste time, so possibly the rebound mod should include a much better ricochet function instead of just a simple dmg buff, ie ricochet towards nearby enemies instead of just at whatevs angle]

i dont know if this is necessarily the best course of action, but i dont see what else to do to deal with the fact that most throwing melee weapons give up 3 slots for non-dmg mods, which rly hurts, especially considering how hurting for dmg all melee is to begin with

finally there is also of course the anticipation that the return of 'charge atks' for melee "v3" could bring back a whole host of new mods related to charge spd/dmg/etc, but since thats all still hazy or in-the-works, its just wishful thinking at this point

neways, not trying to make the glaive OP or FotM, just trying to appeal for some luvn and attention from the devteam =]

thanks in advance

EDIT : also sad that we cannot throw the glaive-type weapons from either a wall-latch or while on a zipline =[, would be really awesome if we could do both/either of these things

me personally ive always wanted a way to be able to charge/throw my glaive while jumping or in mid-air, and of course with parkour v1 it would have been tricky but there were still plenty of times i wanted to, but now with parkour v2 and aim-gliding, there is a TON of hang-time in the air and being able to throw the glaive from while in the air would be SUPER cool

and final addendum add-on : since there are already 'unarmed' melee animations ingame [we see them during the zankua 'captured' mission, and they borrow from the 'sparring' stances i believe], it would be nice to have those available at ALL times when a tenno does not currently have a melee weapon in-hand, ie if you are not bringing one into a mission, a tenno should be able to open crates with their fist/foot instead of being required to shoot

and as well, it would be nice if a tenno could use unarmed melee atks/animations while a glaive is/was in flight

thnx to TaylorsContraction for the reminders =], who also brought up a good idea in that using the new dedicated alt-fire button could give some of these options/abilities a home

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

Also it'd be nice to implement Dark Sector mechanics of glaive throwing. If you release the button at some moment the glaive should fly faster, make more damage and punch through the enemies.

The same thing happens with the redeemer, you are forced to attack before being able to shoot/throw which means you will unable to move side to side during that first attack if you have the option align attacks to camera on.

What's most funny is that this stupid animation doesn't play if your melee is not equipped. Glaive is just thrown, Redeemer just shoots.

Also it'd be nice to implement Dark Sector mechanics of glaive throwing. If you release the button at some moment the glaive should fly faster, make more damage and punch through the enemies.

What's most funny is that this stupid animation doesn't play if your melee is not equipped. Glaive is just thrown, Redeemer just shoots.

yes it is most odd that the bug only effects the throwing melee if it is the currently equipped/readied weapon, if i have my primary/sidearm/scanner out, it does not occur

I'm new to throwing weapons since I recently got a glaive prime, but I've been thinking if throwing weapons auto-targeted enemies after their first bounce from geometry would be a good change. I've been playing around with the mods and I can't seem to find a reason to increase the bounce count when they hardly hit anything except on the initial and return path unless I'm lucky. Seems like a lower bounce count is preferable so you can get it in your hands that much faster for another throw.

Running around with proto excal and glaive skin is fun, I'd like to hope I can make the glaive raid-worthy.   

I'm new to throwing weapons since I recently got a glaive prime, but I've been thinking if throwing weapons auto-targeted enemies after their first bounce from geometry would be a good change. I've been playing around with the mods and I can't seem to find a reason to increase the bounce count when they hardly hit anything except on the initial and return path unless I'm lucky. Seems like a lower bounce count is preferable so you can get it in your hands that much faster for another throw.

Running around with proto excal and glaive skin is fun, I'd like to hope I can make the glaive raid-worthy.   

yep, uv pretty much encountered what everyone else has, the quick return mod is vastly superior to rebound due to ingame mechanics atm ; and IMHO that is a crying shame, as having one be so clearly 'better' is not good design

thusly the ideas/improvements i proposed in the OP [not that they are my ideas alone, but the culmination of many like minds]

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

Honestly, I wish they'd increase the amount of tracking that the glaives do after a bounce to veer even more towards enemies, it would make the bouncing of the glaives more useful and effectively mean that the glaives hit more enemies to compensate for their rather low damage. It would mean the rebound effectively gave more hits on the weapon.