Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Belial - The Infested Beast Warframe (With Artwork)

Jamescell

fm51GMm.jpg

Intro And Preface: Belial isn't an "infested" frame exactly, as Belial has no allegiance or special connection to the Infested faction more than any Warframe. He does, however, harness the powers of technocyte to mimic Infested capabilities and control his own strain of the compound. Such a difference renders Belial completely lore friendly.

This concept is a collaboration between myself and evergreenmind. I created the initial concept and ability set, and evergreenmind helped me both refine and create the artwork for this concept. The artwork was carefully designed with the abilities and concept in mind. All the artwork seen here was done by evergreenmind. Along with the concept art, there is artwork for each ability. Open the spoilers under each ability to view the ability artwork. If you enjoy this concept, you can show further support by commenting and upvoting this thread.

Warframe Details: Belial is an Infested Warframe that uses savage battle tactics to overwhelm his foes. Belial calls upon his bestial Technocyte powers in times of need, and is a formidable self-serving hunter. Belial was always intended to be infested. The Orokin hand crafted Belial to harness the strength of Technocyte- which is reflected in his somewhat orderly appearance and capabilities- consuming biomass to become more powerful, possessing tremendous alacrity, and spreading infestation to turn the tide of battle. Belial also relies heavily on the infested maw that sits on his chest, which he uses to seal the fate of his enemies.

Lore Compatibility: The concept of an Infested Warframe is entirely possible based on what is known about the Infested, Tenno, and Orokin. The Orokin created the technocyte virus to combat the Sentients which indicates that they had extensive experience with the virus based on experimentation. Furthermore, Warframe’s lore has repeatedly hinted that Tenno are partly technocyte anyways. A few infested bosses refer to the Warframes as akin in flesh, and Rhino Prime’s lore entry further supports the notion that Warframes are of Infested origin. Quite simply, Belial is made of more technocyte than other Warframes to reflect his technocyte-oriented powers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passive, Hive Mind: Infested weapons have improved stats while equipped and consume (which is the first ability) will replenish ammo.

Ability 1, Consume: Belial shoots a hooked tendril from his chest at a target location. The tendril will damage and rip a chunk out of any target it hits (rag-dolling the target) which Belial will then consume, slightly increasing his health and health regen for a duration.

Consume can be used on corpses and stacks, but also caps. Targets that survive become higher priority targets for poppers (see ability 4). Ability is free cast and can miss. Can be used on poppers and allies (see ability 4).

2F2WIk2.jpg

Ability 2, Regurgitate: Belial fires a barrage of infested sludge from his chest that staggers, damages, and slows enemies. Sludge lingers on any surface it hits which lasts a duration and slows enemy movement while augmenting Belial’s movement.

Extra health from consume (see ability 1) is converted into extra damage and duration. Poppers (see ability 4) hit by regurgitate explode immediately. Enemies affected by Assimilate are stunned and take extra damage.

uYIVsgt.jpg

Ability 3, Butcher: All enemies become visible regardless of cover. While active, Belial runs on all-fours with increased movement speed and gains attack speed. Each enemy killed with melee will increase Belial’s movement and attack speed further with a cap.

The ability is channeled and drains energy per second. While walking, standing and attacking Belial will be upright and thus lose any movement benefits while doing so.

8jfQ0ws.jpg

Ability 4, Assimilate: Belial leaps to a target location and slams the ground with infested energy in an AOE that rag-dolls, applies armor ignoring DoT that has a chance to stun, and marks enemies for a duration. Corpses and the corpses of marked enemies spawn poppers- a small infested that attacks enemies and explodes upon death.

Stats are based on the level of enemies that spawned the poppers and scales further based on modding. Existing poppers will explode upon breaching the number cap.

OLfXVQN.jpgaTiEcw4.png

Edited by Jamescell

This is a great idea for a frame. I love the abilities, the aesthetic, and the name.

However, I was thinking maybe you should have Devour consume 4 or 5 energy per use but have a combo counter like with Atlas and Valkyr that decreases the amount of energy needed to cast it with each successful hit. I also think Regurgitate would be great if it procs toxic damage when it's shot onto a surface and the enemy walks in it and procs viral if you hit an enemy with it. Also I think it would be better if his third ability could be toggled and depended on efficiency and not duration, like Valkyr's Hysteria. And I think poppers should be changed to mites or something like that.

Technically you can't have an "infested themed frame" because the "Infested" are part of a hive mind. However, the infested as well as the warframes are composed of Technocyte (At least, that's one of the main components of Warframes) so it would be less of an infested-theme as it is a raw-technocyte theme. So perfectly lore-friendly as long is it is not referred to as infested in any way.

The tenno even state that the warframes CANNOT be infested.

As for the passive, I hate it. I hate it quite significantly. It feels less like rewarding infested weapons, and more like punishing use of non-infested weapons. Why? Because most infested weapons are garbage. So few of them are good, and it means no primes, no prisma, no alert/event weapons and so on.

I don't think consume would work on corpses for a game-engine reason. Corpses appear client-side, and have a separate entity for use of corpses, so even if it looks like you're hitting a corpse client-side, you're probably just aiming at an empty section of floor server-side.

I take it the quadruped motions are limited to sprinting? If so, why even bother? You should be bullet jumping and aimgliding anyway, and if I get on two feet to attack/ shoot, it even further limits the point of doing so.

Assimilate would HEAVILY conflict with the lore of the game. Lotus would never permit use of anything that can potentially spread infestation. Hence you working WITH corpus and grineer to remove it.

Edited by Rehtael7

@-GITV-Crispin, Typhus isn't an infested Warframe. He is a parasitic/viral Warframe. I'm not sure why people even bother to think Typhus is remotely infested... he looks nothing like the infested with all his body armor. 

Also, Belial isn't a full tank if he is to be considered a tank at all. He has one "tanky" ability and even then it's mostly a heal.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "Tank Typhus". I really don't see nearly enough similarities to justify that statement.

Technically you can't have an "infested themed frame" because the "Infested" are part of a hive mind. However, the infested as well as the warframes are composed of Technocyte (At least, that's one of the main components of Warframes) so it would be less of an infested-theme as it is a raw-technocyte theme. So perfectly lore-friendly as long is it is not referred to as infested in any way.

The tenno even state that the warframes CANNOT be infested.

As for the passive, I hate it. I hate it quite significantly. It feels less like rewarding infested weapons, and more like punishing use of non-infested weapons. Why? Because most infested weapons are garbage. So few of them are good, and it means no primes, no prisma, no alert/event weapons and so on.

I don't think consume would work on corpses for a game-engine reason. Corpses appear client-side, and have a separate entity for use of corpses, so even if it looks like you're hitting a corpse client-side, you're probably just aiming at an empty section of floor server-side.

I take it the quadruped motions are limited to sprinting? If so, why even bother? You should be bullet jumping and aimgliding anyway, and if I get on two feet to attack/ shoot, it even further limits the point of doing so.

Assimilate would HEAVILY conflict with the lore of the game. Lotus would never permit use of anything that can potentially spread infestation. Hence you working WITH corpus and grineer to remove it.

I updated the lore compatibility section of the post to clarify. I wasn't clear enough originally. Hopefully you'll realize some of the assumptions you've made about the frame are innacurate (and it will solve your problems with the fourth ability). Also, notice that the poppers are designed to commit suicide. They aren't designed to "spread". They are also not under the control of the hivemind.

As for the passive, I get your point. I would appreciate suggestions to make a more... Flexible passive.

Nice art and idea! I really like the first two powers. I'm not really a fan of another toggled melee move, we have Excalibur, Valkyr, and Wukong with those already. At least Mesa and Ivara's are not melee but another one seems a bit much too me. (Kind of the same problem the first 10 or so frames had with a majority of them having AoE Nuke ults.) Nevertheless, sounds like a cool theme and power set!