Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alt Tab Kills Game

AdunSaveMe

As of a recent update (not sure which one, I took a break since the orchid skin) switching tab on loading screens kills the game. The process continues, but it disappears from the task manager applications list, and I can't go back into the game.

I used to switch tabs to avoid the issues I'd get on loading screens, as my own little workaround, but now I can't do that. I have no idea why. There are no error windows or anything.

edit: just discovered it happens if I switch tabs ON the loading screen. If I switch before the game fades to blade and starts loading, it seems to be just fine, aside from the fact that it's extremely inconvenient. 

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Alt-tabbing during loading screens has always killed my game most of the time; but not like this, it just crashed normally.

I had the same problem you had yesterday; Skype, the intrusive software that it is, forced Warframe to minimize, and after that I couldn't go back in the game, and the process was gone from the task manager, just like you described.

Have your nividia drivers crashed? If you have a nivida card that is.

I have an amd card, and it's not a driver crash.

Everything works fine when I switch tabs except the game itself. There are no crashes or other issues of any sort. The game just decides to stop working, disappears from the task manager (except for the process) and taunts me mercilessly from the taskbar.

Alt-tabbing during loading screens has always killed my game most of the time; but not like this, it just crashed normally.

I had the same problem you had yesterday; Skype, the intrusive software that it is, forced Warframe to minimize, and after that I couldn't go back in the game, and the process was gone from the task manager, just like you described.

Was the game still actually running for you instead of just closing entirely? If so, it seems we have the same issue.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Was the game still actually running for you instead of just closing entirely? If so, it seems we have the same issue.

Yeah, the game was still running, it didn't close. I was in the middle of an Apollodorus run, and then Skype just pulls me out of the game like the little *@##$ it is.

If you're running in regular fullscreen mode (and can run it in your native resolution), try borderless fullscreen mode instead. Alt+tabbing is way more seamless like that. I switched to it because alt+tabbing from any screen always caused problems for me, but yeah, especially the loading screen.

If you're already in borderless fullscreen, then I just don't know.

If you're running in regular fullscreen mode (and can run it in your native resolution), try borderless fullscreen mode instead. Alt+tabbing is way more seamless like that. I switched to it because alt+tabbing from any screen always caused problems for me, but yeah, especially the loading screen.

If you're already in borderless fullscreen, then I just don't know.

I'll keep borderless as a last resort, because it quite literally halves my framerate.

I'll keep borderless as a last resort, because it quite literally halves my framerate.

The impact of Borderless Fullscreen shouldn't be that massive; could you try disabling Desktop Composition and see if that shows an improvement in Borderless? Right click the icon for your Warframe launcher, select Properties, and under the Compatibility Tab, make sure that 'Disable Desktop Composition' is checked. Edited by [DE]Xander

You could try turning off 64-bit and multi-threaded rendering in your settings, it did the trick for me (thanks, support).

Doesn't work.

The impact of Borderless Fullscreen shouldn't be that massive; could you try disabling Desktop Composition and see if that shows an improvement in Borderless? Right click the icon for your Warframe launcher, select Properties, and under the Compatibility Tab, make sure that 'Disable Desktop Composition' is checked.

I'll see how it works, but playing borderless won't work anyway, because unless I play fullscreen I can't stop the issue I have on loading screens.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Borderless Fullscreen without desktop comp still has the game mess up if you alt+tab.... Idk what the semi-recent update did but it broke it bad.
I can never click back into the game or switch to task in task manager, so that makes me having to force close the game and restarting it in order to get back in.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

The next hotfix update will include a potential fix for this alt-tab problem. The update has not been released yet, however once it goes live please try to alt-tab again and let us know if you are still having problems.

It would also be helpful to know any additional information about your PC's setup that may have an influence on your display, such as your GPU, monitor(s), DirectX version, resolution, etc.

Thanks.