Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bounce Buff Suggestion

Darthmufin

Everyone knows that with the addition of "Parkour 2.0" Vauban's Bounce ability sees very little use. It was pretty lackluster even before, it requires 50 energy and does little damage, and has limited uses. Here is a suggestion that i think most people will agree with, if they think bounce should stay to begin with. 

Vauban Places a launch pad that launches enemies into the air, damaging them and stunning them

No longer has limited uses, but is limited to 3 bounce pads on at once, at any given time, and has a 30 second base duration, effected by mods. 

Deals 300 impact damage and inflicts a guaranteed magnetic proc when enemies are launched by the pad. Once the pad is used, it requires 3.5 seconds before the pad recharges and can be used again, effected inversely by power duration. (higher power duration lowers the recharge time of the bounce)

The bounce pad will have a base range of 2 meters, effected by power range.

Just like Snow Globe, if there are three bounce pads on a map at any given time, placing another will remove the first bounce pad (if the duration is still up, which will show on the power as the duration of the first bounce placed). 

Energy cost is reduced from the ridiculous 50, to 20 energy. 

To Review: Maximum duration will decrease the time it takes bounces to recharge, allows them to last longer, but reduce the range slightly. Maximum range will increase the range of the pads slightly, while reducing their damage. A maximum efficiency build will decrease energy cost but increase the time it takes for the bounce pads to recharge and also reduce the time they can be active. 

-----

I think that is a fair buff to the ability, if DE doesn't outright just replace it which i actually don't think is a good idea. What do you think? Suggestions?

Edited by Darthmufin

having it duration based is really the only thing that would benefit it, as it was meant to be a utility, not an offensive ability.  Also, I think you mean longer duration increases the recharge rate.  Would make a little more sense.

I disagree on that it is supposed to be a utility ability as the ability causes much more shenanigans than utility, now to be honest some people really love some shenanigans, but I could care less personally, because as long as they keep the shenanigans out of serious endeavors, its no problem for me to let someone else play how they want.

having it duration based is really the only thing that would benefit it, as it was meant to be a utility, not an offensive ability.  Also, I think you mean longer duration increases the recharge rate.  Would make a little more sense.

no decreases, as in shortens the charge rate. 

I disagree on that it is supposed to be a utility ability as the ability causes much more shenanigans than utility, now to be honest some people really love some shenanigans, but I could care less personally, because as long as they keep the shenanigans out of serious endeavors, its no problem for me to let someone else play how they want.

with my changes the ability would be able to actually deal damage up to a certain level so it wouldn't be pure utility although that is the point of bounce to begin with. With the augment, it will proc radiation so a heavy unit will be taken out of the battle for a time. 

-snip-

with my changes the ability would be able to actually deal damage up to a certain level so it wouldn't be pure utility although that is the point of bounce to begin with. With the augment, it will proc radiation so a heavy unit will be taken out of the battle for a time. 

I think you misunderstood my point, Bounce like Loki's switch teleport, Nova's wormhole, limbo etc. are interesting because other players can interact with it creating emergent scenarios, removing this emergent play from bounce will not fix bounce as Vauban's kit already has overlap.

I'll be honest with you, i still wouldn't use bounce at all even with this change.The only reason i would use it before parkour 2.0 was to jump a bit higher at certain specific places, never used it against enemies because it doesn't really help. This change doesn't make it more useful or anything. I personally think it should be changed to something else entirely.

An idea on the top of my head to make it useful would be to have them act like portals (from the portal game), but with jumping instead of teleporting. What i mean is, you can only place 2 jump pads max at any given time. Anyone, allies or enemies (maybe not friendly kubrows though) who walks over one of the two jump pads is flung in an arch to the other jump pad. Landing on a jump pad from the other would make the unit who used it temporarily unnafected by jump pads for a few seconds, even from other players jump pads. This would make it useful both to remobilize enemies (put a jump pad in front of a door and the other on a poodle hydroid) and to move between 2 places quickly (interception points etc) and wouldn't make it too OP or too anoying. Also, make them visually stand out more, you can barely see them now with some energy colors.

As it stands now, it only midly slow down a single enemy and makes it harder to aim at it for the duration of the effect.

I'll be honest with you, i still wouldn't use bounce at all even with this change.The only reason i would use it before parkour 2.0 was to jump a bit higher at certain specific places, never used it against enemies because it doesn't really help. This change doesn't make it more useful or anything. I personally think it should be changed to something else entirely.

An idea on the top of my head to make it useful would be to have them act like portals (from the portal game), but with jumping instead of teleporting. What i mean is, you can only place 2 jump pads max at any given time. Anyone, allies or enemies (maybe not friendly kubrows though) who walks over one of the two jump pads is flung in an arch to the other jump pad. Landing on a jump pad from the other would make the unit who used it temporarily unnafected by jump pads for a few seconds, even from other players jump pads. This would make it useful both to remobilize enemies (put a jump pad in front of a door and the other on a poodle hydroid) and to move between 2 places quickly (interception points etc) and wouldn't make it too OP or too anoying. Also, make them visually stand out more, you can barely see them now with some energy colors.

As it stands now, it only midly slow down a single enemy and makes it harder to aim at it for the duration of the effect.

but it could do 1k damage and proc radiation on the enemy with high power strength and the augment suggestion. replacing bounce with something else doesn't seem right, unless you want to replace bounce with placeable turrets, like a REAL engineer, then yes please. 

• 4 weeks later...

I still wouldn't use Bounce. Magnetic proc is only useful against Corpus, which still makes this version of Bounce a very situational ability.

Replacing it with an ability that isn't so constricted to 1 faction would be best. When I say this, I obviously don't mean I want drones or turrets, as that would ruin Vauban's 'trapper' theme.

Just make power strength add more velocity to being bounced.  I think types of ragdoll fall damage is still a thing in some cases.

If the bounce pad benefits from power range it would be great also having a wider pad over interception points.

I would love for bounce to NOT effect people rolling or sliding through.  I've seen some people troll some exit doors with them.