Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Camera Feels Choppy

thethirdlore

hi, i'm fairly new to warframe and have enjoyed what i have played so far. however i am noticing  the camera movement feels extremely choppy and i feel like this is detracting from my overall experience. I am running at well over 60 frames and the animations seem fine it's only the camera movement which is giving me problems and i am lost as to what to do. i have turned v-sync and motion blur off and everything else is on max in case that helps

I know what he means. That choppy feeling is defined like a simply blocky grid issue. It feels like you are aiming at the very single pixels in the game, while you are accurate but yet not smoothly aiming and moving around the camera.

There is, sadly, no options making this better or solving it, unless DE keeps scritping the usual mouse smoothing into the settings. Most of the egoshooters do have it, because of that issue.

frame rate is generally 100-120 frames. frame limiter is not on

Unless you have a 120hz monitor I'd recommend capping the framerate at 72 or so.

Also windowed, fullscreen, borderless fullscreen?

Could you perhaps show what you mean with like a recording or screenshot and diagram?

Unless you have a 120hz monitor I'd recommend capping the framerate at 72 or so.

Also windowed, fullscreen, borderless fullscreen?

Could you perhaps show what you mean with like a recording or screenshot and diagram?

my monitor is only 60hz so i'll try capping the frame rate and im currently running the game borderless fullscreen because i find myself frequently alt-tabbing

Edited by thethirdlore

my monitor is only 60hz so i'll try capping the frame rate and im currently running the game borderless fullscreen because i find myself frequently alt-tabbing

Are you alt-tabbing to anything in the background that could put stress on your system? Maybe try running in fullscreen without alt tabbing?

Not suggesting this is the final solution, just trying to narrow down suspects. :)

I've actually noticed this problem as well, only on certain tilesets in Ceres however.

It may be because my personal system is not quite powerful enough to run at the quality I do. Which is 1920x1080 Fullscreen, framerate capped at 60 FPS and pretty much every slider on / at max value.

Even at the 60 FPS cap, I notice that my system actually reports a steady 58 fps, which I think is limited by the engine itself. At the 30 FPS cap, the game actually refreshes 30 times in a second which is normal. (according to the in-game frame monitor)

As for the camera and having it feel sticky/jumpy, I have seen it before, and I'm wondering if lowering some graphical settings will help deter things like that.

Here are my PC Specs for anyone wondering:

Intel I7-4700MQ (2.4Ghz to 3.4Ghz) 4 cores 8 threads. 

32 GB of 1600 Mhz RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 770m

I don't recall my driver version, but I think it is the latest Gameready driver from Geforce Experience.

I may experiment with different graphical settings and see if any changes affect the camera smoothness in any way.

No AA, V-sync on/off, and some other settings.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

Are you alt-tabbing to anything in the background that could put stress on your system? Maybe try running in fullscreen without alt tabbing?

Not suggesting this is the final solution, just trying to narrow down suspects. :)

Had running Warframe always on fullscreen - same blocky/choppy aim behavior.

Running currently on windowed (fast message checking of IMs) - same here.

Quite the only game which has this odd mouse behavior.

This "choppy aim" you guys are describing... Does it make you feel like the game is running at lower FPS then it actually is? Or are you guys talking about screen tearing?

None of them.

i5-4690K 4.50GHz, 16GB SD-DDR3 RAM, Asus Rog Matrix AMD Radeon R9 290X 4G. Enough performance running Crysis 3 on maxed.

Screen tearing is more a v-sync issue, which no one here has it, nor is the point of this thread.

It is more about the each single pixel you are aiming at. There are now flawless transitions between each grid coordinate, no smoothness, rather blocky and choppy precise aiming. 

None of them.

i5-4690K 4.50GHz, 16GB SD-DDR3 RAM, Asus Rog Matrix AMD Radeon R9 290X 4G. Enough performance running Crysis 3 on maxed.

Screen tearing is more a v-sync issue, which no one here has it, nor is the point of this thread.

It is more about the each single pixel you are aiming at. There are now flawless transitions between each grid coordinate, no smoothness, rather blocky and choppy precise aiming. 

You know I wasn't depreciating anyone's hardware, right? I was just asking for information.

What you're describing seems to be what I know as "stuttering". I've had it for several months now, but in my case it only happens when I have V-sync enabled.

Any chance you're using a 60Hz monitor?

You know I wasn't depreciating anyone's hardware, right? I was just asking for information.

What you're describing seems to be what I know as "stuttering". I've had it for several months now, but in my case it only happens when I have V-sync enabled.

Any chance you're using a 60Hz monitor?

Currently using the Asus Rog Swift ... the lowest possible Hz would be 75Hz with my old Asus VE247 monitor.

Haven't saw any difference capping it at 144Hz (instead of V-Syncing or using the inbuilt mechanics of the Swiftwith me GeForce GPU) nor capping it at 75Hz (without any other specialization).

Currently using the Asus Rog Swift ... the lowest possible Hz would be 75Hz with my old Asus VE247 monitor.

Haven't saw any difference capping it at 144Hz (instead of V-Syncing or using the inbuilt mechanics of the Swiftwith me GeForce GPU) nor capping it at 75Hz (without any other specialization).

It's weird how we seem to have the same (or similar) problem playing the game in very different ways and using considerably different hardware.

i7-3770K 3.50GHz, 8GB RAM, Geforce GTX 970 4GB. I only play with V-sync enabled and my monitor can't go higher then 60Hz.

I think it's a game wide issue. Like I said earlier, I'm getting about 58 fps most of the time while capped at 60 fps for the in-game limiter.

The FPS is at an optimal level most of the time, but it does make it feel as if the game is stuttering slightly. I still see this problem but it is most noticeable on certain Ceres tilesets.

It is kind of hard to describe, but once you've seen it you will know what we mean.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

Would anyone be able to record a video of what exactly they mean by "choppy camera"? It sounds like some sort of stuttering is occurring under the hood, which may be more CPU related than GPU.. however without an example it is difficult to tell for sure. 

This may be an issue.

It will be kinda hard to capture what we mean, because most programs have set recording FPS values (30fps, 60fps or higher.) What we are talking about is such a minute problem that it may be hard to pick up in a recording.

If it helps, during a consistent 58fps or 60fps whether or not your settings are at optimum values for your system. Movement of the mouse is smooth, but the transition on screen is sometimes jumpy, not a screen tearing issue, but something else entirely.

I haven't seen this in any other game actually, so that may be the best way I can describe it. Just a noticeable jump during mouse movement, and for me personally, it is only noticeable on certain tiles; although it may be happening to a small degree everywhere else.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

first of all thank you for all the replies, i have honestly never been a part of a gaming community so willing to help, it's really amazing.

the problem to me is it kind of seems like the game is running at 30 frames but the animations and effects all seem fine, it really only affects the camera movement. it even affects me while i'm in my ship i have found.

i may not have the most powerful computer yet the games definitely gets well above 60 frames as both the in game fps counter and third party software which have been reliable to me in the past, such as razer cortex, have shown a framerate generally above 100 frames.

If it helps, during a consistent 58fps or 60fps whether or not your settings are at optimum values for your system. Movement of the mouse is smooth, but the transition on screen is sometimes jumpy, not a screen tearing issue, but something else entirely.

this is probably a better way of explaining my problem, it's kind of difficult to put into words as it's not your usual problems like stuttering and frame lag

I've notice my Warframes' animations jittering when in motion. I've notice this since the parkour 2.0 update. It looks very ugly and the floatiness of the movement animations along with it. I figured these issues would be toned down or fixed completely by now.

I don't think this is so much a camera issues as it is the games detection of the "ground". It's like you're constantly about to fall through the floor during certain motions but it's corrected in almost an instant. But we can still see it. when the frame rate is 30, it's almost impossible to see it.

This video is not mine and I realize this is from an entirely different game. However, what I see in this video is exactly the same thing I see in certain Warframe maps. There's this very subtle apparent loss of FPS, as if the game was deliberately skipping some frames.

If you skip to 2:57 you'll see how it looks when the problem gets more severe. Again, there is no reduction in FPS whatsoever.

I can't really make a video of my own, but if I could it would look just like that.

A quick recording I took on a Ceres node:

The obvious example that demonstrates the effect is while focusing on the hacking console.  It stutters quite a bit.

An edited showing of the same location + a closeup of the in-game stats.  No clue if the fluctuating FPS counter (>60) indicates an issue.

V-sync is enabled, frame limit is not being used.  Refresh rate option is at 60hz.  If I use only the frame limit option @60fps without v-sync there is too much screen tear to make it playable.

Recorded at 60 FPS while aimed in, moved my cursor around a bit, examined the recording, there were no dropped/duplicate frames as far as output is concerned.

R8OmprD.gif

Aimed in and swerved my cursor around faster this time to try to see the jumps between frames, things look a bit uneven but I'm not sure if it's my hands, the fact that I was trying to go in a circle, my standard wireless mouse, or what (this gif is slower).

sbfwrvm.gif

Would using mousekeys to get steady input be an acceptable test?

Edited by Rydian

[...]

An edited showing of the same location + a closeup of the in-game stats.  No clue if the fluctuating FPS counter (>60) indicates an issue.

[...]

I noticed the same thing happening here a while ago. Every time there is stuttering the FPS exceeds 60. The higher the stuttering, the further up it will go. I had already reported this on a support ticket, so it might not be a bug.

Thanks for the video. That is exactly the same thing I see here.

[...]

Would using mousekeys to get steady input be an acceptable test?

The camera lag you're getting on that second recording appears to be massive. It seems more like a wireless mouse problem then actual stuttering, but I can't be sure. If you could run some tests with a wired mouse I think that would be ideal. Otherwise you could maybe try using just your keyboard for moving around. Thanks for uploading these.