Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 17.4.3: "max Framerate" Option

[DE]Linkski

What does vsync do and should I use it or cap my FPS (or not) with a 60hz monitor?

I am using full screen with a gateway 24" 1920 x 1200 60 hz monitor. 

V-sync is used to prevent screen tearing. It forces the game to only show you an image when an entire frame is rendered, ideally one frame per the refresh rate of your monitor. Turning v-sync off will show whatever is ready from the next frame and complete the image by making the rest up from the previous frame -- often resulting in screen tearing. 

The most common downside of v-sync occurs if your system is unable to maintain 60FPS. Your framerate will drop down to 30FPS so as to sync the frame to the refresh. This is why sometimes it may feel like your game is running slower than it should be for seemingly no reason at all, v-sync is essentially trying to catch up with all of your parkour / explosions / space dust. 

So in the case of a 60hz monitor I would recommend either using v-sync or turning it off and capping your framerate at 60FPS.
Edited by DE_Dmitri

Is it normal for it to run slightly lower than the capped frame rate when I turn the cap on? When I cap it at 60, I run at 58.xx constantly. When I cap it at 72, I run at 71.xx, which is close enough to 72 and still greater than 60, but a constant 58 frames on a 60 Hz monitor makes things jittery.

The most common downside of v-sync occurs if your system is unable to maintain 60FPS. Your framerate will drop down to 30FPS so as to sync the frame to the refresh.

I've only notice this happen during loading screens when you get to move the liset around, so is there an advantage in using v-sync over capping it at 60 or 72 frames (assuming the above mentioned 58 frames problem is resolved)?

I went back to using the automatic setting on VSync.  The 60hz limit was fine, but it makes my game run poorly and cap out at around 58 FPS.

58 fps is a bug. It is always couple frames less then limit for some reason. If you set it to 72 frames for example you will have 70.

I've only notice this happen during loading screens when you get to move the liset around, so is there an advantage in using v-sync over capping it at 60 or 72 frames (assuming the above mentioned 58 frames problem is resolved)?

V-sync adds a lot of input lag.

Also if you lock your windows v-sync will be disabled and your PC will melt down. (almost cost me a new PC) With frame rate cap that does not happen.

Edited by igo95862

A max framerate can only be set if V-sync is disabled...

Please let us know if there are any questions or concerns.

There's my concern.

The whole point of having a framerate cap, to me, is to avoid input latency while using vsync.  Setting the cap at or below your refresh rate allows you use Vsync without having an immense amount of input latency.

I wasn't able to change this option and searched for why, now I know.

Capping the framerate without vsync still exhibits tearing; it is completely pointless unless you're using something like G-Sync.

Looks like I'm going to have to force it in my drivers still..

Edited by DAOWAce

This might be a stupid question but since i don't know that much about V-sync i'll just ask it. Does capping the frame rate at 60 or even 30 fps increase performance? because my pc has trouble running the game sometimes which cause it to freeze and disconnect for a few sec.

I'd really like it if the actual framerate could be tightened up to be closer to the target. Or if we could have a slider to dial the target framerate in to our actual system performance.

I've been using the 144hz option since this came out, but am always running between 132-140 fps. Uncapped, I am much higher, so I do not believe that this is my system lagging.

This slight desync (~5-10% off target) has definitely affected my performance in conclave to the point where I am going to disable it or bump it to 200hz, even though I have a 144hz monitor (so that my gpu doesn't run at full speed in the Lisete, basically).

On the same lines, could we please have two different options, 'a framerate/vsync in Liset' option and a 'framerate/vsync in gameplay' option?

I feel that many players don't want to deal with their gpu's running at full blaze while idling around chatting in the Liset, but want completely different behavior while ingame where it counts.

Personally, I'd like the game to run at 60 fps in Liset, and uncapped in game (unless the framerate limit option is tightened up as mentioned above).

Thanks!

Edited by Pythadragon

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it, game ran noticeably worse than just leaving vsync enabled. Reminded me EXACTLY of when I'd use "Dynamic Framerate" in Radeon Pro, but that's been outdated since 2011 so I don't have it installed anymore to do a direct comparison. However, I DO remember whenever something causes my games to run like molasses turds, and that was one of them. Same issue w/actual rate ~2fps lower than target, same issue w/jitter, it was deja vu.

Bottom line, DE might want to look into how they implemented their framerate management, because it's miles away from helpful. (IMO)

since the last hotfix i and several others in my clan have been getting a bug that after reviving nothing works ..i.e. cant move shoot or anything . then being totaly vulnerable get killed again . the revive is subtracted from the 4 and most of the time the mission fails . thought by now this issue would have been addressed but i guess not . fix it .

since the last hotfix i and several others in my clan have been getting a bug that after reviving nothing works ..i.e. cant move shoot or anything . then being totaly vulnerable get killed again . the revive is subtracted from the 4 and most of the time the mission fails . thought by now this issue would have been addressed but i guess not . fix it .

Am I the only one absolutely mystified by how this has anything to do with framerate?

• 1 month later...

Ever since the last update I've been getting fps spikes with Vsync on, typically jumps to upper 60 to lower 70's but i have been getting jumps of 80+ fps

Edit: getting 110 fps in relays with VSync on.

Edited by Nova73

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's my concern.

The whole point of having a framerate cap, to me, is to avoid input latency while using vsync.  Setting the cap at or below your refresh rate allows you use Vsync without having an immense amount of input latency.

I wasn't able to change this option and searched for why, now I know.

Capping the framerate without vsync still exhibits tearing; it is completely pointless unless you're using something like G-Sync.

Looks like I'm going to have to force it in my drivers still..

I see there's a 72FPS option for people running at 75Hz I guess.  Too bad Vsync still disables the cap.

I've tried capping the framerate via Rivatuner, but anything above 60 causes a weird frame jittering issue.

I disabled RTSS and Vsync then set the cap ingame to 72, but that not only didn't resolve the jittering, it introduced tearing as well, as expected.

I uncapped the framerate and the jittering issue disappeared, except still have tearing (albeit minimal since it runs at 240FPS).

Something about capping the framerate in this game is broken, at least, if over 60Hz.  Maybe it's fine at a multiple of 60 (ie; 120Hz), but I don't have a 120Hz monitor to test that.

Shame the 15 extra frames I can get from my 75Hz monitor makes games feel far, far smoother than 60Hz/FPS.  Annoys me to play at 60FPS, especially in fast paced games like this.

Edited by DAOWAce

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing at 50 ever since the feature has been put in place, and am quite happy with the results. The quality and frames per seconds seem to be higher on the Dynex TV screen (mini HDMI) than on my old ACER (VGA).

Now my only trouble is that I'm (still) trying to find ways to get my girlfriend to play warframe but she can't look at the screen for more than a few seconds before getting dizzy to the point of sever discomfort if she insists on keeping on looking.

I think anything with crazy camera movements matched with high frame rate does it (cannot handle first-person shooters) because we can play Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed just fine as well as tamer third person games such as Dungeon Defenders (although only on her machine, since on mine unless I limit the frame rate, it can be too high or annoying if it's variable).

Now I've tried to show her the game running at both 50 and 30 fps, but it appears to still be causing issues. At 30 it's just too choppy. I was hoping I could select 40 but then wondered if I could just default it to ' No Limit ' and use a third party program (like FPS_Limiter) to run Warframe at a custom desired frame rate (like... 34 or 40) successfully ALSO without causing any red flags on my account thinking I'm trying to hack. I might sound paranoid, but I'd rather not test this out and find out the hard way that I ''wasn't wrong'' on my suspicions.

I think anything with crazy camera movements matched with high frame rate does it

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried turning down aim sensitivity via. the "Controls" options so that the camera movement is not as crazy? Also, if you would still like to try out a 40FPS cap we will have it available for you to test in the next hotfix. 

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

[...]

Now my only trouble is that I'm (still) trying to find ways to get my girlfriend to play warframe but she can't look at the screen for more than a few seconds before getting dizzy to the point of sever discomfort if she insists on keeping on looking.

[...]

If you haven't done so already try to increase the FOV. It might help with the motion sickness. Reducing the size of the screen also helps but it comes with some obvious downsides.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...