Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

High Dynamic Range & Adaptive Exposure Inconsistencies

Rydian

Since the last major lighting change, I've noticed that with certain settings off, various tiles (mainly Grineer) are way too dark.  Other players have told me they noticed the same thing.  While turning some settings on can fix this, the same settings have a negative effect in other tiles.  

My specs and settings (minus the ones changed for the tests) are as follows.

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i5-6500
Nvidia GTX 970 (driver version 361.43)
16GB RAM

UI71vNFl.png

Here's various screenshots showing what happens when HDR+AE are toggled around.

• Default Brightness, Grineer Indoors
    None
    hKByCbFl.jpg

HDR
    UdmZwAEl.jpg

Adaptive
    pRfoJHBl.jpg

HDR + Adaptive
    2btCEgyl.jpg
    No change is noticeable when either setting is used alone.  Both have to be used in tandem to get a noticeable effect, and in this type of tile they have the beneficial effect of increasing visibility.
  • Max Brightness, Grineer Indoors
    None
    vqRA0tGl.jpg

HDR
    Dj743oGl.jpg

Adaptive
    qm3TBa4l.jpg

HDR + Adaptive
    d4Zd8EZl.jpg
    As above, both settings need to be on and it makes the screen more uniformly visible.

• Default Brightness, Europa Outdoors
    None
    YqzmVdhl.jpg

HDR
    IvykmuQl.jpg

Adaptive
    u9eoK1Sl.jpg

HDR + Adaptive
    kTXXVUfl.jpg
    Once again the settings do little that can be noticed when used alone.  However this time when both are turned on, the screen actually loses a lot of visibility.  It darkens and effective contrast is reduced, it looks more washed out.

• Max Brightness, Europa Outdoors
    None
    tiP6CAwl.jpg

HDR
    Ny3rSLql.jpg

Adaptive
    dqHEJDtl.jpg

HDR + Adaptive
    GsMvX5Ol.jpg
    One on does nothing notable, both on makes outdoor scenes look dull.

I'd like to keep these settings on for added visibility in the Grineer tiles which have become incredibly dark, but it makes outdoor tiles look worse instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Just responding to say I have similar issues.

I actually like having all HDR, adaptive exposure, color correction and bloom on, I just have this nasty dilemma where it looks pretty, but it hurts my eyes really much and gives me serious headaches, so I'm forced to turn them off, but then the game becomes really dark and I have to crank up the brightness a lot, which can mess up with some other visuals (for instance, space ships can look oddly bright against the darkness of space).

And I can't find a perfect setting for brightness, either it's too dark on Grineer and especially infested tilesets, or way too bright in Orokin tilesets.

I'd love a balanced setting so I don't have to tweak my graphics based on where I'm fighting at.

Most of all I'd love to have all the HDR, adaptive exposure, color correction and bloom on, just slightly muted so they don't cause immediate pain and I can enjoy the vibrant colours and contrast the game provides.