Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Memory Leak (Alt-Tab)

-Axphyxia-

Hello

I had an issue with alt tab while playing, it's make a spike memory leak in any moment, specially when going to relay, and that memory leak, persist after going to relay>back liset (which fps take a while to back to my normal fps,> Then go any game and back again the problem of memory leak) so I need restart game for fix it. I noticed it that I got that problems after 17.5, cuz I always do alt-tab while the game is on loading screen, and never got that memory leak. so I noticed when I was farming for Gaia's Tragedy in Narcissus at Pluton, I did alt-tab in mid of game and game was with 690 in ram at game. so it spiked sunddenly to 2.5XX something and I wasn't able to play fine for some seconds ( happened that my fps was droped to 21-25) then it back normally but the memory didn't.

I show in this video w​hat's the Issue that I have with memory leak.
I reproduced with same results in my both PC's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQtrat2HjM

In video, the frozen image and while it frozen still sound playing, was when I did alt-tab

i would say that alt tabbing while loading a level will always give you a increase of memory usage - in nearly any game.

And i don't think you know what is a memory leak - your memory don't get a sudden spike - but a constant linear uncontrollable increase of memory usage

i would say that alt tabbing while loading a level will always give you a increase of memory usage - in nearly any game.

And i don't think you know what is a memory leak - your memory don't get a sudden spike - but a constant linear uncontrollable increase of memory usage

I had done always this since I play this game, never got this problem until 17.5.

and even I play more heavy games and my memory while loading I do alt-tab and same, no issues.

and the last thing, there was a topic of glen, I watched it twice, and seems same issue.

I have this same problem but unlike you I did not realize it was a memory leak.  I have an older machine which I believe I still have 4gb of RAM in and several times after I alt-tab, I cannot get the game to load back in.  Sometimes the screen stays black and I have to hard kill the game then log back in and sometimes the screen flashes from game to black screen to game, back and forth, until I hard kill the game.

This just started after U17.5 for me as well.  It's definitely a new problem.

After watching your video, I'm rather confident this isn't actually the case of a memory leak. If there was indeed a leak, the game would be in a state where RAM used would increase steadily while idle, but in the video, when you leave the Arsenal at 1:33 you RAM usage is remaining stable. Memory is also certainly being released when you transition from the Relay back to the Liset. The increased memory footprint when you alt-tab is definitely occurring for you, but that's not a leak.

Without knowing anything about your system, my first assumption would be that you're running the game in fullscreen mode. Since your normal routine involves alt-tabbing to other windows/applications, Borderless Fullscreen would be a more ideal display setting for you to use.

As you're able to recreate the issue easily, I'd appreciate it if you could open a ticket on our Support Site, and please attach your EE.log the next time this happens to you.

After watching your video, I'm rather confident this isn't actually the case of a memory leak. If there was indeed a leak, the game would be in a state where RAM used would increase steadily while idle, but in the video, when you leave the Arsenal at 1:33 you RAM usage is remaining stable. Memory is also certainly being released when you transition from the Relay back to the Liset. The increased memory footprint when you alt-tab is definitely occurring for you, but that's not a leak.

Without knowing anything about your system, my first assumption would be that you're running the game in fullscreen mode. Since your normal routine involves alt-tabbing to other windows/applications, Borderless Fullscreen would be a more ideal display setting for you to use.

As you're able to recreate the issue easily, I'd appreciate it if you could open a ticket on our Support Site, and please attach your EE.log the next time this happens to you.

So is running in fullscreen mode only a problem if you dont have enough RAM? Asking because I use 2 monitors, and have Warframe in fullscreen mode on one and other program windows on the other. Am I missing out on some performance by doing this as opposed to borderless fullscreen mode? thanks!

We have Borderless Fullscreen?

Switching to that IMMEDIATELY.

Thanks man.

So is running in fullscreen mode only a problem if you dont have enough RAM? Asking because I use 2 monitors, and have Warframe in fullscreen mode on one and other program windows on the other. Am I missing out on some performance by doing this as opposed to borderless fullscreen mode? thanks!

If you intend to multi-task, Borderless Fullscreen is the least intrusive mode since you can switch windows somewhat seamlessly. I personally find the performance gain in Fullscreen to be negligible, but when you're dealing in fractions of a second, such things can be subjective.

There's not an inherent problem with running Fullscreen though, OP's issue appears to be related alt-tabbing while in Fullscreen mode.

Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll now switch for Borderless Fullscreen when I'm doing multi-Tasking.

1 more question. So now it's normal that void and corpus mission consume now after patch 1 GB - 2 GB showing it in the little box at left bottom?

I noticed lately even without do alt-tab ( when I do it's skyrocket more) but yesterday I was spamming sabotage missions ( void, T2 and T4) and noticed before patch was always arround 600-700 as max, I guess now it's related to new tilset ¿right?, because I had been there playing with 1100-1500 without do Alt-tab.

Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll now switch for Borderless Fullscreen when I'm doing multi-Tasking.

1 more question. So now it's normal that void and corpus mission consume now after patch 1 GB - 2 GB showing it in the little box at left bottom?

I noticed lately even without do alt-tab ( when I do it's skyrocket more) but yesterday I was spamming sabotage missions ( void, T2 and T4) and noticed before patch was always arround 600-700 as max, I guess now it's related to new tilset ¿right?, because I had been there playing with 1100-1500 without do Alt-tab.

There's a slightly larger memory footprint in DirectX11, but even though Void Sabotage is technically 2 tilesets stitched together, I can't think any situation where they should be approaching 2gb.

You can try to verify/optimize your downlaod cache via the launcher, but if you're consistently seeing your missions requiring 2gb of RAM, I'm even more interested in seeing your EE.log (and a video if you have the time to do so).

Edited by Xander

There's a slightly larger memory footprint in DirectX11, but even though Void Sabotage is technically 2 tilesets stitched together, I can't think any situation where they should be approaching 2gb.

You can try to verify/optimize your downlaod cache via the launcher, but if you're consistently seeing your missions requiring 2gb of RAM, I'm even more interested in seeing your EE.log (and a video if you have the time to do so).

Thank you, in one of both PC, it was crashing when I did verify,  so I just copy files from the one fine to that PC, and now it was fine after verify is done...

I'll keep an eye when it happen, so I'll record and send the EE.log. Because, it was the PC where I was getting more troubles of getting often game using close to 2 GB.