Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rename Saryn's Abilities

NeoDarkSider

In game description:

Venom: Saryn tags the target with a highly toxic spore that does poison damage over time. Destroying the spore will trigger a viral infection to nearby enemies.

Contagion: Saryn channels high levels of toxicity into her melle weapon, transmitting disease and plague with each strike that connects with tagets.

Real definition:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/venom

Venom: A poisonous secretion of an animal, such as a snke, spider, or scorpion, usually transmitted by a bite or sting. A poison.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/contagion

Contagion: Disease transmission by direct or indirect contact. A disease that is or may be transmitted by direct or indirect contact: a contagious disease. The direct cause, such as a bacterium or virus, of a communicable disease.

I feel like the names of these two abilities should be switched to accurately represent what they do in game.

but venom kills over time.

while something that is contagious can kill instantly.

Err doesn't contagious just mean it's something that gets spread around? >_> And who says venom can't instantly kill people.

Err doesn't contagious just mean it's something that gets spread around? >_> And who says venom can't instantly kill people.

thats kinda what i meant. both things kinda work for it if you look at it differently. a contagious decease that kills or damages you quickly works for the skill too. just as a venom that does no damage initially but kills you eventually.

what im saying is the words arent so bound to what the OP is saying that they dont work for the skills in-game.

its all just wording. plus DE is not exactly great at naming things anyways. volt, rhino, frost, snipetron...... botlor......

Edited by MetalGerbil

thats kinda what i meant. both things kinda work for it if you look at it differently. a contagious decease that kills or damages you quickly works for the skill too. just as a venom that does no damage initially but kills you eventually.

what im saying is the words arent so bound to what the OP is saying that they dont work for the skills in-game.

its all just wording. plus DE is not exactly great at naming things anyways. volt, rhino, frost, snipetron...... botlor......

There's a difference between logic and wording.

Contagion is a venom, and Venom creates a contagion.

Shouldn't they be named after what they do?

I don't support this. Her abilitie's names are thematic, they don't need to be textbook definitions. Maybe some people like them as they are.

I fail to understand how not picking the correct word is thematic. It's not thematic when someone puts the wrong word in a sentence, even if you understand what's actually trying to be said there.

DE is wrong when they describe Saryn's skill. They're just wrong. Should they not fix this incorrect word like they correct any other error they might encounter? And what do you even gain? Both names would still be present, just for the other move, if the errors were fixed.

I don't support this. Her abilitie's names are thematic, they don't need to be textbook definitions. Maybe some people like them as they are.

^^ WORD.

Should Rhino's Iron Skin be renamed? You know iron is not the hardest and not the best metal for armor by far and can in fact be very brittle. (I don't see how he can still move around if his skin turns to iron anyways.)

Sonar is just a measurement or reflected sound waves and does not make any target more vulnerable to enemy fire, probably want to rename that one too.

I have noticed that when Excalibur uses his "Slash Dash" ability that his legs don't actually seem to move (can't really see his legs at all), should be called fast forward glide.

Tesla Grenades look nothing like a real Tesla coil, back to the name drawing board. And barricades are supposed to simply stop your target from moving forward, not suspend your target in mid air, gotta look at this one as well.

All sarcasm aside, do you see a theme here? The names of things are probably not meant to be taken literally. The "Gorgon" in this game looks nothing like a real life Gorgon, I know because I checked.  >.>

Things that are "contagious" (in this world anyways) can be killed or lived through most of the time, and even if you do die from it,.. if it takes days it will have worked very very fast. Most things that can be described as contagious (norovirus rhinovirus) rarely pose any threat to your life. Venom can (depending on the comparative size of the prey) work much faster then a disease, but is also usually delivered by a bite or sting of some kind. Would you have our Saryn frames leaping around biting mobs? One: on corpus levels you'd be biting metal, two: if you bite the infested you'll probably get sick.

I suggest you let the names slide (for now) as there are other problems and bugs (like not getting loot if the host gets the killing blow and falling through floors) that are far far far more relevant to game play then what anything in game is labeled as. And if you do want to get into literal names you are going to have to rename a lot more than just Saryn's abilities. Even if you are just looking at her what about miasma? Are you aware of the "miasma theory"? This is another ability does not accurately reflect the literal real life definition of what it is called.  O,O  If it did, the ability would just smell bad and would do 0 (zero) damage for four seconds, rather unimpressive for an ult.

Think of it this way, the "Venom" that she deploys is like a spitting cobra. With "Contagion" Saryn is actually coating her melee weapon with disease and acting as the disease vector to spread said disease. It actually makes sense the way it is already, the only thing that doesn't quite fit is venom's ability to spread, but if you consider that for venom to spread is must be burst from the bubble and contact other mobs it's not that bad. It simply must be a neurotoxic venom that can be absorbed through the skin. Remind me again why this works on robots at all?

Edited by Carcharias

In game description:

Venom: Saryn tags the target with a highly toxic spore that does poison damage over time. Destroying the spore will trigger a viral infection to nearby enemies.

Contagion: Saryn channels high levels of toxicity into her melle weapon, transmitting disease and plague with each strike that connects with tagets.

Real definition:

Venom: A poisonous secretion of an animal, such as a snke, spider, or scorpion, usually transmitted by a bite or sting. A poison.

Contagion: Disease transmission by direct or indirect contact. A disease that is or may be transmitted by direct or indirect contact: a contagious disease. The direct cause, such as a bacterium or virus, of a communicable disease.

I feel like the names of these two abilities should be switched to accurately represent what they do in game.

Viral has more than one meaning. It can mean disease caused by a virus, but in this context the word means the way in which it spreads. If something spreads virally, it means it spreads quickly. Similar to a YouTube video going "viral".

I fail to see your point with Contagion, even the part about toxicity is logically correct if we go by the dictionary definitions.

Conclusion; names are fine as they are. -1 for logic.

Yes I agree that most ability names are thematic and are appropriate. Like

in game:

Miasma: Through noxious exhalation, Saryn pollutes the atmosphere with a lethally poisonous mist that corrodes all enemies in range, effectively disintegrating organic and synthetic matter instantly.

real world:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/miasma

Miasma: noxious exhalations from putrescent organic matter; poisonous effluvia or germs polluting the atmosphere. A dangerous, foreboding, or deathlike influence or atmosphere.

With Miasma the theme works. With Venom vs Contagion. One is more geared toward being a toxin that spreads.

in game:

Venom: toxic spore that transmits

Contagion: toxicity, disease, plague put on your weapon to infect your enemy.

Real world:

Venom: Poison, You put poison on you weapon to infect your enemy. i.e Venom coated arrows, daggers, swords...

Contagion: Disease, Batercia transmitted

Yes toxic and toxicity can be used to describe venom, poison, disease...

Robots may be affected if they are made with some organic synthetic parts.

And it doesn't take a programmer much time to switch the names. So no lost time here.

TL: DR Whether DE changes this or not its up to them but this is not a thematic issue its two words that would more accurately represent what the other does. It does no harm to change it. Leaving it the way it is will only confuse a few players before they read the ability description and think "Hey should this be the other way around." Contagion is more accurately defined as a toxin that TRANSMITS. If you don't understand the difference, I can't help you.

Should Rhino's Iron Skin be renamed? You know iron is not the hardest and not the best metal for armor by far and can in fact be very brittle. (I don't see how he can still move around if his skin turns to iron anyways.)

Sonar is just a measurement or reflected sound waves and does not make any target more vulnerable to enemy fire, probably want to rename that one too.

I have noticed that when Excalibur uses his "Slash Dash" ability that his legs don't actually seem to move (can't really see his legs at all), should be called fast forward glide.

Tesla Grenades look nothing like a real Tesla coil, back to the name drawing board. And barricades are supposed to simply stop your target from moving forward, not suspend your target in mid air, gotta look at this one as well.

Fallacious examples.

It would be more like renaming Rhino Stomp, "Iron Skin," and renaming Iron Skin, "Radial Blast."

It would be more like renaming Sonar, "Sound Quake," and renaming Sound Quake, "Silence."

It would be more like renaming Slash Dash, "Super Jump," and renaming Radial Javelin, "Radial Blind."

It would be more like renaming Tesla, "Vortex," and renaming Bastille, "Bounce Pad."

In game description:

Real definition:

good logic. but remember this is a game. so game logic and real life logic, don't always coincide. for the part you mentioned on venom, while true "usually" transmitted by bite or sting, but some cobras can spit their poison at targets/prey.

contagion is just fine the way it is. for all we know, saryn is probably the type of warframe that houses many types of poisons/venoms or any such combinations of bacteria/virus to cause such a reaction as a contagion... while it only infects via melee weapons and the affected target doesnt spread that contagion well....yeah....they should fix this skill more....

you dont have to break apart both definitions... just understand what the word means in context. i think its a good idea, obviously something feasible

if its contagious, other peeps are gonna get it.

and one puts venom on melee weapons, typically.

+1 to OP

I have to agree with OP on this - I hate when logic like this falls through when it comes to naming things. It only makes sense to swap them - to keep them as-is would be anarchy! (sarcasm not intended here - I'm a serious person right now)