Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Campaign Mode Through Quests

DrBorris

Warframe has a very complicated story (not lore) already. The problem is that it is locked away on the wiki. And by this I mean Events. Leaders have come to and fallen from power, the Tenno have fought against each other, we have even blown up Death Stars. But a new player would know none of this because it all happened in the past. DE has already said they are working on turning past events into quests, this is that on steroids.

In some post or another dealing with Warframe’s story or a suggestion about a campaign mode there is a good chance you saw this image.

53Ha18r.png

As you can see, it is quite outdated… but not for long.

As story and lore seem to be big topics of discussion currently, it seemed appropriate that I finally update it and bring it back to the surface of the Forums.

The quest system is still in its infancy; I am sure DE has some plans for it but all we can do is speculate. This is a concept of what can be done with quests. So, rather than being thrown out into the cold once you finish Vor’s Prize there will be an actual story that comes to the surface and evolves as you rank up in Warframe.

Behold, a campaign mode for Warframe.

ntXNtpC.png

• Green Box: Quest already in game
  • Blue Box Proposed Quest
  • Orange Box: Boss Quest
  • Grey Box: Trial
  • Black Box: “To be continued…”
  • Black Line: No-specialization in faction
  • Brown Line: Ancient Storyline
  • Gold Line: Void Storyline
  • Green Line: Grineer Storyline
  • Blue Line: Corpus Storyline
  • Purple Line: Tenno Storyline (Sentient?)

Okay, how to read this behemoth of a picture. It is pretty self-explanatory, in order for you to start a quest all prerequisites must be done (the lines before the quest). This means that you can easily skip side quests (Like Howl of the Kubrow) and move on with the main story. This also means, once you get to the split, that you can learn the story in a nonlinear fashion. Maybe specializing in the Grineer before the Corpus. Forgive me for Stolen Dreams and The New Strange, but I have no idea where they fit into the story.

First things first, the extended tutorial. Warframe is a very complicated game. There are lots of little things that we take for granted that make no sense to a new player. The extended tutorial is not a tutorial in a normal sense, but all of the quests serve a purpose in teaching the newly awoken Tenno. And, from a lore perspective, this is the period of time when you are still re-learning how to walk thus pretty much everything you do is behind the scenes, no blowing up Fomorians yet. The short term goal of the extended tutorial is to soup up your Orbiter so that it may travel the long distances around the Origin System. And, in order to do this, you are going to need your space suit (Archwings). Imagine if you were a Tenno just waking up from cryo sleep, I would think getting your wings back would be at the top of your to-do list. The Asteroid Belt quest I made up is when you actually finally fix your Orbiter so that it may travel past the inner Origin System.

As for those Boss Quests, they are pretty self-explanatory. You go into the quest with the goal of assassinating some character and are taken through a sequence of missions to do so. Some Boss quests may be quick and straightforward, but some like Lephantis would probably be pretty complicated with a lot of Lore dumping.

And once you get your Orbiter all fixed up you start to really meddle with the affairs of the Origin System. Starting with the prelude to the Gradivus Dilemma, Sling Stone. The Gradivus Dilemma is used as the major turning point for this pseudo campaign mode, it is when the major spilt in story begins. I am not going to go too much into detail, but as you can see it breaks off into Grineer and Corpus(?) storylines, then the Mutalist Infested line breaks of right away. This really brings to light how little we know about the Corpus. Then after some time in the Grineer storyline the new Tenno storyline breaks off. You can go back to the earlier quests and see where I put a Void and Ancient Infested storyline, but those two topic are also so vague that I could not do much (Ancient Infested Is the story about the Infested created by the Orokin, which we know little about).

Now don’t jump to the conclusion that this is the end of the star chart, quite the contrary. You will not be able to jump from quest to quest. You still need to find new weapons, rank up mods, participate in some invasions, yada yada yada. The Campaign mode just gives a greater purpose to those things. I would also go out and say that pretty much every mission you unlock is directly tied to a quest. So, for example, you need to do Arid Fear in order to unlock Phobos. This could be a foundation for new reward systems, progression, and who knows what else.

And you know the best part? It is super easy for DE to keep adding more stuff. We can still have events, just turn them into quests after a month or so. This leaves plenty of room for expansion in every which way. So… lets beg DE, make U20: Quests 2.0, The Warframe Campaign (because we all know there is no way this could happen by U19)

Smile, it is a good day.