Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Not A Cobra's Big Suggestion List Mk 2 (Check Reguarly For Updates)

NotaCobra

So unsurprisingly, I hit the maximum thread size in my last Big suggestion thread.

As a result, I have created Another, complete with a couple of placeholder posts just to make sure I don't run out of room before I run out of ideas.

Link Plugs:
My Previous thread; https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/41391-not-a-cobras-big-suggestion-list-check-regularly-for-updates/

A Weapon suggestion thread collaborated by myself and a friend: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/44925-gb-and-cobras-weapon-conestoga/

Without further ado,

Not a Cobra's Big Suggestion Thread 2!

------------------------------------------------------------

I spy with my eagle eye:

So when I first found the new eagle eye mod, I was extremely excited, Having a latron (or better yet, the new latron prime) with a zoom function would be amazing, burston too....To say nothing of it's sidearm counterpart coupled with a Lex.

Then I used it... and I may never use it again.

Instead of a true zoom, or better yet a scope, we just get a slightly smaller Field of View (Seriously, you can get the same effect by adjusting your settings slightly).

Move your back to a wall, or try behind cover, and suddenly you get a really good view of your warframe's shoulder.

In fact, the higher the rank, the worse the effect.

This coupled with the fact that it doesn't decrease spread actually makes it more frustrating to have than not having it... to get an eye full of shoulder and not be able to hit the grineer in the distance you zoomed in to look at... ugh.

So this is a two part suggestion;

Give eagle eye and hakweye a true scope, or at least a first person zoom. If you're using up a mod slot, you deserve that much.

Add a mod which decreases weapon spread. For weapons like the latron, it makes a low damage, high fire-rate sniper, for the gorgon it turns them into quite a lethal weapon. Of course, using up a mod slot at least partially balances such a mod.

All the colours of... half a rainbow:

First of all, I love the colour packs, I think they're a good way for supporters to show off and customize their game...

However, so many portions of warframes, sentinels and weapons are actually impossible to customize. For weapons like the latron prime which are characterized by their unique appearance, I can almost understand, but with only 2 noticable changes applicable to my wyrm, it's a little disapointing.

If you're going to give us the option to recolour, let us colour the lot.

If that makes a group of warframes look like a pack of skittles, so be it, that's the players choice, but at least give them that choice, they paid for it after all.

wrfr4m i5 so ttly r4d0m lul:

There is just... too much RNG in warframe right now, I know everyone has said it already, and no doubt the devs are working on portions of it, so this suggestion while being aimed at RNG in general will mention one specific example:

The mods in storage containers in secret rooms in void towers.

The issue being;

Playing the game, you have a chance of getting a void key. If you're lucky, within that mission you have a chance of getting a treasure room. To get to that treasure room, you have to complete a small challenge (Woo! effort, I actually approve of this part), once in the room, there's a small chance you'll find a storage container. Within that storage container there is a small chance of finding a mod. That mod has a small chance at being one of the new, rare, mods.

A chance at a chance at challenge for a chance of a chance of a chance is just stupid.

Either

a) Garuntee that all the boxes in a treasure room drop mods (That way, worst case scenario, you still get some reward, even if only a mediocre one.

or

B) Have one preset box that WILL contain a rare mod within a treasure room (But perhaps only spawns on Tower II or III such that they're not too easily obtained)

Not a Cobra's Inevitable PvP Suggestion:
I abstained for a while... but with the dojo pvp being released, I simply must step in.

Many people have debated over how pvp in a game like warframe should be handled, so many instagibby weapons and abilities, stealth, fast impossible to counter movements and a huge gap between the people with fully modded out weapons and intermediate players.

As such, a pvp system based on your actual progress would be nearly impossible, sans the current dueling system.

What I propose is something 90's gamers should be familiar with: A deathmatch Games whereby all weapons are scattered about a set map in set locations.

You get to them first, you wield them.

For the purposes of this proposal, all weapons would be slightly adjusted to be balanced without mods, as they'd all be treated as a level 1 unmodded version of the weapon.

Warframes too would have to be rebalanced. Abilities like rhino's iron skin, or saryn's ult, or vauban's electro mines would have to have severe restrictions (Perhaps base energy is limited to 50, to get to 100, players would have to acquire a valuable powerup, allowing an ultimate to be used once, or other abilities used an extra time or two before energy depletes).

Less like call of duty, more like quake and others.

actually, Super Smash Bros + quake would be a good way to describe it; quick reflexes and mastery of one's abilities facilitated by simple maps with strategic weapon placement or locations to move to.

It would take a lot of effort on DE's part to make it work, and make it fun.

But it could add a warframe style pvp game, where the ninja wall running, meleeing, fast paced action is still applicable in a group pvp setting.

If they can pull it off, it could be some of the best pvp since TF2 was good.

EDIT 1:

Shock and... aww...:

At the moment, jump attacks are only useful in the situations they shouldn't be used in.

That is to say, tiny little hops while sorrounded by enemies, followed by a knee high jump attack.

Then watching as every enemy around you gets set on fire and knocked back, or knocked over and frozen there, or just outright killed.

Meanwhile, huge, well timed jumps from great height directly on an enemy's head are less effective than a charge attack.

I would like to see the radius, and possibly even damage, of jump attacks increase relative to the distance jumped.

In addition to this, a visual upgrade representative of such would be great, to have your screen constantly full of red flashes as you hop on the spot is unrealistic.

Also somewhat related, Somebody needs to fix jump attack gravity, at present a jump attack from great height just casually lowers you down, not only is it unrealistic, but it makes the previous suggestion less viable.

Welcome to warframe, here's your colostomy bag, you'll need it:

The difficulty curve of warframe seems a little skewed at present.

There's no point discussing end game difficulty here, it needs to be increased but I personally don't have the answer (yet).

The problem is that the first few levels are very difficult for new players now, something about recent updates and the grineer galleon is giving up to 200 enemies in a solo run of Terminus or Mprime.

For players with a couple of modded weapons, or even a low level warframe, it's not a problem. But for brand new players unfamiliar with level design and gameplay, to dive into the first level solo can be a pants messing experience.

This in turn makes warframe less accessible for new players attempting to play without a group of friends.

The only thing needed to fix this is a reduction in the spawn rate of enemies in the first couple of levels, and possibly a preset, simplified, level layout, rather than the normal chaotic RNG.

Players can learn how the mechanics of the game work, what levels look like and how they play out in a much safer setting.

The alternative is a more helpful tutorial as the current one is somewhat lacklustre.

You've had the appetizer, here's the main:

At present, most levels are quite short and, while fun, seem quite grindy and arcadey as a result of repetition.

A couple of longer levels, akin to the boss fights in current planetary systems, would be quite welcome.

Imagine longer missions with preset paths, specific objectives leading to more interesting boss fights and a more satisfying conclusion.

They can even incorporate current mechanics very easily, but with a little more plot and backstory.

I'll give an example;

Lotus tells you to take out Mr.Evil, he's some big bad grineer leader.

But he's protected by a force field, an elite squad of units and has a powerful cybernetic suit.

So to begin the mission, you must infiltrate the base undetected, taking out the few sentries stationed along the way (meaning at least one person in your party should have a stealth weapon and clear the way for the others), if you're found, the level becomes more difficult, increased enemy's spawn or advantages lost etc. Once you've infiltrated the base, you find the codes (in the form of data packets) and take them to the force field terminal, deceiving it into allowing you access.

Once you've entered the room in which Mr.Evil and his suit live, you participate in a unique boss fight which is either easier or more difficult based on whether you were discovered prior to infiltrating the base.

Defeating him causes him to initiate the ship's self destruct, forcing players to leave as quickly as possible.

This is just an example of a concept, but I would like to see this sort of thing added.

Eventually, yes, it will get a little repeditive, but other games have repetitive levels that are still enjoyable after extended play throughs by being challenging and interesting with decent rewards.

This is the key to games like WoW with some raids taking well over an hour.

And once again, my suggestions for now come to an end;

That said, if anyone has any suggestions of their own that they'd like me to add, send me a PM and if I like your ideas, I'll add them and credit you.

Edited by NotaCobra

First edition!

I spy with my eagle eye:

So when I first found the new eagle eye mod, I was extremely excited, Having a latron (or better yet, the new latron prime) with a zoom function would be amazing, burston too....To say nothing of it's sidearm counterpart coupled with a Lex.

Then I used it... and I may never use it again.

Instead of a true zoom, or better yet a scope, we just get a slightly smaller Field of View (Seriously, you can get the same effect by adjusting your settings slightly).

Move your back to a wall, or try behind cover, and suddenly you get a really good view of your warframe's shoulder.

In fact, the higher the rank, the worse the effect.

This coupled with the fact that it doesn't decrease spread actually makes it more frustrating to have than not having it... to get an eye full of shoulder and not be able to hit the grineer in the distance you zoomed in to look at... ugh.

So this is a two part suggestion;

Give eagle eye and hakweye a true scope, or at least a first person zoom. If you're using up a mod slot, you deserve that much.

Add a mod which decreases weapon spread. For weapons like the latron, it makes a low damage, high fire-rate sniper, for the gorgon it turns them into quite a lethal weapon. Of course, using up a mod slot at least partially balances such a mod.

All the colours of... half a rainbow:

First of all, I love the colour packs, I think they're a good way for supporters to show off and customize their game...

However, so many portions of warframes, sentinels and weapons are actually impossible to customize. For weapons like the latron prime which are characterized by their unique appearance, I can almost understand, but with only 2 noticable changes applicable to my wyrm, it's a little disapointing.

If you're going to give us the option to recolour, let us colour the lot.

If that makes a group of warframes look like a pack of skittles, so be it, that's the players choice, but at least give them that choice, they paid for it after all.

wrfr4m i5 so ttly r4d0m lul:

There is just... too much RNG in warframe right now, I know everyone has said it already, and no doubt the devs are working on portions of it, so this suggestion while being aimed at RNG in general will mention one specific example:

The mods in storage containers in secret rooms in void towers.

The issue being;

Playing the game, you have a chance of getting a void key. If you're lucky, within that mission you have a chance of getting a treasure room. To get to that treasure room, you have to complete a small challenge (Woo! effort, I actually approve of this part), once in the room, there's a small chance you'll find a storage container. Within that storage container there is a small chance of finding a mod. That mod has a small chance at being one of the new, rare, mods.

A chance at a chance at challenge for a chance of a chance of a chance is just stupid.

Either

a) Garuntee that all the boxes in a treasure room drop mods (That way, worst case scenario, you still get some reward, even if only a mediocre one.

or

B) Have one preset box that WILL contain a rare mod within a treasure room (But perhaps only spawns on Tower II or III such that they're not too easily obtained)

Not a Cobra's Inevitable PvP Suggestion:
I abstained for a while... but with the dojo pvp being released, I simply must step in.

Many people have debated over how pvp in a game like warframe should be handled, so many instagibby weapons and abilities, stealth, fast impossible to counter movements and a huge gap between the people with fully modded out weapons and intermediate players.

As such, a pvp system based on your actual progress would be nearly impossible, sans the current dueling system.

What I propose is something 90's gamers should be familiar with: A deathmatch Games whereby all weapons are scattered about a set map in set locations.

You get to them first, you wield them.

For the purposes of this proposal, all weapons would be slightly adjusted to be balanced without mods, as they'd all be treated as a level 1 unmodded version of the weapon.

Warframes too would have to be rebalanced. Abilities like rhino's iron skin, or saryn's ult, or vauban's electro mines would have to have severe restrictions (Perhaps base energy is limited to 50, to get to 100, players would have to acquire a valuable powerup, allowing an ultimate to be used once, or other abilities used an extra time or two before energy depletes).

Less like call of duty, more like quake and others.

actually, Super Smash Bros + quake would be a good way to describe it; quick reflexes and mastery of one's abilities facilitated by simple maps with strategic weapon placement or locations to move to.

It would take a lot of effort on DE's part to make it work, and make it fun.

But it could add a warframe style pvp game, where the ninja wall running, meleeing, fast paced action is still applicable in a group pvp setting.

If they can pull it off, it could be some of the best pvp since TF2 was good.

I'm going to look at your PvP suggestion, because the other two frankly just seem like common sense.  Short form - I love it.  Long form - I love it, but you're right, it will take a lot of work (of course, considering what's in my topic...).  Now, this is coming from someone who still plays UT2K4 on a regular basis and who hasn't seen Dojo duelling in action yet, but I seriously think that the main points here are reducing weapons to Unranked just by stepping into the ring (not warframes, though, because skills are very much central and with neither skills nor defense mods it would be just as unbalanced as the other way around) and severely limiting energy and energy gain.  In fact, if you're going to randomly scatter power-ups then energy is probably a better candidate than artillery, given how powerful most of them are.  Coming from a Loki player, if I had my Paris-Kunai-Dark Sword loadout zeroed out and unmodded but just enough starting energy to get off a decoy or switch-tele then I'd be happy enough running like hell until I got the advantage I needed, and meanwhile my friend's Rhino would be holding position and blazing away with his Boltor or Hek until he caught me, tanking my first few arrows with a one-off Iron Skin and using the opportunity to wear me down.  It would work well, and it would put much greater emphasis on skill (mobility most of the time, but the heavies would still be viable as simple gun platforms), and above all if the room is well-designed it would be simple fun - and let's be honest, most of us play Warframe for the sheer joy of it.

-Snip-

I was thinking more than just bringing back weapons to their unmodded version, the game would separately balance warframes and weapons indepenant of pvp, that way you can have higher damage on weapons, since serration and multishot won't artificially enhahnce damage.

Likewise with warframes, they would have limited/modified abilities to better balance their power.

Giving players the choice to enter with their own weapons?

nyeh... this generation of shooters does the whole "Customize your weapon loadout" thing already, I wouldn't play warframe for another cod clone.

Bringing back the old weapon pickup style gives a lot more nostalgic fun for the older gamers out there (And I shudder to think that playing quake and doom makes me an "older gamer" now...)

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT 1:

Shock and... aww...:

At the moment, jump attacks are only useful in the situations they shouldn't be used in.

That is to say, tiny little hops while sorrounded by enemies, followed by a knee high jump attack.

Then watching as every enemy around you gets set on fire and knocked back, or knocked over and frozen there, or just outright killed.

Meanwhile, huge, well timed jumps from great height directly on an enemy's head is less effective and a charge attack.

I would like to see the radius, and possibly even damage, of jump attacks increase relative to the distance jumped.

In addition to this, a visual upgrade representative of such would be great, to have your screen constantly full of red flashes as you hop on the spot is unrealistic.

Also somewhat related, Somebody needs to fix jump attack gravity, at present a jump attack from great height just casually lowers you down, not only is it unrealistic, but it makes the previous suggestion less viable.

Welcome to warframe, here's your colostomy bag, you'll need it:

The difficulty curve of warframe seems a little skewed at present.

There's no point discussing end game difficulty here, it needs to be increased but I personally don't have the answer (yet).

The problem is that the first few levels are very difficult for new players now, something about recent updates and the grineer galleon is giving up to 200 enemies in a solo run of Terminus or Mprime.

For players with a couple of modded weapons, or even a low level warframe, it's not a problem. But for brand new players unfamiliar with level design and gameplay, to dive into the first level solo can be a pants messing experience.

This in turn makes warframe less accessible for new players attempting to play without a group of friends.

The only thing needed to fix this is a reduction in the spawn rate of enemies in the first couple of levels, and possibly a preset, simplified, level layout, rather than the normal chaotic RNG.

Players can learn how the mechanics of the game work, what levels look like and how they play out in a much safer setting.

The alternative is a more helpful tutorial as the current one is somewhat lacklustre.

You've had the appetizer, here's the main:

At present, most levels are quite short and, while fun, seem quite grindy and arcadey as a result of repetition.

A couple of longer levels, akin to the boss fights in current planetary systems, would be quite welcome.

Imagine longer missions with preset paths, specific objectives leading to more interesting boss fights and a more satisfying conclusion.

They can even incorporate current mechanics very easily, but with a little more plot and backstory.

I'll give an example;

Lotus tells you to take out Mr.Evil, he's some big bad grineer leader.

But he's protected by a force field, an elite squad of units and has a powerful cybernetic suit.

So to begin the mission, you must infiltrate the base undetected, taking out the few sentries stationed along the way (meaning at least one person in your party should have a stealth weapon and clear the way for the others), if you're found, the level becomes more difficult, increased enemy's spawn or advantages lost etc. Once you've infiltrated the base, you find the codes (in the form of data packets) and take them to the force field terminal, deceiving it into allowing you access.

Once you've entered the room in which Mr.Evil and his suit live, you participate in a unique boss fight which is either easier or more difficult based on whether you were discovered prior to infiltrating the base.

Defeating him causes him to initiate the ship's self destruct, forcing players to leave as quickly as possible.

This is just an example of a concept, but I would like to see this sort of thing added.

Eventually, yes, it will get a little repeditive, but other games have repetitive levels that are still enjoyable after extended play throughs by being challenging and interesting with decent rewards.

This is the key to games like WoW with some raids taking well over an hour.