June 26Th: Community Hot Topics

[DE]Rebecca

1. Events: Past and Present…

Thanks to all those who joined this past weekend’s event! We’ve got tons of feedback on it, and are happily moving forward with this in mind for our next event…. More on that next week, *wink wink* *nudge nudge* :D!

2. Update 8 Related Work? Results!?

Update 8 laid the groundwork of the Dojo system, improvements are coming.  Steve’s May 30th post is still very much relevant. The list he made was long and inclusive of the teams efforts. We hope to deploy the changes and fixes once they have been properly tested. See here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/55421-update-8-related-work/

3. A month of: RNG, etc.

Looking back at these hot topics, it’s clear what remains one of the “hottest” of all: RNG. I have some updates on that front, specifically about our Alert System.  

Alert System Improvements!

Dilution is indeed the issue. Rest assured that nothing has been removed from the pool, despite many rumors otherwise. The team has put together a new system (as well as simulated 2 years of the script to see results).  What we are striving for is a balance of what is fair for free and paying players.  RNG as RNG won’t cut it anymore, because “famines” can happen, which is obviously not fair.

What we want to stand behind is a system that guarantees every item *will* drop. Our current system is  random and only guarantees that every item *could* drop. This is a very simplistic version of the goal, but worth sharing to keep everyone in the loop.

4. Quest-able content!

This is a proposal we’re working on, it may not see the light of day, but it’s worth sharing. The idea is that instead of people waiting to get Alert rewards by chance (given feedback that: I don’t even need to play your game to get X, I just need to watch Twitter), we want to add a reward system for playing alerts in general. Doesn’t matter what alerts, but the more you play, the more likely the Lotus is to notice your contributions to the Tenno cause. She may just call on you for a special Quest, with a variety of rewards….

5. The “Great Warframe Buff”!

Yes, Scott submitted a “check-in” with this (Great Warframe Buff) as the title (for those of you who may not know, when a Warframe developer submits work it’s called a check-in). On this list was Mag, Volt, and Rhino. When this is deployed to our players, we will have concise areas to provide specific feedback on the changes we’ve made to improve the Warframes. More to come with this as the team makes more progress!

6. But what about the bugs?

A lot of posts emphasize the sentiment “why add new content if you have broken things?” And the current answer to this is balancing excitement and new content with reviews and repair.  A lot of things (namely level issues) prevent a lot of players from completing missions or smoothly playing Warframe. We hope to fix many of these issues with Update 9 and will always continue responding to and fixing bugs.

7. Steam Trading Cards?

This is a Steam program that Warframe had a chance to participate in. It is only available to Steam players, and we must follow all the Steam rules for this. Discussion and information can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/230410/discussions/0/864971765248742111

Be sure to review our past weeks hot topics as well, some items are still relevant: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/67413-june-20th-community-hot-topics/

4. Quest-able content!

This is a proposal we’re working on, it may not see the light of day, but it’s worth sharing. The idea is that instead of people waiting to get Alert rewards by chance (given feedback that: I don’t even need to play your game to get X, I just need to watch Twitter), we want to add a reward system for playing alerts in general. Doesn’t matter what alerts, but the more you play, the more likely the Lotus is to notice your contributions to the Tenno cause. She may just call on you for a special Quest, with a variety of rewards….

I like how this sounds

I don't want to pollute the topic for debate trading cards but I have not found the answer to my question :

Is it will be possible in the future to have the trading cards without buying through Steam Wallet? I became founder when there was not this method of payment and I would really like to have these small rewards.

Thanks in advance for your reply :)

Otherwise thank you for these answers !

Edited by Seldszar

1. Events: Past and Present…

Thanks to all those who joined this past weekend’s event! We’ve got tons of feedback on it, and are happily moving forward with this in mind for our next event…. More on that next week, *wink wink* *nudge nudge* :D!

2. Update 8 Related Work? Results!?

Update 8 laid the groundwork of the Dojo system, improvements are coming.  Steve’s May 30th post is still very much relevant. The list he made was long and inclusive of the teams efforts. We hope to deploy the changes and fixes once they have been properly tested. See here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/55421-update-8-related-work/

3. A month of: RNG, etc.

Looking back at these hot topics, it’s clear what remains one of the “hottest” of all: RNG. I have some updates on that front, specifically about our Alert System.  

Dilution is indeed the issue. Rest assured that nothing has been removed from the pool, despite many rumors otherwise. The team has put together a new system (as well as simulated 2 years of the script to see results).  What we are striving for is a balance of what is fair for free and paying players.  RNG as RNG won’t cut it anymore, because “famines” can happen, which is obviously not fair.

What we want to stand behind is a system that guarantees every item *will* drop. Our current system is  random and only guarantees that every item *could* drop. This is a very simplistic version of the goal, but worth sharing to keep everyone in the loop.

4. Quest-able content!

Yes, Scott submitted a “check-in” with this (Great Warframe Buff) as the title (for those of you who may not know, when a Warframe developer submits work it’s called a check-in). On this list was Mag, Volt, and Rhino. When this is deployed to our players, we will have concise areas to provide specific feedback on the changes we’ve made to improve the Warframes. More to come with this as the team makes more progress!

6. But what about the bugs?

A lot of posts emphasize the sentiment “why add new content if you have broken things?” And the current answer to this is balancing excitement and new content with reviews and repair.  A lot of things (namely level issues) prevent a lot of players from completing missions or smoothly playing Warframe. We hope to fix many of these issues with Update 9 and will always continue responding to and fixing bugs.

7. Steam Trading Cards?

This is a Steam program that Warframe had a chance to participate in. It is only available to Steam players, and we must follow all the Steam rules for this. Discussion and information can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/230410/discussions/0/864971765248742111

Be sure to review our past weeks hot topics as well, some items are still relevant: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/67413-june-20th-community-hot-topics/

Gratitude, Lotus. Fantastic news as always. The continual community inclusion is so much appreciated. 

Edited by RawGritz

Let this happen as fast as possible, cant wait!!

I don't want to pollute the topic for debate trading cards but I have not found the answer to my question :

Is it will be possible in the future to have the trading cards without buying through Steam Wallet? I became founder when there was not this method of payment and I would really like to have these small rewards.

Thanks in advance for your reply :)

Otherwise thank you for these answers

Currently, this is the clarification we have on the cards (from Steam forums, thanks to our team for putting this together):

Only purchases made via the Steam Wallet are eligible to unlock trading card drops. If you made a purchase of any amount via Steam Wallet before today, you are grandfathered in as a “paying user” by Steam and you get 4 card drops. If you haven’t spent money via Steam Wallet prior to today then you are not currently eligible for a card drop.

Going forward, for every $9 that you spend on Warframe via Steam Wallet you will be eligible for one card drop.

This is a Steam initiative that we’re participating in and they are in complete control of how card drops are earned.

Currently, players can exist in one of two categories:

Website Account: you made your account on www.warframe.com with no registration through Steam.

Steam Account: you made your account through stream.

If you have Website Account, you now have the option to buy Platinum at www.warframe.com/buyplatinum with Ultimate Pay or your Steam Wallet if you have launched the game through Steam. www.warframe.com/founders is only eligible through Ultimate Pay at this time.

If you have a Steam Account, Steam Wallet is your only option.

Hope this helps a bit!

If you have Website Account, you now have the option to buy Platinum at www.warframe.com/platinum with Ultimate Pay or your Steam Wallet if you have launched the game through Steam. www.warframe.com/founders is only eligible through Ultimate Pay at this time.

The bolded link should be www.warframe.com/buyplatinum or else it sends you to an error page. :o

So, about those "developer hot topics" topics you mentioned a couple weeks ago...

Yup! Still trying to find a way to make them distinct enough, I feel these Community Hot Topics have semi-melded into a combination of their work and our concerns. There is definitely room for this additional area, and the team of Community Mods have suggested some great things too.

That's a pretty silly update name, if not brutally to the point :3

Wait, check-in != update -_- I fail.

4. Quest-able content!

That's a pretty bad potato and forma famine indeed then @_@ Though I'm very much enjoying the lack of impulsive twitter-checking. Makes the gaming experience that much more... well, actually about the game.

Alert rewards based on actually doing alerts? Hooray!

Edited by Gestalt

Well, can't say I'm not disappointed about the whole "Over 50% of the Paying Players in Warframe that use steam on a daily basis will not get card drops", but I'm glad you dished out a quick response to reassure everyone. It got pretty hectic.

Thanks for all of the updates, Rebecca!

Yup! Still trying to find a way to make them distinct enough, I feel these Community Hot Topics have semi-melded into a combination of their work and our concerns. There is definitely room for this additional area, and the team of Community Mods have suggested some great things too.

Yeah, as a matter of fact, I only remembered because of that "check-in" system you alluded to—It seems like if there were developer-specific topics there would be tons of redundancy. In the past, Steve has talked about trying to maintain an "open kimono" policy, but at the same time, letting us know everything would be way too much. http://playstarbound.com/'>These guys are probably a great example of what "too much" (to reasonably expect) looks like.

I'm curious about what sort of things the Com. Mods have come up with. It might be cool if we could know how many check-ins, or code commits were submitted or something. (In my head, making an API to easily spit that information someplace is easy, but I honestly have no idea if that's even possible.) No specifics, just mysterious numbers to entice the imagination. You can also invite some of the devs to talk about what they spent hours doing that day. (Unless you want to take spontaneous at-desk interviews and transcribe them yourself.) At any rate, posts about workflow at DE and things of that nature would be fascinating, especially since you guys are in such a unique position to start with.

Any news on when we will get all that good stuff ? I'm really eager to start building my clan with my friends, but without the ressource adjustment, it simply won't be possible until the patch.

I remember hearing by the end of June on the stream... am I right or simply a tad crazy ?

Thanks for the answers, the forums here and the community interraction, I appreciate it (Even if I'm mostly reading).

Edited by Kupos

Yeah, as a matter of fact, I only remembered because of that "check-in" system you alluded to—It seems like if there were developer-specific topics there would be tons of redundancy. In the past, Steve has talked about trying to maintain an "open kimono" policy, but at the same time, letting us know everything would be way too much. These guys are probably a great example of what "too much" (to reasonably expect) looks like.

I'm curious about what sort of things the Com. Mods have come up with. It might be cool if we could know how many check-ins, or code commits were submitted or something. (In my head, making an API to easily spit that information someplace is easy, but I honestly have no idea if that's even possible.) No specifics, just mysterious numbers to entice the imagination. You can also invite some of the devs to talk about what they spent hours doing that day. (Unless you want to take spontaneous at-desk interviews and transcribe them yourself.) At any rate, posts about workflow at DE and things of that nature would be fascinating, especially since you guys are in such a unique position to start with.

It's clear that the vast majority of the community would be delighted to know about what Scott's beard and Steve's shorts were up to on a specific day at the workplace, were always left with these minute portions of delictable knowledge that will affect Warframes future enjoyability. Many would like to know about the little things as those who are in the end-game of Warframe ponder what updates will bring like the "Grappling hook" or the new possibility of Modifacts? Artifacts that use mod slots in a unique way?

I am personally all for the idea of DE letting tidbits of Information slide out through these "Check-Ins" and more mentions of colored shorts and what not.