Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma's Vex Armor: Scorn Bonus Now Additive, Not Multiplicative.

BluelitHalo

As a preface, the following is from the patch notes for the recent Hotfix 17.10.4:

•  
  • Fixed Chroma’s Vex Armor Ability actually reducing player armor rating.

A fix was deployed for Vex Armor reducing your armor rating when the Scorn bonus was anywhere under 100%.  Now, when you take a hit to your Shields, the Scorn bonus starts from 100% instead of 0%, and increases from further shield damage as intended.

However, as a consequence, Vex Armor's Scorn is now adding 350% of your previous armor to Chroma's current armor, instead of multiplying the previous armor.  Without Power Strength mods, I now get a 450% armor bonus instead of 350%.

Here is a visual explanation of this: http://imgur.com/a/nobZZ

I reported this as a bug because I feel that this is unintended.  Vex Armor was always understood to give Chroma multiplicative bonuses to his armor (after other base armor buffs).  This leads me to my question for DE:

Is the Scorn bonus supposed to be an additive bonus (scaling from 100% to 450%) or multiplicative bonus (100% to 350%)?  If it is supposed to be multiplicative, then you guys might want to fix this soon.

---------------------------------

Additional Information:

The current additive bonus scales with Power Strength.  With maximum Power Strength, I am able to achieve 1094% (= (100% + (350% * 2.84))) bonus armor instead of 994% (= (350% * 2.84)) from before the recent hotfix.

Edited by AzureEmulation

The way Scorn worked prior to the update is similar to a hypothetical situation where Fury, instead of increasing total weapon damage by an additional 175% (which would imply a multiplicative factor of 2.75), only multiplies weapon damage by a factor of 1.75 and has values that range from 0% to 175% in the HUD (instead of 100% to 275% as it is currently).

Now Scorn works like Fury does, where Chroma's total armor is increased by an additional 350% (implying a multiplicative factor of 4.5) and has values that range from 100% to 450% in the HUD.

I'll need to test this in-game to make sure this is what's happening with Chroma's armor.

Edited by PsycloneM

well since it start from 100% instead of 0%

450% make sense as multi

That's the thing.  It seems like they quick-fixed the previous issue with Vex Armor's Scorn by simply applying a flat increase to the armor bonus, upon recieving shield damage.  In the making, they essentially changed Scorn from a multiplicative 350% bonus to an additive +350% bonus.  I am asking DE which type of bonus is intended, since it was always viewed, researched, and accepted that Scorn's bonus was multiplicative.

Edited by AzureEmulation

Just did a quick test in-game: level-30 charger, roughly 188 impact damage per hit, 700 armor on Chroma, and 130% power strength (max Scorn = +350% x 1.3 = +455%).

No Vex Armor - 42 health lost per hit

188 x 0.75 x ( 1 - 700 / ( 700 + 300 ) ) = ~42 health lost.

120% Scorn - 36 health lost per hit

188 x 0.75 x ( 1 - 700 x 1.2 / ( 700 x 1.2 + 300 ) ) = ~37 health lost.

555% Scorn (max) - 10 health lost per hit

188 x 0.75 x ( 1 - 700 x 5.55 / ( 700 x 5.55 + 300 ) ) = ~10 health lost.

Everything looks fine to me.

I assume the reason why Scorn had always been a pure multiplier is simply because Scorn was implemented incorrectly. If Fury were accidentally implemented in a similar way upon Chroma's release, then you'd have people commenting on how Fury can reduce Chroma's weapon damage when below 100%. It was never the intention to make Scorn reduce Chroma's armor. Now Scorn and Fury provide additional bonuses to total armor and total weapon damage respectively.

What you're implying with Scorn remaining a multiplier with a range between 100% and 350% would also require a reevaluation of the shield-to-Scorn conversion rate if the amount of shields needed to produce maximum Scorn values is to remain the same. By making Scorn an additional bonus for total armor similar to how Fury is an additional bonus for weapon damage, there is no need to change conversion rates.

Edited by PsycloneM

I assume the reason why Scorn had always been a pure multiplier is simply because Scorn was implemented incorrectly. If Fury were accidentally implemented in a similar way upon Chroma's release, then you'd have people commenting on how Fury can reduce Chroma's weapon damage when below 100%. It was never the intention to make Scorn reduce Chroma's armor. Now Scorn and Fury provide additional bonuses to total armor and total weapon damage respectively.

Sound reasoning.  If this is really the case, then DE should change the Abilities UI for Chroma to better represent the additive bonus, and how only that bonus scales with Power Strength.  For Vex Armor, the UI currently says "Armor Increase (%): 350", but it also says "Damage Multiplier: 2.75" when it should say something like "Damage Increase (%): 175".  That would be much more intuitive to read, especially after applying Power Strength mods to multiply that additive bonus.

Edited by AzureEmulation

Well then, I was mistaken with my assumption. Good call. Based on the 17.11.0 patch notes, Scorn's intended range was 100% to 350%. I'll test in-game tonight to make sure everything is working according to these changes.

EDIT:

Testing against a level-30 charger with the same build as before (130% power strength, 700 armor), Scorn has a maximum percentage of 3.5 x 1.3 = 455%.

No Vex Armor - 42 health lost per hit

188 x 0.75 x ( 1 - 700 / ( 700 + 300 ) ) = ~42 health lost.

126% Scorn - 36 health lost per hit

188 x 0.75 x ( 1 - 700 x 1.26 / ( 700 x 1.26 + 300 ) ) = ~36 health lost.

455% Scorn (max) - 12 health lost per hit

188 x 0.75 x ( 1 - 700 x 4.55 / ( 700 x 4.55 + 300 ) ) = ~12 health lost.

Everything looks fine. Scorn has a range between 100% to its maximum percentage. The shield-to-Scorn conversion percentages have been modified to ensure that 400 shields are required to maximize Scorn.

Edited by PsycloneM