Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nvidia Driver Crashes Gtx 980S Pre/post Patch 18.0

MokeyLOG

Before the Second Dream launch I would play a few games of Warframe and my graphics Driver would crash utilizing less than 50% of my GPU, Using 2 GTX 980s I assumed it was because of SLI, I removed SLI and still have the same issue. The game would crash, minimize to desktop then I would still be in the game and could hear and still use abilities. However I could not bring the game back up to see my gameplay (limbo in desktop).

Now since Second Dream launch it's has gotten worse. The game locks up in a gold-brown screen and freezes my computer, then I have to restart. 

I have no other issues with ANY other game other than Warframe.

To verify it isn't on my end I took the following steps to ensure it isn't my end.
Using SLI.
Disabling SLI.
Swapping Primary cards.
Optimizing the game through Nvidia Geforce Experience.
Playing the game on minimal graphics settings.
Uninstalling Drivers manually and reinstalling drivers.
Using DDU to uninstall Drivers and then reinstalling drivers from Nvidia.
Runnning 1 Monitor.
Running the game on a different Monitor.
Disabling all non-necessary background programs

Removing a Graphics Card completely from my tower and running 1 card.

All of the steps above have been taken, Pre and Post patch 18.  This happens almost every 20 minutes to 40 minutes of gameplay, post patch 18. Pre Patch 18 it would happen about 3-4 hours of gameplay.

Research on the internet says it's a Chrome/Nvidia Driver issue. This is not the case. The game is almost unplayable now due to this. 

Below are my system specs. My computer is more than suitable enough to play this. Please fix this. I will also be posting this on the Nvidia website.

System Specs

Case: Corsair 900 (D) Super Tower
Mother Board: MSI X99S SLI PLUS LGA 2011-v3
CPU: Intel I-7 Haswell 5930k overclocked @4.00 Ghz
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance 
GPU(s): 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 Superclocked @ SLI
Capture: Avermedia Live Gamer HD  
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (8 x 4GB) DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800mhz
SSD:4x256GB SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series @ RAID 0
Power Supply: EVGA 1200W SLI Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 
Keyboard: Logitech G510s  
Keypad: Logitech G13  
Mouse: Logitech G700s  
Headset: Logitech G930  
Microphone: Blue Yeti /w Auphonix Pop Shield

Nvidia Post: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/901390/geforce-drivers/warframe-nvidia-driver-crashes-2x-gtx980s/

Edited by MokeyLOG

OK, so after a little more research I've looked at a few other things.

stereoscopic 3d settings for Nvidia:

Turn off your character shadows through the in game settings.

Also, ensure that you graphics card is running for max performance.

Nvidia Control Panel

3D Settings

Manage 3D Settings

Power Management Mode "Prefer Maximum Performance"

Also, WIndows power could cripple your performance...  

Win 10:

Settings 

System

Power & Sleep

Additional Power Settings

Additional Plans

Select "High Performance".

Also ensure you have the latest drivers installed for your Graphics Card. I'm currently testing this hoping it works. :) I will keep this post updated.

Seriously! FIX THIS!! THIS IS STUPID! I can't even do a 20 minute survival without my graphics card crashing at 30% usage! It is not my card. It is not my PC. Please read your ****ing feedback and fix an ongoing problem that has persisted since ****ing beta!

19:57 second survival, crash, lost key, lost rewards, got nothing but 19:57 of my time wasted... sigh...

Edited by MokeyLOG

I know the feeling . . . got myself a warning point because we are dealing with the delicate sensibilities of the Yanks . . .quick to throw around warnings for bad manners yet display total bad manners in not keeping us updated with a problem thousands are suffering from . . . typical double standards.

At the moment a whole mass of us are locked out of the daily sorties which means this new lense and focus system is a joke.

What really pisses me off is the way many here seem to think we haven't a case for complaint. I've been involved in many betas - with ones like Pcars lasting for over 3 years - so know only too well when something has been either rushed out without sufficient testing or that the crew are too incompetent to get it right.

Complain and get your wrist slapped, it's like a bloody kindergarten.

Edited by CaptainEras

I wish to god I hadn't recently given them £65 for plats because this mess is not going to be all fixed anytime soon so for me it means taking it off my computer and taking a hike for at least a month . . . hopefully, by the New Year it will again be playable . . . if I didn't have 6,500 plats I'd probably never come back, after 2 years it's time to move on.

Edited by CaptainEras

I have the same problem since I switched to Nvidia, which is one year now. Sometimes it would just crash the drivers, sometimes freeze up whole pc with only option to reset. Since I changed physx to CPU from GPU, I don't get any driver crashes, instead just a plain pc crash. Today I had two and I would say it's quite annoying to say the least. I hope it will get fixed at some point. Having this kind of issue ONLY in Warframe.

Well i never, really never had any graphic problems with either Warframe or my Nvidia Card

BUT Since  U18 i'm having serious, really serious frame related problems

Already tried everything since the update....

Disabled everything graphic related inside the game

Already disabled and changed in every way possible the graphic options from the driver control panel for both warframe and global driver settings

Enabled everything back again 1 by 1 trying to locate the problem

Reinstalled at least 3 times all graphic drivers for the newest version, which was the same i already had installed.

The sad part?  the frame drop/ freezing problem only happens playing Warframe and with warframe, It doesn't lag or freezes the whole screen, the whole pc, only the game suffers that, besides that everything else that i run is fine, perfect as always. 

Operating System - Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU - Intel Core i7 4900MQ @ 2.80GHz  Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM - 8,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (9-9-9-27)
Motherboard - Notebook W65_67SJ (SOCKET 0)
Graphics - Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer)
ForceWare version: 359.06
SLI Disabled
Storage -  931GB Seagate ST1000LM014-1EJ164 (SATA)
Optical Drives
VAX PEBOHQJ4T2 SCSI CdRom Device
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208FB
Audio - VIA HD Audio(Win8.1)
Edited by g43riel

This is the same for me, only a problem with Warframe.

I had taken advantage of Microsoft's offer to get W10 for free, and slapped the 'Classic Shell' on so I get the best of both worlds, W7 and W10. On No.2 computer it was W8.1 to W10, and, boy, was I glad to get rid of W8.1.

I found that the latest driver [Dec 1st] for W10 made everything worse so went back to the previous driver. I can play the game in solo so maybe you should try that and see what results you get . .freezing wise ?

I'm somewhat confused. So many people, all with different rigs, and DE get it so wrong with compatibility across all eventualities . . .there must be a hell of a lot of required code missing.

I've given up on anything but a bit of leveling up solo on Mercury . . . but must say, Metal Gear Solid V is a good enough game to keep me distracted, lol . .

This is the same for me, only a problem with Warframe.

I had taken advantage of Microsoft's offer to get W10 for free, and slapped the 'Classic Shell' on so I get the best of both worlds, W7 and W10. On No.2 computer it was W8.1 to W10, and, boy, was I glad to get rid of W8.1.

I found that the latest driver [Dec 1st] for W10 made everything worse so went back to the previous driver. I can play the game in solo so maybe you should try that and see what results you get . .freezing wise ?

I'm somewhat confused. So many people, all with different rigs, and DE get it so wrong with compatibility across all eventualities . . .there must be a hell of a lot of required code missing.

I've given up on anything but a bit of leveling up solo on Mercury . . . but must say, Metal Gear Solid V is a good enough game to keep me distracted, lol . .

Yeah weirdly enough i can also play solo without any problems but only if i open the game and go straight solo, going team and then solo keeps the problem, means no RAIDs or some Orokin Moon Tests for me until a fix or solution

Edited by g43riel

Nvidia user here, been having exactly the same problem for a very, very long time now. Tried every possible 'fix' out there, DX10, DX11, Fullscreen, Windowed, Vsync On, Vsync Off, Capped FPS, underclocking, overclocking, turning off 64 bit, turning on 64 bit, old drivers, newest drivers etc etc and all combinations thereof.

Something is seriously wrong with the evolution engine. This amount of GPU crashes is utterly unacceptable, particularly when practically everyone reporting the same problem says the same thing, 'It only happens in Warframe, nothing else.' It's not limited to U18 either, I've been having this problem as far back as I can remember, it does seem to be getting progressively worse though.

DE, your engine is the root problem here. I can't even play anymore since whenever I even attempt to start a mission now the GPU crashes out practically immediately. (Not to mention the endless 'Failed to join session' stuff when trying to play with other people.) And then I sit there for five minutes while the PC restarts, try again, and lo and behold, it crashes again.

I won't be spending another penny on Warframe until this is fixed, because frankly, in this state it doesn't deserve to have money spent on it.

This topic has come up time, time and time again, and nothing has ever been done about it. Either DE themselves have no idea what the problem is and are just hoping it goes away, or they know exactly what the problem is and they see it as too much work to fix for those of us suffering these crashes. At this point I'm not sure which is the worse option (or which is more likely.)

Edited by Firand

"It seems like the frames decay the longer the mission progresses. This is pretty weird."

This is an interesting piece from the last link G43riel put up because it's exactly what happens when I try to go 'public' . . .starts with 'jumpy' frames which progressively get worse until a complete freeze . . .

There might be something wrong with the evolution engine but, specifically, don't you think it could be net code issues ?

Edited by CaptainEras

Personally I think there are two separate issues going on, the dropped frames circa U18, which yes, could be net code issues, though with the amount of it being reported it seems unlikely, and the much longer standing problem with GPU driver crashes which from what I've read and seen has gone on since beta with no resolution.

Some in this thread are talking about one, some the other, some possibly both. Personally I'm hoping the issues turn out to be related, since we might actually see some attempt at an official fix.

What particularly annoys me is I have absolutely no interest in the change of direction of the game. Sure, the 5 missions [which I completed in solo] were different and well made . . . but personally I find all the new stuff and routines a heap of rubbish, made even worse by only being able to play in solo.

The game is now completely ridiculous with the way they have slapped on crazy levels for the villains, just take a look at the sorties.

If DE would give me back my money for 6,500 plats I'll gladly end playing the game . . . although at the end of the day I'll take the hit and they can take the game.

Edited by CaptainEras

Update. So after a little more research it seems it is a TDR issue. I have set my TDRDelay value to 8, which is what it is reporting in my event viewer.

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!
THIS IS ONLY TO BE DONE BY PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! I will not take blame for you screwing up your reg.

Open regedit then -

Navigate to -
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Graphics Drivers.
Right click on the open field and click on New / DWORD (32bit) Value,
Then name it:  TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set the value to 8.

• 2 weeks later...

I crashed for the 1st time jznow in T3D , I'm running dual monitor, 2560x1080 (warframe on this) and 1920x1080 , Using reference GTX980.

The crash happened after I apply OC +200 mhz to core. (though I highly doubt it's the cause)

After checking in the afterburner, it appears that warframe was utilizing about 3.2GB vram(all the while) & (at crash moment) ( after minus all other usage) . And at some point, utilized the full 4070mb vram (though not at the point of crash).

Edited by tennoninjahunter

• 3 weeks later...