Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion For Melee 3.0

Nazrethim

Hello everyone!

The current melee system, while vastly superior to the previous melee 1.0, still needs development to be the fluid experience it should be. So I will present you ideas to improve the system (some ideas may be bad as %#@$!):

-Quickmelee is good as it is, leave it as a last resort for ranged players.

-General combos: All stances have the same combos (key combinations) but are very different depending on weapon and stance (different animation, speed, multipliers, procs). This allow for longer lists of combos and to streamline the learning process for new players while giving advanced melee players quality of life changes (like adding an multi-target and gap closer combos to all weapons)

-Allow players to carry two weapons with instantaeous holster rate. Posible limitations: A) Player forsake ranged weapons, you can carry two melee but you are commited to melee B)Fists, Sparring and Glaives being on a separate slot so you can carry one of the mentioned type of weapons and any other weapon in the other slot.

-Switch Channeling from a "hold to keep active" to a toggle function that drains energy per second instead of per hit (currently the per hit system benefits slow hard hitters over fast light weapons) or give faster low hitting weapons a lower channel cost.

-Add a second attack key when the player is in stance mode: A light and fast attack and a heavy slow attack. This two button system would be an effective replacement for the "Hold E" in the midle of all combos which usually breaks the flow of the combat as well as allowing stances to have more complex combos.

-Return the old stamina for Blocking (and only blocking) to make it useful again even if it's just for short periods of time.

For Conclave:

-Remove Martial Magnetism and his little brother Heartseeker, replace them with Range mods instead (nothing too strong, maybe 15% for "long weapons" and 25-30% for "short weapons"

Well, that's all I have to say for now. Thank you very much for reading. Bye bye

IMO we don't need Melee 3.0 as much as we need Melee 2.5 

No need to overhaul again just QoL changes all around. For example each stance should have a different stance (idle, duh) and generally an overlook to the combos and animation improvements. One of the biggest problems with melee for me is how stealth/general finishers are so stumpy and break the flow of combat, you teleport behind them to knife and then teleport back with no explanation.

They need to transition each animation to the next, it will already make things better as well as allowing you to break combos.

PS. You don't have to hold for channeling, you can change it in the keybindings option to toggled mode, took me a while to find this too, greatly improves your experience with current melee system.

PS. You don't have to hold for channeling, you can change it in the keybindings option to toggled mode, took me a while to find this too, greatly improves your experience with current melee system.

Really? Darn I have to check the options menu better.

+1

Melee needs badly a rework.

Combos atm are pretty much lackluster, for different factors:

• too much easy to perform by spamming E key;
  • too much hard in some cases since it isn't timed well and badly interactive. Example: it's not precise like a Tekken game, where the button pression corresponds to an istantaneous action. Warframe way is way more raw and imprecise.
  • the timing in the execution is messed up by attackspeed.
  • they don't reward the player in the right manner.
  • they aren't interacting nicely with melee combo counters.

Melee Combo Counter needs a rework. Its reset time is too fast, this makes it useful for "melee only" and doesn't weld properly with the "gunplay".
I'd also suggest that every set number of combos should reward the player spawning a Life Orb or an Energy Orb, or proccing an AOE like Syndacates' ones, thus going melee should have a value with high level enemies since fighting from close means you put your safety on the line.
What I'd like to see is something that isn't just made to make "melee only" viable, but something that would weld it with the "gunplay" or the usage of abilities.

Life Strike and Rage meta has to be nerfed or fixed.
Life Strike could be turned into a mod like "Killing a target while channeling makes it drop a Large Health Orb", or something similar. Just a note, this change mustn't be made alone, it needs to work together with other Quality Of Life changes to the survivability in melee.​

Heavy Attacks are coming with the upcoming patches.

I agree on the Holster Speed, Heavy Weapons should holster more slowly

Channeling Damage should definetly become an active feature, with different multipliers basing on the weapon (heavy/slow or light/fast)

Blocking System needs a total rework, it's clunky, slow responsive, I suspect it's going to get some enhancement with incoming heavy attacks.

I'd like to see some ping-pong action in the active blocking to deflect projectiles and melee attacks or some feature allowing you to stop projectiles by hitting them with the melee attack. This can also be easily made by adding the Reflection effect while melee attacking.

Example: in the old Soul Blade (Calibur) series, blocking promptly a melee attack incoming would overpower the opponent putting it in a vulnerable position.
In Warframe this action is made possible by holding the Parry, Channeling and WAITING for a melee attack to come in and eventually HOPE the stagger procs.​

Edited by Burnthesteak87