Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0 Please

Ryden

Even with all these stances, melee weapons and mods, melee is still just a gimmick. Have your fun with it at low levels, and never take it out in high level missions. Why? It just sucks. The fact that you cant solo a mission you'd otherwise have no trouble doing with guns is reason enough to want more from melee.

Unless you're loki or ash with invisi builds, survivability with melee only is laughable. Damage is also subpar when you take into account the functionality and dps of long ranged weapons. Modding ur melee weapon for survivability makes its damage potential even less viable,making it completely useless to ever actually decide to pull out ur sword (Dirty mind hehe).

Imo, melee should be the highest damaging weapon type in the game, due to the level of danger were in when using it. There should also be more maneuverability animations and skills exclusive to melee use. It needs a serious looking-into for melee to be more than just an all flare and 0 practicality tool.

?????????

Sry man but Im not evn shure if your serious.

In high level missions im actually glad if I find the time to use my guns, cause melee scales with your enemys (combo counter, berserker)

If you have the right loadout its fairly easy to solo any "normal" mission (lvl <30) melee only and even after that the damage of your guns will become unnoticeable before that of your melee weapon, because, like I said berserker and the combo counter will increase your power immensely.

Also lifestrike allows you to regain health while chanaling which is the main reason Im mostly stuck using melee in high-lvl missions:

Because I need to recover my health faster than the enemy is depleting it.

Agree.

1) Melee Combo Counter needs work, it resets too much quickly and its damage scaling isn't still enough.

2) Parry is really bad and we need some active defense to reflect projectiles while attacking or performing combos.

3) There is no sustain or energy gain. Thus we are forced to depend on Rage and Life Strike.

4) We need decent rewards for executing complete melee combos. Not just damage (which anyway is not enough and should be managed through Melee Combo Counter).
Example: on Combo completed there procs an effect similar to Syndacate powers, eventually replenishing energy or health, so to fix also the point #3.

5) Most combos are clunky and unresponsive. Over those with E spam, Fury and Berserk shouldn't impact other combos the way they are doing.

updating soon.

EDIT: Details on my opinion here:
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/589299-melee-30-simple-renewal-concept-feedbackbrainstorm/?p=6670162

Edited by Burnthesteak87

never been a fan of combo's, They're to static. For good melee combat, look at dark souls or bloodborne. You trade blows and your movements reflect your enemies.

rather than ram into each other mashing e or trying to do a combo, you can dodge and roll, block and parry blows. The melee feels engaging and intense.

Now, this wouldn't work in a game like warframe, but some elements could be taken from it.

and sure, the moves would be less flashy, but I have to ask you, is performing a rain dance on your computer fun?

just my opinion, also, melee should be buffed.

C'mon dude. Coptering wasn't the only thing useful about melee. It's just not for you, which is fair, since everyone has their style, but don't say it's not effective. A buff is always appreciated, but not sure if it's necessary. Here's a post I made about how melee is viable endgame through sustained dps and finisher attacks. Keep in mind that some of my claims are out dated with update 18. For example, I claimed the Jat Kittag to be the king of dps for melee since it actually out dps the Scindo prime with the right build, but with the War sword out now, my Jat Kittag has been usurped. Read my post though.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/566702-heavy-melee-is-extremely-viable-early-and-late-game/

Honestly, just making every melee auto-parry like Exalted Blade alone would make melee viable in end-game content as long as you aren't bringing a glass cannon frame, the damage on most melees is already great and its functionality isn't the worst thing ever so I doubt it needs another full rework.

Get the Naramon Tree, it makes melee play insanely easy.

In general, channeling and combos do need more of a buff. Maybe double all existing melee combo damage? Maybe make augment mods for increasing combo damage? Make certain combos have different channeling damage? 

The melee combo counter also resets too fast, it needs maybe a small extension.

I can solo any mission just fine with melee, T4, sorties, Draco. It's all fine. Just sentients are a pain, they can be killed, just a pain.

That's the only issue I've had in melee throughout the entirety of this game, pre 2.0 it was still viable because of how dumb galatine with charge build was (RIP godsword). You need to build warframe and melee for a viable melee build and it's as easy as, health mods, rage, and lifestrike and then whatever you want. If you can't do sortie defenses with melee only with that build upgrade your mods.

Edited by SoIaris

• 2 weeks later...

I can solo any mission just fine with melee, T4, sorties, Draco. It's all fine. Just sentients are a pain, they can be killed, just a pain.

That's the only issue I've had in melee throughout the entirety of this game, pre 2.0 it was still viable because of how dumb galatine with charge build was (RIP godsword). You need to build warframe and melee for a viable melee build and it's as easy as, health mods, rage, and lifestrike and then whatever you want. If you can't do sortie defenses with melee only with that build upgrade your mods.

That doesn't imply the system isn't flawed and doesn't needs some rework.

With proper builds (rage, lifestrike, QT and Flow) and certain buffs i find melee to be much more better than guns. I used banshee (with orthos prime) vs lv100 infested during one of previous sorties and wrecked mobs with ease.

Naramon Focus gives it stealth advantage if you have a melee oriented playstyle.

That doesn't imply the system isn't flawed and doesn't needs some rework.

Some guns work better with some warframes config or builds, it goes both ways. But, considering how i use Orthos Prime 99% of my games because i find other weapons lacking in moveset or range or damage or ground smash property or stats yea i have to agree that melee weapons need some rework, or the system which all melee weapon are based off.

Well, you have to go back to asking basic questions. Like... Is melee;

- Fun?
- Viable?
- Competitive?
- Working as intended?
- Is it a good alternative or competitor to other weapons or using abilities all the time?

Melee doesn't work as intended IMHO, not when we can't aim up directly at flying or hovering opponents or when stairs become an obstacle, or when we get locked into animations clearly designed this way for aesthetic reasons more than anything else. And I feel channeling, blocks and counters and even combos should be so much more.

Melee is definitely not viable either. Please read further before jumping to conclusions- You see, how it can be made viable is not based on melee on its own but on working around its disadvantages, bringing it to a bearable albeit thin line between killing and surviving. So it can be made viable through sacrifice. This is NOT how I would imagine melee should work in any game that decided to include it as one of its basic mechanics. WF is a game about SPACE NINJA is it not...? And there's a lot of content that is melee oriented even if it's a bit redundant, so melee isn't here because of some random vote on whether they should include it or not. DE intended for melee to clearly play a major role in WF. So again based on this, I have to say it is in fact NOT viable in the proper meaning of the word. It's like starting from -10 and bringing it to 2. While other systems? Start from 0 and can go to 10.

We all should admit that melee and even quick melee can be fun and can provide a nice button smashing experience as you plod through enemies, going knee deep, despite being overly challenging in how it works(Or doesn't) and what results it gets. It's also very contradictory, in some cases melee seems to be OP and in others, clearly UP. This doesn't exactly speak volumes about how balanced the system is. But... Yes, fun, because it's broken(Not in the OP sense, in the sense that it works in a weird way producing sometimes entertaining results one way or another).

Competitive? Hell no. What melee does, can be done better by a plethora of other means. Just some of us prefer to bash enemies in the head or cut them in half because Blood for the Blood God, or some other similar reason. But melee can't compete with top or even mid tier abilities and weapons no matter what frames the player is using, including Valkyr. In fact, frames which capitalize on melee combat ignore melee weapons(Like Valkyr's Hysteria) or sacrifice too much for a mediocre result, which is viable but can be boring or have little utility. So no, there is nothing competitive about melee.

...Which also answers whether melee as a system is a good alternative to other play styles, beyond the fact that some of us just like it more for reasons and science(As there is really not much else to like melee for, currently).

Yeah, we do need a whole new melee system and I think it needs to be prioritized over a new Damage system. It's a fun system and needs to be expanded and balanced.

Edited by Kunavi

Each stance needs to do something different. Hypothetical example:

Crimson Dervish: CC

Iron Phoenix: Individual Targets

With the current state of the system, there will be always a favorite stance. They only make damage and nothing else. There is no reason to pick Iron Phoenix over Crismon Dervish.

There is an exception, at least in my opinion, Reaping Spiral or however it is written. A combo is used to attack an individual and knock it down, leaving it vulnerable to finishers, while the other one is used to clear big groups of enemies. The animations look good and it works.

A lock on system could be useful too, maybe.

Are you trying to go melee with nekros ? You just need a proper build for it, melee can be very efective with proper builds. You need to design your warframe mods around it. Get level 1 life strike and you will be healed to max health.

As a main Valkyr with Vitality and Steel Fiber maxed up, I can say that you just haven't had enough experience with melee. That Valkyr of mine, how about close to death from one bombard at T4 Int wave 10 or so, how about 2/3rds of that hp from one close up shot from a corpus with a shotgun, and that's full Valkyr, how do you expect other frames to melee? There's no way you can melee more or less effectively with other frames starting at levels like 60, depending on the frame.

Whatever mods you put in your Nekros or any other of the squishier frames, you will never ever be able to melee at higher levels, and even with the tanky ones you'll start facing problems with the effectiveness of melee at 70 or so even with the best weapons.

Healed to max health with level 1 Life Strike? You for real? A fully maxed Life Strike and at 254% STR Buff on a Valkyr, which gives insane speed that you gotta click-click-click like mad in order for the combo to work right is often not fast enough to replenish your health, you gotta hide and reengage or go hysteria.

Melee should be buffed to be on par with primaries and even some secondaries.

Edited by frohdoe

Really, I think they should've done a 2-button Heavy and Light(or Primary and Alternate) attack system (yes, I know DE said they didn't want to try a typical system. To heck with that now.)

Some changes, keeping consoles in mind: Channeling could be moved to the reload button, but would probably have to be set as a toggle(consoles); the old Channeling button would now be open for a second melee attack.

Some benefits of this new system would be a reduction (or even removal) of ill fitting timing-based combos, performing charge attacks via Light Attack could allow lunges or other maneuvers, and a greater amount of combos with far more fluidity and adaptability -- perfect for this type of game.

That's about as far as i've gone into it as of now, any criticisms or expansions would be nice to hear.