Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Suggestion) Polarity Intensification

Vyeth

Okay, so we now have a way to say "prestige" our equips so that we eventually can max every mod on our equips or warframes. However depending on how the fram is built you could have all your mods maxed by the 2nd prestige meaning no need to continue progression and polarizing the rest of your slots. On top of that, I feel that the polarization is still not enabling the pure customization I and some others like me crave.

Right now, mods are interchangable. Once you have one mod, you can effectively eliminate the need for copies as all you have to do before switching into a new frame is remove them and place them in the other no problem. I would like to offer a suggestion, to sort of, allow more customization on top of polarizing as well as giving players an opportunity to specialize at a price however..

*Once an area is polarized there should be another option. Intensification.. What this means is that the player can "stack" another identical card on - top of the polarized card to give benefit however use up resources as they normally would unpolarized (or you could even apply a slight penalty as in non matching polarization)

*This would allow players to actually forego the idea of polarizing each slot to fill the mod count, instead choosing to specialize in a certain area. Say like, if a character truly wanted to be a glass cannon, instead of using another Forma to poloarize another slot, they would use it to intensify an already polarized slot and slap another Focus on top of the polarized one which can be leveled as the previous one.

There are penalities of course to doing this:

*Once the slot is intensified and a clone card is placed on top, NEITHER CAN EVER BE REMOVED AGAIN..

*Also, if you intensify a slot that has been polarized but the mod is not fully leveled and you place a clone on top of it, the polarized card on the bottom MAY NOT EVER BE LEVELED AGAIN..

Of course there are other minor wrinkles to get out, but these are the basics. I hope that this is something you guys can work out in the future..

@Vyeth

They would really have to find a way to balance that then.

While this would allow for heavy specialization I can see people stacking some mods that could lead to some balance issues as well as causing possible bugs.

Think of rushers: a volt with a max level rush + a max level rush + speed ability. They had issues in the past with the map not rendering fast enough for that in the old mod system and it caused a lot of bugs. Also that would trivialize any higher level content for people who are aiming to rush through missions.

A rhino with +880% shields wouldn't need iron skin any more...

The reason they moved to the current mod system and away from the old one (which did allow for stacking of mods, such as 13 +50% speed mods) is to avoid bugs caused by overly stacked mods as well as to make it easier to balance the mods against each other.

And then there are mods that aren't supposed to be stacked. What about stacking 2 max level retributions...what would 120% chance to shock your enemies when they melee you do? How would they balance against 200% multishot? What about 2 max level stretch mods?

Im not trying to just be a damper on your idea, because it is interesting, I am just asking some basic balance questions. Such as how OP would Vauban be with 2 max level stretch mods when he throws down a bastille? Or 2 max level continuity mods when he throws down his vortex?

Edited by Tsukinoki

@Vyeth

They would really have to find a way to balance that then.

While this would allow for heavy specialization I can see people stacking some mods that could lead to some balance issues as well as causing possible bugs.

Think of rushers: a volt with a max level rush + a max level rush + speed ability. They had issues in the past with the map not rendering fast enough for that in the old mod system and it caused a lot of bugs. Also that would trivialize any higher level content for people who are aiming to rush through missions.

A rhino with +880% shields wouldn't need iron skin any more...

The reason they moved to the current mod system and away from the old one (which did allow for stacking of mods, such as 13 +50% speed mods) is to avoid bugs caused by overly stacked mods as well as to make it easier to balance the mods against each other.

And then there are mods that aren't supposed to be stacked. What about stacking 2 max level retributions...what would 120% chance to shock your enemies when they melee you do? How would they balance against 200% multishot? What about 2 max level stretch mods?

Im not trying to just be a damper on your idea, because it is interesting, I am just asking some basic balance questions. Such as how OP would Vauban be with 2 max level stretch mods when he throws down a bastille? Or 2 max level continuity mods when he throws down his vortex?

Well that is when the penalty on mod count comes into play.. You could make it balance out by making the mod weigh EXTEREMELY heavier per level on that intensified side..

So say like, they have a maxed Rush which is polarized for what, 5 mod points? Then they throw another Rush on top for intesnification , which would NOT use the same mod points as the poloarized one below, it would now use 15 or 16 at max level? Thats already like 20 mod points for just Rush if they really wanted the speed that bad, it would be a sacrifice to other areas. And the limit would be only 1 intensify per polarized slot, so while it would be stronger than a single rush, it would not be so intense that it would be an endless way to exert speed through one mod for all of your mod points.. There are ways to check and balance based on maximum mod points.. Because even with polarization, the mod max is still 30 (unless potatoed).. You can bend and fold that to balance whatever you'd need to balance from there.. It would be their choice ultimately..

Should I leave off this Steel Fiber so I can intensify this Rush and gain some extra speed or..

Edited by Vyeth

@Vyeth

Its actually out of 60 for potatoed gear, but I am simply asking the questions that should be considered and answered before going down considering ideas like this.

And I can see bumping it up so that you either dont get the polarity bonus for the card you are slapping ontop of the other one. So the base one would have its polarity reduced cost while the one you add to it to intensify it would have the full normal cost. That would definitely be one way to balance it.

The only other issue I have with yours is the "No way to undo it".

There should be a way to undo it in the end. Even using another forma to undo the intensification.

That way if your playing style changes and you want to go for more health or shields instead of energy you can do that instead of having to make a new frame. Otherwise it is just locking the player in and saying "Now you can never change your playing style with this frame."

Once the details are worked out this may be an interesting way to include more specialization in warframes and weapons, it would just require careful balancing work and I was just asking questions to see what checks were in place.

Once the details are worked out this may be an interesting way to include more specialization in warframes and weapons, it would just require careful balancing work and I was just asking questions to see what checks were in place.

No problem.. I'm glad you took the time to provide feedback and check it out.. Thanks.