Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Idea] Weather And Time States.

Luminati07

Hey everyone,

I did originally post this sometime ago, but seeing as it's been quite a decent amount of time, and we know that DE is bringing out new outdoor tilesets in the future (Grineer settlements), I think this topic is relevant again.

I'd love to see some sort of weather mechanic in current andfuture outdoor settings.
Before the level begins, the game would decide on a particular weather setting out of a list.

Some ideas I thought were:
Daytime.
Nighttime.
Snow.
Light / Medium / Heavy Rain
Light /.Heavy Thunderstorms.
Snow.
Fog.
Perhaps a desert level with sand storms.

Expanding on that idea, perhaps a combination of weather states could be selected randomly by the game.
Foggy daytime.
Foggy rain.
Snowing night time.
Raining daytime.
Raining nighttime.
Foggy nighttime.

etc.
There's a ton of possibilities.

The upcoming Grineer settlements are set in the desert so snow and fog wouldn't really make sense. (rain can still occur in deserts)

For those who have played Battlefield 3 (I quit a very long time ago), you may, or may not, have noticed the amount of players wishing for night time / rainy / snowing maps.
The following video is fan made, and shows how different a map can feel with a simple weather or time change. (Not simple to make, I'm sure. But something like night time can seriously change how you view a map)

Another possibility includes possible gameplay changes from weather states.

Night time maps - Increases stealth ability, but would reduce your ability to see enemies. However, it also means that enemies have a harder time seeing you.
Thunderstorms - A (very rare) chance of lightning hitting the ground, would stagger you if nearby, or damage you if it's a direct hit. But also has a chance of hitting enemies, or staggering a group of them.
Fog - Much like night time, reduces visibility of you and enemies, but increases your ability to sneak around.

There really is a tonne of options that open up, just from the state of weather / time.
One other huge plus of a weather system, is that it could greatly reduce the 'same-y' feel of the current maps.

Thanks for reading, thoughts?

*Edit*

Yes, I'm almost 100% certain something like this has been posted before.

There's no way I'm the first person to think of adding weather and night-time.

Just wanted to put that out there, before anyone says something like "this has been suggested before, think of your own stuff"

Edited by Nugget_

Wow.

I would really love to see this happen.

Well we do have these "frost" levels, which halves your shields, but having that kind of stuff in the snow levels would be really awesome.

F.e. if you are outside in these snow levels (outside like not in a building) your shields get halved and when inside they are as usual. Would definetely add to the feeling of "gosh it's cold here".

Anyhow, I really like your ideas.

Nugget_, Although i enjoy the idea you do realize that such a feat would only be welcomed if we had the "somewhat" massive FPS spikes we get atm resolved. The more elements you add to a map, at this stage, the worse we are off.

Just out of curiosity, does warframe have dedicated servers?

No, it does not for your multiplayer experience, only for storing your account data. It's Peer to Peer everything else

If it's like that then we might have a problem. The amount of particles needed to visually make snow, fog etc.. real will simply be too much for whoever has a bad internet connection (since he will be the one hosting)

Probably not, really. That sort of aesthetic detail could be handled completely clientside. There is no major reason weather conditions should be synchronised, unless there are things like Tornadoes whipping up enemies into the air.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

Probably not, really. That sort of aesthetic detail could be handled completely clientside. There is no major reason weather conditions should be synchronised, unless there are things like Tornadoes whipping up enemies into the air.

Then your reason for having weather is different than mine m8 :). I want weather to really have an impact on playing like for instance let's take snow. In some regions snow can have a chill effect which indeed affects suit performance but as well as enemies. How to counter that , well use mods (have to be created) which give immunity to chill effect or something of the kind.

There are already map effect resistance mods available, such a Warm Coat An extended weather system like the one you propose could take advantage of that.

One cannot know what you envision unless you explain it first, and I was assuming that you were asking based on the proposition made by the OP which, by the looks of it, is a little different from your idea.

It'd be better to make Venus more similar to Venus, Mars to be like Mars, Earth to be like Earth etc...every planet looks the same now, it really kills realism and atmosphere.

Agreed. You would expect Venus outdoor missions to be hot as hell itself, with lava rivers and volcanoes and that sort of thing. Right now you play Kiliken and get a snow map. ._.

OP, I like your ideas. they can get very complex and i really like that. somo computers might have a bit of an issue, but nothing significant. a lot of effects can be done based on player perspective. you don't actually have to fill the environment with snow flakes. just make it look like it is from the player point of view. its not like you are going to be comparing whether or not you are all seeing the same snow flakes.... =p

There is another post "like" this. i think it is a good thing to post your ideas even if similar ones have been posted before. the threads get buried and you have a different bent. the other is 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/49002-environmental-modifiers-a-rework-ii/

please do check it out. i might add the ideas here to the list on that one, if you don't mind. 

I would like to see planets reflect their logical weather conditions. Mercury is all ships.and asteroids (maybe under the Mercury surface) so none of this matters to it. 

Seems that the thread got a mention in the livestream :D

Thanks DE.

Pity you didn't address the idea of rain / thunderstorms etc, more on the idea of more environmental hazards...

I could just imagine playing on the Corpus Outpost maps in a thunderstorm. Just the mental image is amazing.

I wish I was good at Photoshop so I could put my mental image to a visual image.

Weather really adds another dimension to levels I absolutely agree. Anyone here play Skyrim and add the Wet & Cold mod and its related mods? Suddenly snow was really dangerous and you'd think twice about going out into snowstorms which would impede your sight and slow your movement. Weather mods on there really added to atmosphere and broke up the monotony a lot. The addition of breath mist was probably the best little addition I ever made to the game and its such a small detail!

The thing about other planets is they will have new and interesting weather. A settlement on Mars might get sandstorms for instance, or Mercury might have a damaged settlement where the sunlight itself goes unfiltered and can cause severe damage to you if you move through it. Something to think about.

Adding another idea to this wonderful thread. Sometimes with you are playing on a level, you will hear The Lotus say "This vessel is self-destructing, stay away from heat.". It would make sense if there were also random hull breaches or panels exploding. Also, if the vessel were self-destructing, wouldn't there be a reason for it to be self-destructing. Such as Corpus or Infested making their way onto a Grineer galleon?