Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Annoying Stuttering In Relay

Cat_Merc

Whenever I visit a relay, I get absolutely horrible stuttering, despite my frame rate claiming to be above 60 at all times. Frame times say 16.7ms according to Warframe's FPS counter. It's really hard to describe, it makes everything look jerky as hell when looking around.

My specs are:

Core i5 6600k @ 4.4Ghz,

AMD R9 390,

8GB of 2400Mhz DDR4

Edited by Cat_Merc

All I personally can suggest is lowering your graphics for relay visits, Shadow quality and Nvidia PhysiX Effects (if you're running with that on) could be the first ones to try out to lower and turn off to check for a improved performance. Keep in mind however that the more players there're around, the worse performance you'll get. (So maybe don't stick around in Larunda relay at the moment when Baro is around. If that's the relay you're visiting).

All I personally can suggest is lowering your graphics for relay visits, Shadow quality and Nvidia PhysiX Effects (if you're running with that on) could be the first ones to try out to lower and turn off to check for a improved performance. Keep in mind however that the more players there're around, the worse performance you'll get. (So maybe don't stick around in Larunda relay at the moment when Baro is around. If that's the relay you're visiting).

Is warframe really capable of overpowering an R9 390?

If it was framerate related then surely the FPS counter would show this?

You could try this out yourself, I see a lower FPS together with a increase of Time --ms together with higher RAM --MB usage. However I don't run AMD R9 390. More specificly I'm sitting on a NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 and 16 GB RAM.

If you really see this as a big of a deal and you've not unparked your CPU cores, have a look at this guide: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/289244-framerate-drops-high-cpu-loads-cpu-overheating-this-might-fix-it-cpu-core-unparking/

It've helped my performance being a tad smoother in situations where it before seemed to be lacking.

I've recognized these performance drops in Relays for month now. In some Areas there is "something" that drastically lowers FPS or what ever that it looks laggy. The Moment you enter a syndicate room, for example, it is gone.

​Make sure your pc isn't in balanced mode, you need switch to perfomance mode ( yeah it's also matters in PC, not only in laptop)
Click right button at Windows icon at left bottom, then go power options, there you can set to high perfomance mode

See if it's help. ​

The reason everyone gets lag at relays and void missions when a high number of objects are on screen when there GPU is not maxed out is because not everything in a game is handled by the GPU. Things like physics and artificial intelligence are handled traditionally by the CPU. So whenever you run into a situation were there is a ton of players running around like the relays which all have to have physics calculated even when they are standing still and all of the none player AI being generated in the Void once you reach a certain point your CPU cant keep up resulting in stuttering or lag. This is also called a CPU bottleneck.

No its not your GPU being overpowered rather its your CPU. You cant always go by what the FPS counter tells you. FPS counters are good reference in diagnosing performance problems but they are tied to the GPU. Your GPU is operating just fine which is why you don't see an issue with it. Your CPU on the other hand is overloaded.

Now if you were to check performance manager in windows you might probably see that maybe that only 25%-50% full CPU usage. Most games are still not multithreaded which means they can only really uses 1-2 CPU cores at a time. This is all related to the Direct X version the games is coded on. Direct X 11 does not natively support multitheading. While the new Direct X 12 does but that only just was released and only a few select games support it.