Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

18.3 Glaive Fix Is Not Enough

Cray

While it's faster than it was yesterday, it's still not enough. We need the OLD mechanic, where you'd throw it without the initial swing.

Edit: Also, the change in animation from old to current throwing really messes me up, partly due to being way over on the opposite side of my frame in relation to the camera, and tends to hit stuff I'm deceptively close to, despite having plenty of space over on my right side, but also because I MOVE FORWARD when throwing. Tight spaces are not friendly towards glaive users.

Edited by DeltaPhantom

I haven't played the new update, but they didn't just revert the changes? How are the Kestrel and such?

EDIT: Got home, played it, tested the changes. While it looks much cooler than pre-U18, it is still not as usable. A further charge speed increase would be very useful.

Edited by Insizer

It's not just the Glaive/Redeemer, it's all the charge attacks so far.

At this point, the charge attacks need to be pulled and finished, as they are almost unusable on every weapon I have tested with, and have extreme compatibility issues with many Stances, any with hold-melee at some point in their combos.

I haven't played the new update, but they didn't just revert the changes? How are the Kestrel and such?

They "shortened the animation time" (paraphrasing changenotes), but they didn't revert.

Edited by DeltaPhantom

They "shortened the animation time" (paraphrasing), but they didn't revert.

*facepalm* Why? It is not like they were super popular weapons to begin with... I mean I swore by my Kestrel, but I have only played with a handful of people that used thrown/shot melees (including probably the only person who uses the Halikar). No one complained about the old system, granted the animation looks better after U18, but functionally it was fine. No need to reinvent the wheel which you already invented in the first place.

It's not just the Glaive/Redeemer, it's all the charge attacks so far.

At this point, the charge attacks need to be pulled and finished, as they are almost unusable on every weapon I have tested with, and have extreme compatibility issues with many Stances, any with hold-melee at some point in their combos.

Ok, thanks for the info. And yes, the charge system needs to be looked at imo. 

While it's faster than it was yesterday, it's still not enough. We need the OLD mechanic, where you'd throw it without the initial swing.

Edit: Also, the change in animation from old to current throwing really messes me up, partly due to being way over on the opposite side of my frame in relation to the camera, and tends to hit stuff I'm deceptively close to, despite having plenty of space over on my right side, but also because I MOVE FORWARD when throwing. Tight spaces are not friendly towards glaive users.

Indeed. This needs to be changed back to the old version.

It still feels really slow and sluggish to throw my Kestrel and that initial swing really makes my head hurt. I will stay away from this game until they actually REVERT it back to its good old state.

Edited by Judqment8

the first thing i did after patch and seeing notes was immediately test gaive

had high hopes to use my beloved glaive prime again, to utilize a favorite playstyle again 

it is faster than before but as OP has said its not enough

it just feels horrible

-the awkward over exaggerated pre-swing

(it needs to be even shorter and smoother straight into the throw)

-the throw is really lose / wide from your warframes position in ratio to your targeting reticle 

(it should feel tighter and closer in, throwing out from your position)

-the excessive screen shake / recoil effect is insane ! easily headache inducing :(

appreciate that the attempt has been made esp in light of the reported difficulties due to the charge attack reintroductions affecting animations

but if these issues cannot be addressed a revision to the old animations for thrown melee would be the best solution tbh

not having smooth thrown melee kills an entire playstyle that is sorely missed 

Indeed. This needs to be changed back to the old version.

It still feels really slow and sluggish to throw my Kestrel and that initial swing really makes my head hurt. I will stay away from this game until they actually REVERT it back to its good old state.

I'd be fine with the new animation (sort of), I mostly want the charge speed reverted to pre-U18 levels.

Edited by Insizer

I could live with the extra animation IF the overall time to throw was the same as before the addition of charge mechanics broke the weapons.

+1 OP, still too slow, please fix this DE.

For clarity, fix does not mean "adjust to better than it was after we broke it, but not quite as good as before we broke it".

I do think they need to restore the right side throw. While I'm getting used to the left shoulder throw, its still an issue when the weapon keeps hitting objects because I'm throwing from the wrong side. This is especially true when throwing from cover. Looking out the right side because the Warframe is right handed, but the throw from the left almost always blocks it, and orienting over the left should you can't even see the arm.

I concur. I've tested out the glaive and redeemer, and they're still flawed horribly in their current state. They've somehow acquired a horribly nauseating screen shake, aiming the glaive is not intuitive due to the un-necessary arm swap/pre-throw flailing, and the redeemer has a whole raft of problems - it shoots too quickly for you to aim it, there's no indication of where the pellets are hitting (so you can't judge the spread) and it seems to have acquired damage falloff when it didn't exhibit that behaviour before.

Thrown/charged weapons were just fine a year ago. Not one bit about them needed changing. So why do it? What was the point?

I concur. I've tested out the glaive and redeemer, and they're still flawed horribly in their current state. They've somehow acquired a horribly nauseating screen shake, aiming the glaive is not intuitive due to the un-necessary arm swap/pre-throw flailing, and the redeemer has a whole raft of problems - it shoots too quickly for you to aim it, there's no indication of where the pellets are hitting (so you can't judge the spread) and it seems to have acquired damage falloff when it didn't exhibit that behaviour before.

Thrown/charged weapons were just fine a year ago. Not one bit about them needed changing. So why do it? What was the point?

My thoughts exactly. All these nerfs and unneeded changes to the whip/sword, glaive, and gunblades just shouldn't have happened. They should have just made an exemption for them in the new system. They should have never touched them except to maybe buff the charge speeds or damage, and that's a big maybe (except the redeemer, that thing could really use both a charge rate and SLIGHT damage increase, especially since it has BOTH limited range and damage falloff).

My thoughts exactly. All these nerfs and unneeded changes to the whip/sword, glaive, and gunblades just shouldn't have happened. They should have just made an exemption for them in the new system. They should have never touched them except to maybe buff the charge speeds or damage, and that's a big maybe (except the redeemer, that thing could really use both a charge rate and SLIGHT damage increase, especially since it has BOTH limited range and damage falloff).

I am actually really happy with where the redeemer is now. Just use it like a shotgun for charge attacks now get them in your sight then fire, and hold a little more for another shot combo'd in. Throwing melee still feels a little off but at the same time the old throw animation was always really ugly in my opinion. Removing the slash before the charge and the screen shake, and that would do it for me.

As a side not I am pretty sure the new glaive throw does have a dmg multiplier that the old one didn't have so while it is a tad slower it does do more dmg.

Edited by Legionofone

I find it strange that they were nerfed to begin with...the dps was never something special. The most use was in pvp as the basedamage is pretty high... just releasing another gunblade stance with just this mechanic and excluding the faster/chargeable glaive/gunblade stances from pvp would've been enough...

Geez...so much for pvp won't affect pve...

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

I find it strange that they were nerfed to begin with...the dps was never something special. The most use was in pvp as the basedamage is pretty high... just releasing another gunblade stance with just this mechanic and excluding the faster/chargeable glaive/gunblade stances from pvp would've been enough...

Geez...so much for pvp won't affect pve...

I don't think it was intentional. More like the glaives got screwed up big time when they reintroduced the charge mechanic for other weapons. Now they have issues reverting that for unknown reasons. Perhaps it's somewhat "global" charge rule and it's hard to get around it?

Don't know what are the reasons, but glaives need to be reverted back.

Edited by Judqment8

The worst part is that you actually do step forward before throwing now. Exploding yourself because of this is not very fun. There was something like this before charge attack was reintroduced, but only with equipped glaive. Now it doesn't matter, you will step forward for some reason anyway. 

I thought originally this glaive nerf was pointed on making life harder for Bless Trinity, but now I just don't get it. New charge attack doesn't affect Trinity, it just affects people who actually using the glaive for what it was designed for.