Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Atlas Revamped

KingTaro

Alright, so I gave this frame a shot. Well, more than that.

I've tested different builds. Also builds focusing on each skill specifically.

So far, I didn't manage to come up with a play style that could compete with the other frames.

None of his skills seem to be helping team mates either. Well, if there is one thing, the Bulwark can close off a room, providing a safe environment.

The only fun skill for me was Landslide, which is ironically also the only brawler skill.

Personally, I'd prefer if DE could revamp all of his skills into something that represents a brawler.

But if I'd have to adjust the skills without replacing them completely, this would be my take:

1. Landslide

I'm ok if you can't cast this skill without a target. It was done so for a reason.

It's so you can spam it without loosing energy. Since it will only activate when there is a legit target.

What I would change is allow the damage to rank up infinitely, not just till 400%. And increase the counter timer to 3 sec. One sec is too short, since he always sends the enemies flying on third hit, making it difficult to keep the combo up when you can't tell where the enemy is going to be sent. Also offer some sort of damage mitigation during the slide.

2. Tectonics

The only use I found for this, is during Void MD missions. Where you can place it at the same spot as the defense pod and almost completely cover it. Or close off a room, stopping enemies from getting in and fire your explosive weapons.

But this skill would be so much more fun if we could place like 10 of these walls! Maybe even on top of each other!

Question: How would you push them rolling?

Answer: With Landslide. Aim Landslide at the wall and send it flying. And I don't mean gently let it roll. I mean, really send the wall flying at high speed!

Who doesn't like power synergy?

3. Petrify

Mechanics very similar to the Chroma's breath. But, didn't that skill kind of show us that most people do not like that kind of mechanics? Makes you wonder why this approach was chosen.

I'd prefer if it shot a beam in a cone that petrifies everything on its path.

Boom and stoned.

4IXaKcH.jpg

4. Rumblers

Well, I know I said that this is about adjusting the skills, but since the companion AI is pretty poor in general. I'd like if this got replaced with something else.

Personally, I'd go with Atlas becoming a giant stone golem himself, by covering his body in stone. Living up to the name Atlas, the titan.

When he's a giant, his 3 first skills get replaced:
Landslide: Atlas turns into a giant boulder and rolls.
Tectonics: Throw giant boulders.
Petrify: Roar in a cone that buffs his allies or debuffs enemies.

Also, when he walks around, he makes a small earthquake around him. That knocks down enemies too close to him and those a bit further get staggered.
He'd have a set of combo's as well off course. Stomping, smashing, maybe even clapping his hands like hulk to generate shock waves, etc...

How he could look like, when he's covered.

Doesn't have to be this big, but if he does become this huge, there could be environmental conditions.

Just like some skills have conditions that require you stay on the ground to cast, etc.

s6i9dkb.jpg

PS: Some of it may be a bit too much, I'm just throwing in wild idea's, cause I really think Atlas is lacking compared to the rest.

Edited by KingTaro

Or just DE's could make new Atlas mod for syndicate that turns all his skils into lava bending. Exactly same skills but with lava bonus damage. For example lava boulder that not only smashes everything on it's path but also leaves lava trail that melts everything that steps into it. Duration mods + damage mods and we got frame that good for defence missions

I do like all of these ideas. Especially the 4th because I am not a big fan of his current 4th.

I'm fine with petrify as it is, but heavy units don't turn to stone very quickly and just shoot your face off. So yours sounds a bit better.

Placing multiple rock walls would be very welcome. And using landslide to break it apart and send rocks flying at your enemies sound great. Kind of like Jetstream Sam does against Raiden in the boss fight.

The only problem would be fitting into tight spaces as a titan. Maybe just forego the giant part and give him rock armor and make him slightly bigger. But he should feel heavy and slow.

But what's done is done. After working on the current Atlas I don't think the animators and programmers want to dive back in. Unless someone makes a change.org petition or something huehuehuaehuaehaehuhea.

1. Landslide

2. Tectonics

3. Petrify

4. Rumblers

I want to say an absolute heck yes to what you suggest for 1 and 2. Just like...please DE do this now!

For 3, I have found this power isn't very fun for me..but once you get it ranked up, put a blind rage and a stretch on it is extremely effective.

Unlike Chroma's spectral scream which may or may not CC any given enemy with it's radius, Petrify will instantly slow all enemies in its cone.

In most cases to the point that they aren't able to do anything but stand there while you keep the cone on them until they turn to stone.

And depending on the mod set up they can be as stone figures for a very long time. This is serious CC.

If they switch this to a sort of flash effect I am concerned it might be too strong. They might have to pull back on how long it can stun enemies to not end up another overbearing CC that is kind of running rampant in the game.

For 4, turning into a stone giant is always cool in itself. The alternate powers are also awesome. And youre right that the companion Ai leaves much to be desired. Unfortunately I feel like that is taking away part of the essence of what DE was going for with Atlas.....and trying to turn him into something else that might be more in line with our own desires..just not theirs. Besides, calling two big guys to help beat folks down is cool in its own way IMO.

Considering we have a lot of companion's in Warframe, getting rid of the rumbler bots is only so useful anyway. 

I would prefer DE just focus some work on getting companions to a place where we enjoy their company.

Alright, so I gave this frame a shot. Well, more than that.

I've tested different builds. Also builds focusing on each skill specifically.

PS: Some of it may be a bit too much, I'm just throwing in wild idea's, cause I really think Atlas is lacking compared to the rest.

No revamped, please!

Actually, you have lots of good ideas.

Except for some ideas, I like Atlas as is. Since his release and I have complete forma-ed, it's hard for me to choose between him and Rhino. Arguably, Rhino may be at disadvange, with even iron skin and everything, when going against capable Atlas player. (I won't say more to spill my secret sauce ;P ). And I always love Rhino to death.

For 1 & 2, they are good; could be some additional augments. But they are very good as is.

Your idea on 3. Petrify is not bad. But currently it is not bad either. The mechanic allows players to more actively playing, instead of one boom and everything done like Excal's RJ. But I'm good with either.

For 4. Rumblers, well I'm hoping they could be bigger, better AI and stronger. But I'm not losing sleep over it.

Except for some ideas, I like Atlas as is. Since his release and I have complete forma-ed, it's hard for me to choose between him and Rhino. Arguably, Rhino may be at disadvange, with even iron skin and everything, when going against capable Atlas player. (I won't say more to spill my secret sauce ;P ). And I always love Rhino to death.

Rhino has been my favorite since Closed Beta.

Been my favorite even during the times he got nerved badly.

Anyway, are you referring to the Strength + Range build on Atlas as his secret?

If Atlas does have some unknown secrets, you may want to share them if you want to prove its worth. As of now, many are in favor of adjusting his powers.

+1

DE, Atlas DESPERATELY needs a buff, please fix your frame, you can't release a frame in this poor state.

I've been suggesting your 4 idea for a while and I support it 100%. It would be so awesome and actually original to have a frame alter his size to become a different creature kind of, Equinox doesn't count. 

Edited by StickyBaseline

The problem with your suggestion on the Atlas' 4th ability is Valkyr, Excalibur, new Mesa and upcoming Wukong are quite similar to that.

Nevermind the fancy effects and models - it's just giving unique non-switchable weapon. Which already gets quite old and existing ones are competing against each other, making them useless in the process.

I heard DE wanted to give rock fists to Atlas, like to aforementioned warframes - but the same thing is getting old and unoriginal.

Plus new roaster of abilities is essentially just another Equinox - which DE didn't want to make another complicated character and go with simplicity instead.

And everyone are forgetting Landslide has CC capabilities as well - perform combo on a tight crowd and everyone are sent flying, not just the target.

Instead of mediocre Tectonic spam, give it Snowglobes' mechanics - allow it to absorb damage into health for first 4 seconds. And scale the health more. Since it's covering just one side, but on the other hand block the enemies... 

Also why not make... Each enemy caught into the rolling ball are multiplying the explosion damage?

Rumblers sure have poor AI but everyone forgetting again they have minor CC ability - they rush to the enemy right away and by that effectively grab the attention to themselves, giving you and your squadmates a breather.

I think Nullifier Bubble Instakill is bullS#&$ and Rumblers should be taught to at least attempt to avoid it, or automatically explode when crossing it, potentially damaging everyone inside. 

As many said before - "Rumblers" is a good ability but bad "ultimate".

Since they're tied to duration - why not make them somewhat invincible? At least personal bulletsponges. 

Oh, and explode when dying/toggled off and deal damage how much they absorbed while being "alive".

Anyway, I am not saying Atlas does not need a buff, I'm saying come to it with different approach.

Great job with the Ultimate it sounds like an ULTIMATE.

If this does happen Im hoping the Ultimate is a Toggle Drain as well am I correct? Maybe Give Atlas in this mode a armor like Iron Skin +1

Indeed, the ultimate skill is silly and to be honest it does almost nothing beside make a big mess in the battlefield. Need to be reworked.

Right now i have more pleasure playing as valkry (as tanker, lot of armor) them with Atlas. The utility that her ultimate have compared to atlas is Overwhelming.

Please DE rework this because the character modeling of Atlas is Badass :P.

1. I like timer increasing idea to 3 seconds, but not infinite combo x4 is enough, as it has very good CC at last cast of combo, no need to create OP and make it candidate for nerf.

2. 4 walls would be cool, because you can build a small fortress to take few seconds break and then go into battle :)

3. cone idea is still bad, I suggest radial, 5-8m and another pose as this chroma's pose is still bad.

4. I actually like rumblers as they are decoys, still if they get 5 sec invulnerability as globe has would be cool and teleport to their target through ground would be awesome instead of running and missing enemies like they do now. Transformation is very interesting too, x10 armor maybe, rock throwing instead of primary, and and kickboxing moves instead of melee plus skill change as suggested next very fun frame might be created.

Atlas has no depth, Im always desperately looking/seeking for warframes who's first ability is not useless later on.

I was afraid from the start that the 1st would have a damage cap, seeing as it does, my fears were sound.

I also feared that the rumblers would be duration based and not their own units for a change (as suppose to SotD and Effigy), my fears again, were sound.

So yes,

1st ability should not have a damage cap.

2nd. seeing how the walls work I think a lot of walls would be an issue.

What I want for it is that we can stand on it, that we cannot just walk through it but have to roll through it and that as suppose to the other walls made by warframes, this blocks off EVERYTHING, no AOE or Firering attacks going through it, the balance being you are not able to see and/or shoot through it either.

3rd. yes a cyclope like beam would be pretty epic, I was hoping his helmet would be animated and open up to feature/show this 1 eye/light that would be used for a petrify beam.

I would make it so that the beam reaches pretty far (like beam weapons) and is thick but concentrated.

During the ability you cannot move, but get some rock armor on your body that will give you an armor boost when you use the ability.

IT will allow you to either slow down targeted enemies when hitting them for a little bit or completely turn them permanently to stone after a while.

These permanently turned to stone enemies will/can hinder enemy movement and fire.

This will be your own made Terra Cotta Army.

To balance it, if enemies are completely blocked off or hindered too much they will start destroying their petrified allies.

4th. I want to see a combo of what we have and what you suggested.

I want Atlas to summon the rumblers (which should really be called Golems) and get a bit of stone armor on himself.

This stone armor will give Atlas protection similar to Iron Skin or just an Armor boost.

It will also give him a melee damage boost.

The idea is that you can still use whatever weapon you want, you just want to shoot? sure what not, but if you join your Rumblers in the brawl you will get a bit of a boost for that.

I mean thats a brawl right? multiple individuals throwing down.

Also I would like the Rumblers to get stronger every kill they make, this would add more depth in Atlas perhaps refraining from making some kills, giving them to the Rumblers instead to make them stronger.

Remove duration and just give the Rumblers health to make this more interesting to do.

When this is going on, sacrificing the rumblers by letting them detonate will be a much harder choice.

Will you destroy your leveled up Rumblers just to kill that group of enemies in the explosion and then have to start over?

Will you destroy your leveled up Rumblers just because your Stone skin boost as run out and you would like it back?

Depth, choices aka good stuff.

And obviously the stronger the Rumblers are, the more their explosions do.

I would also like if the Rumblers had more abilities, perhaps linked to what level they had at that moment.

Rumblers should have the ability to turn into a stone ball and run over enemies.

Rumblers should be able to stand still and fire a bunch of rocks at enemies like a sentry.

Rumblers should be able to double team an enemy with some combos

Rumblers should be able to do some roar ability attracting that agro towards them.

Edited by ZoneDymo

Atlas has no depth, Im always desperately looking/seeking for warframes who's first ability is not useless later on.

I was afraid from the start that the 1st would have a damage cap, seeing as it does, my fears were sound.

I also feared that the rumblers would be duration based and not their own units for a change (as suppose to SotD and Effigy), my fears again, were sound.

So yes,

1st ability should not have a damage cap.

2nd. seeing how the walls work I think a lot of walls would be an issue.

What I want for it is that we can stand on it, that we cannot just walk through it but have to roll through it and that as suppose to the other walls made by warframes, this blocks off EVERYTHING, no AOE or Firering attacks going through it, the balance being you are not able to see and/or shoot through it either.

3rd. yes a cyclope like beam would be pretty epic, I was hoping his helmet would be animated and open up to feature/show this 1 eye/light that would be used for a petrify beam.

I would make it so that the beam reaches pretty far (like beam weapons) and is thick but concentrated.

During the ability you cannot move, but get some rock armor on your body that will give you an armor boost when you use the ability.

IT will allow you to either slow down targeted enemies when hitting them for a little bit or completely turn them permanently to stone after a while.

These permanently turned to stone enemies will/can hinder enemy movement and fire.

This will be your own made Terra Cotta Army.

To balance it, if enemies are completely blocked off or hindered too much they will start destroying their petrified allies.

4th. I want to see a combo of what we have and what you suggested.

I want Atlas to summon the rumblers (which should really be called Golems) and get a bit of stone armor on himself.

This stone armor will give Atlas protection similar to Iron Skin or just an Armor boost.

It will also give him a melee damage boost.

The idea is that you can still use whatever weapon you want, you just want to shoot? sure what not, but if you join your Rumblers in the brawl you will get a bit of a boost for that.

I mean thats a brawl right? multiple individuals throwing down.

Also I would like the Rumblers to get stronger every kill they make, this would add more depth in Atlas perhaps refraining from making some kills, giving them to the Rumblers instead to make them stronger.

Remove duration and just give the Rumblers health to make this more interesting to do.

When this is going on, sacrificing the rumblers by letting them detonate will be a much harder choice.

Will you destroy your leveled up Rumblers just to kill that group of enemies in the explosion and then have to start over?

Will you destroy your leveled up Rumblers just because your Stone skin boost as run out and you would like it back?

Depth, choices aka good stuff.

And obviously the stronger the Rumblers are, the more their explosions do.

I would also like if the Rumblers had more abilities, perhaps linked to what level they had at that moment.

Rumblers should have the ability to turn into a stone ball and run over enemies.

Rumblers should be able to stand still and fire a bunch of rocks at enemies like a sentry.

Rumblers should be able to double team an enemy with some combos

Rumblers should be able to do some roar ability attracting that agro towards them.

Everyone understands that even though Landslide does not scale indefinite, the combo counter does right? As in, its a instant combo counter starter, then proceed to scale your dmg with your melee weapon if the time limit permits. Thats the point of the skill, not just the base dmg it does from get go. Hence the point of not spamming it.

Also of note is the factors of him being slow, but having a Charge/Slash Dash mechanic means he can close those gaps. If your going to build for his first, then you dont need anything except a good melee weapon, then chain all the melee counters. And i believe their is a mod that adds to the enetgy and giving like 200% dmg on top of the main dmg done on melee strikes while channelling... Mahe something to look into?

Edited by fxtricky

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone understands that even though Landslide does not scale indefinite, the combo counter does right? As in, its a instant combo counter starter, then proceed to scale your dmg with your melee weapon if the time limit permits. Thats the point of the skill, not just the base dmg it does from get go. Hence the point of not spamming it.

Also of note is the factors of him being slow, but having a Charge/Slash Dash mechanic means he can close those gaps. If your going to build for his first, then you dont need anything except a good melee weapon, then chain all the melee counters. And i believe their is a mod that adds to the enetgy and giving like 200% dmg on top of the main dmg done on melee strikes while channelling... Mahe something to look into?

The landslide can definitely be a good gap closer to keep the combo counter up.

But I never liked the exponential decrease in damage scaling of the melee counter. I mean, 15 hits for x2 damage and then 135 hits for x3. Either way, Landslide damage is more reliable now that it uses melee mods. 

Also, I think spamming the skill was one of the intended playstyles.

Otherwise, DE wouldn't have made it to use less energy and do more damage when you spam it.

As for the 200% channeling damage mod, I believe you're referring to the Energy Channel.

Without any efficiency mods, each first Landslide will give you an additional 50 melee damage (scales with melee mods).

The question is, if it's worth a melee slot. Might be interesting to experiment with.

Most people use the mod just for the cool visual.

tectonics should be like OP suggested, srsly, one wall only? its not that big to have it capped at that..

and ult is ret@rded as it is right now, they get stuck on weird things and have target priority issues (i.e shooting a guy far away and neglecting the powerfist having fun with them) so I too would rather have them nuked and replaced with what u suggested or anything similar...

or simply make them fill in tank role, not damage, so they attract all damage to them, and they have absurd health and armor capacities, and balance it with reduced mobility, so they become a protection hotspot, not a mobile bullet attractor

GJ OP, I like your ideas