Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

18.3 Glaive Fix Is Not Enough

Cray

I played it yesterday. It's 100% fine. Yes it has the initial swing, but of you look it's more or less counted as the charge too. Even better thrown can now be used for both quick and full equip. I litterally can't stop using my kestral now. Just way too good. (Mind you the kestral lacks in damage)

There's next to 0 charge time after its swung back. Charge time as a whole, after E is pressed is roughly the same as it was pre-U18 that's now counting the half swing. Except now we don't have to deal with the half swing bug at all. It just does a swing before a throw everytime. Looks buttery smooth, feels oh so good

EDIT: If I had to sum it up, feels the same as pre-U18, just looks smoother.

Edited by SeEnCreaTive

I played it yesterday. It's 100% fine. Yes it has the initial swing, but of you look it's more or less counted as the charge too. Even better thrown can now be used for both quick and full equip. I litterally can't stop using my kestral now. Just way too good. (Mind you the kestral lacks in damage)

There's next to 0 charge time after its swung back. Charge time as a whole, after E is pressed is roughly the same as it was pre-U18 that's now counting the half swing. Except now we don't have to deal with the half swing bug at all. It just does a swing before a throw everytime. Looks buttery smooth, feels oh so good

EDIT: If I had to sum it up, feels the same as pre-U18, just looks smoother.

That's just your opinion. As a player who mains the Kestrel the change is really awkward. The swing before the throw is clumsy, makes your frame step forward and is SLOW. Also the camera shake and position is just headache inducing.

kesterkil.jpg

That's 70% of my ~1700 hours in the game. Been using it from the day one it was released and it has never felt so bad to use as it does now.

Also few of my old videos back from the "good-ol-days":

Edited by Judqment8

I know consoles don't have the same update as PC but just playing around with my Glaive Prime and I really miss the old charge/throw mechanic. I know they explained why charging can't be instant in Dev Stream 67, but the thing is in U 17 throwing melee charge was instant. There was no full pre swing. Just a slight jerk and immediately into the charge animation. I don't understand why the throwing melees can't go back to that. Honestly rather all melees go back to that.

Seriously, we have a reload button on all platforms that is useless when wielding a melee. Can we use that button for charge attacks and revert throwing melees back? I know a lot of the older players wanted charge attacks back but at this point I rather they just get rid of them. Certain stances bet messed up with charge attacks and you have to fully charge to use them. I am mostly melee player and haven't used charge attacks for weeks now just because of how awkward they are.

Sticking charge attacks on the reload key is useless if you're currently wielding a gun. That's the whole point of the glaive - the ability to chuck out something pointy while you're reloading, when something sneaks up on you when you have your Penta out, or just because you feel like using it on a whim.

Still no revert in the latest hotfx. Will this really be the final state for the Glaive weapons?

I hope to god that's a no, since my poor little Glaive is kinda broken at the moment :(

The shake thing and the left offset thing are really my main issues right now.

Can we make glaive able to self damage again? Pls? I miss having a blessed melee.

When did it stop? I've almost blown myself up multiple times this week.

Anyway, that is not how self damage is supposed to function. Asking for stuff like that is asking for DE to go look at ways to make the weapons even worse to stop people abusing a side mechanic.

I hope to god that's a no, since my poor little Glaive is kinda broken at the moment :(

The shake thing and the left offset thing are really my main issues right now.

I will sit tight and see how long will I have to wait for the fix. Maybe it comes in few weeks, maybe it takes months or maybe it never comes. Whatever happens I will not be playing the game till this thing gets sorted.

Might sound childish and ridiculous to some people, but I have plenty of other games to play and ruining my favorite weapon combined with lackluster updates are enough reasons for me to stay off. Kestrel was one of the reasons why I kept playing daily even if I didn't have anything to really grind for.

I will sit tight and see how long will I have to wait for the fix. Maybe it comes in few weeks, maybe it takes months or maybe it never comes. Whatever happens I will not be playing the game till this thing gets sorted.

Might sound childish and ridiculous to some people, but I have plenty of other games to play and ruining my favorite weapon combined with lackluster updates are enough reasons for me to stay off. Kestrel was one of the reasons why I kept playing daily even if I didn't have anything to really grind for.

I fully understand. I stopped using my Alt account with Excal/Glaive until the charge issue was resolved, but I was just playing my main as normal.

I have Guild Wars 2 - and soon I will have The Division as well - to alternate to. It's too taxing to play ONE thing non stop anyway. Things tend to get reworked long term anyway, so it's a waiting game.

• 2 weeks later...

That's just your opinion. As a player who mains the Kestrel the change is really awkward. The swing before the throw is clumsy, makes your frame step forward and is SLOW. Also the camera shake and position is just headache inducing.

kesterkil.jpg

That's 70% of my ~1700 hours in the game. Been using it from the day one it was released and it has never felt so bad to use as it does now.

Also few of my old videos back from the "good-ol-days":

And as a player from close to the start of open beta,  "only" 550 hours around 77% usage and "only" 60k kills. I wish I had a screen, looks like I deleted the picture I'll have to grab one when I get home. Don't quote me on those stats. But trust me it's up there

I do know what I'm talking about as well. 

Yes the step forward is actually super annoying. And yes the screen shake is the most awful thing. But with the fix, I still think the charge time is fine, and actually prefer the half swing before the throw. You have to bring it back anyways to throw it forward, might as well make that an effective swing. It really does a good job blending the animations, and is probably THE most satisfying thing to get a kill with the swing, then throw it for another kill

While it's faster than it was yesterday, it's still not enough. We need the OLD mechanic, where you'd throw it without the initial swing.

Edit: Also, the change in animation from old to current throwing really messes me up, partly due to being way over on the opposite side of my frame in relation to the camera, and tends to hit stuff I'm deceptively close to, despite having plenty of space over on my right side, but also because I MOVE FORWARD when throwing. Tight spaces are not friendly towards glaive users.

I agree. The old animation was better for the hold mechanic.

The problem is for this not the mechanic for glaive and any other mostly charged weapons the reason for this is they made the mechanics for melees as is in order to perform combos easier but charged attacks suffered from it my suggestion is DE needs to go back to to old mechanic for weapons that are heavily used for their charge attacks and leave the rest as is

Edited by Bloodskll

The self damage with the glaive needs to be removed. It's what really makes me not want to use the weapon. Or at the very least be reduced like how the Tonkor is.

After this post you have become an enemy for every (almost) Trinity in the world. Run.

The problem is for this not the mechanic for glaive and any other mostly charged the reason for this is they made the mechanics for melees as is in order to perform combos easier but charged attacks suffered from it my suggestion is is DE needs to go back to to old mechanic for weapons that are heavily used for their charge attacks and leave the rest as is

I agree. But that old system was good for using melee as a augment. The new system was designed to allow you to use a melee as a primary.

I think the best of both worlds would be to move to a god of war style combo system. The holding E for different times can be tedious, arguable that it creates a higher skill cap, but there's a fine line between skill cap and quality of life.

There's no way I'll take a sword over my single click death to the masses Hek. Especially wheregarding the game play if warfame is focused on speed. Not efficiently killing fast, you run into some problems, like lack of ammo, or you going down rather quickly at high levels (most sorties can 1 or 2 shot you). So things like doing a full combo, or even taking some time to empty a full auto clip, can slow you down. Or you just simply run out of ammo

Although we'really getting slightly off topic

Edited by SeEnCreaTive

Have been trying to use the Kestrel again for few days. I just simply can't enjoy using it like I did back in the days.

Here are the main issues with the throw. The initial swing slows down the throwing too much, it was much faster and lot more convenient to throw before. The initial swing causes your frame to take a step forward which can make you fall of ledges or generally just disturb your aiming. The animation with the throw is a little bit off as the point of throwing causes the throws not go where you are aiming (causes frequent self damage or even suicides with Power Throw equipped).

The awful recoil and the camera shake while throwing the glaive weapons is just way excessive, it has one of the biggest recoils in the game and makes using the glaive bothersome and annoying (it's a throwing weapon and causes more recoil than the explosive weapons?).

The best solution as I see is to return the completely working throwing system we had before U18 to the glaive weapons when you are using them "off-hand". And then keep the current animation + swing (without the mandatory forward step and horrible screen shakes/recoils) when using the weapons "on-hand". That way you can please the throwing fans as well as the people who like to go full/mixed melee with it.

I love Kestrel and I hate to see it in its current state. The throwing weapons are enough niche and underused as it is. They are mediocre at the best and not a pick for everyone. The current problems with them aren't exactly helping their "popularity".

Edited by Judqment8

By the way people who want to use the Glaives as throwing weapons should equip the Gleaming Talon stance instead of Astral Twilight. With Gleaming the initial swing doesn't have an awkward forward step which helps a bit to make the weapon feel more comfortable.

Also perhaps adjustments for Glaives in 18.5? (one can dream :3)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...