Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Energy Channel Mod Needs Updating

DiosGX

Added back in U8, the Energy Channel mod has been outdated in usefulness since the advent of Damage 2.0 in U11.

In short, the mod only adds a total of 200 damage to a single melee strike, and only after spending 100 energy. To wit, using capped Efficiency means you would have to cast a 4th ability 4 times for 25x4 to reach the full 100 energy spent requirement for the mod to function.

There's simply no reason to use this mod. At all. Its 7 point cost could simply be replaced by any Elemental/Status mod for the same cost, to greater effect.

This mod is in need of a rework. I'd suggest making the stored damage apply to base damage before mods and allow crit multipliers to influence it as well. Might wanna lower the damage bonus down from 200 for that, though. Or don't. I don't really care. I wouldn't mind doing a fifty billion damage headshot ground finisher crit.

I like the idea of it storing energy and releasing it, in fractions, over a series of hits. Let it store it's 200 damage, but have it add say only...50 with each strike, making your next 4 hits have 50 more damage added to the base, before mods.

Combine that with it being able to suck up excess energy, much like a sort of equilibrium, instead of needing you to activate a power to charge it and the mod should be viable as a potent component to melee weapons.

It could also be interesting to completely alter how it works. It's already kind of similar, but overshadowed by, Channeling - maybe casting an ability could give free Channeling up to a certain percentage of the ability's cost, even applying on quick melees? It'd have to be low percents, but it could be really nice.

It's the only reason the Redeemer is a good weapon.

Yes, really.  It's an odd balance.  Energy Channel gives you 10x the benefit you'd think while firing the shotgun, and channeling energy gives you 10x the energy drain you would expect while firing the shotgun.  In short, Energy Channel Redeemer, don't channel energy to Redeemer.

It's a pretty simple fix. Just uncap the amount of energy it can store. If Equinox is any indication DE no longer has any problems with a single attack gaining strength over a long duration, activating for insta-death to anything it connects with, and then resetting.