Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Issues With The New Refresh Rate Setting...

ahferroin7

So, I already mentioned something about this myself in the 18.2.2 patch note thread, and saw at least one other person with a probably related issue.

In my case, my monitor runs at 60Hz natively, with an option to do 50 or 59.  It claims to support both progressive and interlaced scanning, but only displays things correctly with progressive scan (it works sometimes with interlaced, but most of the time it doesn't).  Warframe is only offering options for 50 and 59.94 Hz refresh rates, and has no option to specify progressive or interlaced, and regardless of the combination of the option in Warframe and the GPU configuration, I get noticeable vertical jitter when running Warframe (and _only_ when running Warframe).  This is most noticeable in the Steam Overlay, and when in the options screen, but it is still noticeable in the regular HUD.  Prior to this update, everything worked just fine.  This jitter is 100% consistent with one of the issues my monitor has when the system tries to use interlaced instead of progressive scan.

Someone else mentioned issues with trying to use HDMI video output with this, which makes sense as a lot of inexpensive HDMI capable monitors and TV's don't identify correctly, and have issues with over-scan (when the actual visible display is smaller than the reported resolution, it's like letter-boxing in reverse) when not configured for the right refresh rate.

This whole idea of being able to set the refresh rate in game is great, except for two things:

1. The reason most games don't have a setting to control refresh rate is not oversight, it's intentional because the GPU and the OS are supposed to be able to figure out what refresh rate the monitor wants.  This doesn't always work of course, but that would be why there is an option in almost every graphics driver out there to manually specify the refresh rate.

2. There is no option to use the OS's default for the refresh rate, like Warframe was doing before.  This is important because in some cases Warframe isn't setting up the GPU correctly with the requested refresh rate, leading to various issues such as indicated above.  While I admire adding configurability, something like this that has serious potential to break things in a way that makes the game unplayable for some people should have an option to use the old method, and default to using that.

Edited by ahferroin7

Having exactly the same issue (50 and 59.94 Hz settings and constant jitter). Happens only in Warframe as well, haven't experienced it anywhere else. When switching to windowed, it's the correct 60 Hz and everything looks fine, but I like playing WF fullscreen, so adding an option to do it the old way would be great. 

Yeah, this was obviously not tested to the degree it should have been (if you're making money off of a piece of software that is freely accessible, it's not a beta, period).  On top of that, I'd be willing to bet that the 'issues' that this fixed for people (and I'd be willing to bet it's a pretty small percentage of the community) were caused not by Warframe, but by Windows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Switch to Boarderless Fullscreen no more problems with refresh ingame and in Overlay, Refresh will be probably set on 59.94 but no more jitter atleast =)

Yeah , at the cost of performance loss which is really wtf

I find it awesome how the devs ignore this problem that was made by them