Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Mods, A Few Thoughts

Sy21

About 3 or 4 months ago, I wrote a paper about multishot - but I never released it for comment.  I have been considering information which has been available to the public.  Here are a couple of thoughts from the paper, that was initially written with multishot as the driving factor:

• Multi-Shot becomes a number of different mods.  Existing mods could consume more ammo.

• Multishot could have “corrupted” variants, and not consume additional ammo:

• Multi Headed Projectile (new mod concept ~+60% total damage w/ no additional ammo use)

• R0: +100% chance multishot, -45% damage

• R1: +200% chance multishot, -52.5% damage

• R2: +300% chance multishot, -60%damage

• R3: +400% chance multishot, -67.5% damage

• Split Arrow (new mod concept - Bow)

• R0: +20% chance multishot, -2.5% rate of fire, -5% reload speed

• R5: +100% chance multishot, -7.5% rate of fire, -25% reload speed (~+60% total damage, favors non charged shots or Alpha Damage over sustained DPS)

• Excessive Payload (New mod concept - Shotgun)

• Increases multishot at the cost of falloff damage/increased spread.

• Generate a set of “fun” and QoL mods

• Duplex Trigger (New mod concept - Semi Auto)

• Fires second shot on release of trigger button, but not within RoF constraints (I believe this is how the duplex trigger works atm)

• Secondary version would be called “Double Tap”.

I like the idea for the bow, though I'd like it more were its extra shot(s) targeting a secondary/tertiary target rather than also hitting primary target.

As for your suggested stats, well, thank goodness they are suggestions only and would not be implemented exactly so.  They are too high.  Leave the actual stats to the dev team.  The ideas are pretty neat though.

Also, naming them, while fun to conceive, are also best left to DE.  There is already a double tap mod, for example. 

I like the idea for the bow, though I'd like it more were its extra shot(s) targeting a secondary/tertiary target rather than also hitting primary target.

As for your suggested stats, well, thank goodness they are suggestions only and would not be implemented exactly so.  They are too high.  Leave the actual stats to the dev team.  The ideas are pretty neat though.

Also, naming them, while fun to conceive, are also best left to DE.  There is already a double tap mod, for example. 

Obviously everything is open to change, and they are simply suggestions.  The numbers are really there to give a "feel" and the ability to generate conversation about - rather than suggesting something on mods which are going to be re balanced anyway.

I am unsure how you would have a "secondary target" for the bow mod, but I guess you could shoot an arrow to each side?  All current tech restrictions aside - maybe you could have your first down click be used on a target which would "lock" then release while over another target - which would fire at the release point, then snap you to be directly inline with the first target (if you "proc" the multishot) and do a fast animation that would shoot at its "current" location (wouldn't take into account movement etc)

The stats are fairly in line with today's mods.  They are both a lot less damaging than the current multishot - and ballpark on a +90% damage mod.

I am going to go and cry now, after seeing that "Double Tap" is taken as a mod name (Latron PVP) - where it obviously should be a "duplex trigger pistol" mod   :)

Glad you like the concept - that is basically what I would like to see picked up.

The paper noted some things about the stats - I guess Ill paste that stuff here as well, as I think it is quite relevant, and it was only the conclusions and some of the thinking which was a "little sour" (and part of this has been removed - also talks about 3 classes of mods which could be argued, but the concept behind it is still relevant):

Weapon Stats (Analysis)

Weapons, themselves have a number of statistics that couple be affected by mods.  The following are noted for Primary weapons:

Accuracy

Crit Chance

Crit Multiplier

Fire Rate

Magazine

Noise

Reload Speed

Status Chance

Damage

Damage Type

Soft Stats

We can also note that a number of Ammo stats such as Ammo Pool, Ammo Type and Ammo Pickup may also be relevant, but are not shown directly on the weapon.  

In addition, there is a Trigger Type, ie: Auto, Semi Auto, Duplex Trigger, Single Shot (Bow), Charge Shot, Continuous Fire.  

We can also add Projectile stats: Projectile Spread (Shotgun), Damage Falloff (Shotgun), Projectile Speed and Gravity Effect (Bows).

There are also a new group of “20% base damage converted to” style mods, and we can call these damage type adjustment mods.

Recoil - I think this is an under utilised soft stat, and that we should see more of it.

Current Build Paradigm

Currently, nearly all builds revolve around the same concept:

1. Add Base damage (Serration, Heavy Cal)

2. Add Damage Bonus (90% Elemental Mods)

3. Add as many damage multipliers as possible (Multi shot, Crit/status if viable)

This gives a 3 layer multiplier, which snowballs with Maxed weapons/Mods.

Pros

• Maxed out weapons become incrementally better <censored>

• Standard mods can be maxed out, then transferred between weapons - Limited “core” mods.

Cons

• Stunts build diversity

• Removes Flavor from builds, and possibly generates criticism towards that don't use the “META” (“Ure bad ‘cuz you dont r10 Serati0n”)

• Generates 3 sets of mods - Always used (Point Blank), Sometimes used (Ravage), and never even considered (Flechette).

While there may always be more popular mods, and less used mods, every mod should have something going for it besides “I am new, and have nothing else to put in”.