Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Fps Drops With Gtx 970

Storm-Surge

As I said before, Warframe has a problem with V-sync. This was already true before Update 18 but after U18 it got much worse for a lot of people. As a result, there is now an increasing number of threads reporting FPS problems or stuttering.

An easy way to "fix" stuttering caused by V-sync is to simply turn V-sync off. It is not a permanent solution but it will help as long as you can deal with screen-tearing. Also, sometimes it helps to run the game in fullscreen instead of windowed or borderless mode.

DE is currently looking into this.

The 970 is fine, I use one myself. The problem is that Warframe's engine does some pretty weird things. For example, if I run the game with V-sync off and no FPS limit, everything is smooth at high settings and 120+ FPS. However, if I turn V-sync on, the game locks itself to 60 FPS (which is fine), but I sometimes get this bizarre stuttering with no FPS drops whatsoever (which is not fine).

To make matters even more interesting, the stuttering I get happens while my CPU usage is under 50% and my GPU usage is under 30%. So the game doesn't seem to be incredibly well optimized, or at least not optimized to run with V-sync on. Still, keep in mind this problem is not the same you are getting. You mentioned earlier you're getting actual FPS drop. That's different from stuttering at constant 60 FPS.

I agree with your fps reading as i have a 970 too and that's what it averaged about back in summer now (today) i had my frame rate dropping pretty badly not surewhat the cause would be but i'll optimize the cache from the launcher and check again later

I agree with your fps reading as i have a 970 too and that's what it averaged about back in summer now (today) i had my frame rate dropping pretty badly not surewhat the cause would be but i'll optimize the cache from the launcher and check again later

My problem is slightly different as my framerate doesn't drop at all. In fact, my FPS will increase when the game starts to stutter. With V-sync enabled, I get around 63fps on light stuttering and then 70+ when the stuttering gets intense.

I had Steam verify cache integrity and re-downloaded 7.5GB+updates but that didn't fix the problem. However, it did make some other things a bit better.

[DE]Dmitri is asking pretty much everyone experiencing stuttering problems to send your EE.log to support.

Edited by Amazerath

Hello everyone!

I completely forgot about this thread and didn't look at it for a while.

My problem actually was never fixed.

I've tried some of the solutions this thread offered but to no avail I found no solution.

Is your GPU overclocked or a factory overclocked one?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, fellow GTX 970 user here. I Have an i5 4460 to go with it, and no before you comment, it does not bottleneck. I have been hitting sub 30 fps in void missions, specifically T3 and T4 Sabotage after exiting the portal. I have changed launcher settings and Video settings to no avail. Changed reverb and disabled voice also. I am completely stumped as before Update 18 i was getting minimum 90 fps even in the heaviest situations. Now it gets almost unplayable.

[...] I am completely stumped as before Update 18 i was getting minimum 90 fps even in the heaviest situations. Now it gets almost unplayable.

As far as I know, there is nothing we can do on our side to fix these severe frame rate problems. People have tried updating drivers, reinstalling the game, checking integrity, messing with driver settings... Most of the time it doesn't help.

You could contact support, explain your issue in detail and attach your "EE.log" file. That might help them narrow things down. Just keep in mind it will likely be 20 days before they even reply to your ticket.

I suspect the issue may be CPU side over the GPU. The thread is kinda biased as the title only invites GTX 970 users here with GTX 970's seemingly not performing.

I run a EVGA SSC 970

As far as i can tell, it is doing what it has always done in Warframe - And that is go largely underutilised. 

Image dump of Warframe dating back a few updates (970 "usage" visible as "GPU1")

20150305lvlbugiduty.png

20150305warframephysxk9un0.png

vlcsnap-00012fyrep.png

vlcsnap-00029feoqc.png

vlcsnap-00030nxo50.png

Note: In one instance above, PhysX was moved from my dedicated GPU, to my 970 due to driver updates

For comparison, after the latest update, long missions generally had pretty bad performance, but this wasn't due to the GPU. It was CPU side:

vlcsnap-00075forkq.png

As best as i can tell, this was fixed as per:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/591319-hotfix-1822/

So, what im trying to say is, people should be sure their 970 is actually the cause of the issue. The GPU doesn't function until the CPU gives it work to do.

On that note, I run a FX 8320 @ 4.2 GHz. I do go down to 30fps when things get very hectic. But this usually correlates with the number of AI walking about/spawning, and the number of team-mates' powers in effect. This is evidenced in defence missions where, with no enemies on the map, i can run close to 200fps. But as enemies spawn in i get close to 70-80 fps.