Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Archive] Of Ash And Fire - Original Thread

SirNerdsAlot5

EDIT:

Use this thread to play in for now as the story is being seperated. This thread will change into an OOC discussion when the story threads are separated out, however.

Please try and keep OOC posts to a minimum during this transition!

-SilverBones

--------------------------------------

you sdhould've called it: Of Ash and Ember, just to be punny :)

Edited by SilverBones
Edited the new first post to explain.

you sdhould've called it: Of Ash and Ember, just to be punny :)

I am not sure I am actually going to bring in an Ember... besides, I don't want people to think it is a SlashFic!

Sir, that was awesome.

Thank you! I pretty much slapped it together in a lunch, so it needs editing more than anything. I will probably add more to it later...

I dont get these, why are these suddenly being posted.. i just saw another one of these (not the same of course)

I just wanna now if there is some kinda event or something?!

Not at all... I just like writing fan-fiction. If you look at the Fan-Index (the stickied thread) you will see lots of us like putting our writing skills to use.

It's just for fun, sir!

Dude. Both of you 2 should get together and write a book of stories. 1 Story for each Tenno that last like 10-20 pages. Sell it for 15$ and be awesome. I aspire to write that good I really do want to grow up and be an author so I might take a swing at maybe, Volt or Saryn?

-SNIP-

Excellent work sir!

You should probably move this to it's own thread though. You should get the praise you deserve without it being diluted by my literary vomit.

You know what? Screw it! Let's do a thread for all of us to write a story about how we see our Tenno!

I welcome anyone to post one as well!

Edited by SilverBones

o_o Reading these want me to write something of my own. What do you guys do for inspiration?

For me it doesnt take much, never has really.

You really should write your own, in all honesty. Its fun to create, especially when you are creating something for which there isnt much story to begin with. Its not really Fan Fiction at this point.....At least i dont think of it as such.

Excellent work sir!

You should probably move this to it's own thread though. You should get the praise you deserve without it being diluted by my literary vomit.

You know what? Screw it! Let's do a thread for all of us to write a story about how we see our Tenno!

I welcome anyone to post one as well!

Agreed...And thank you, but your work is far from Literary Vomit. I don't get inspired to write from anything less than Awesome. :)

*snip*

You damn right you will continue. How dare you....How dare you devise such an entertaining and engaging story, then stop it? THE NERVE!

There were two options here, Write a S#&$ty story, or Finish an awesome one. You failed at both! You started an extremely good story....and now we have to wait? YOU FIEND! ....Ok, Done with that. Sorry....Had to Vent a bit ;)

(Awesome story, by the way, Very much looking forward to the rest of it)

Something confuses me. You are pretty good, Not the best thats posted here, but really good. That being said, I cant understand why your stories are so compelling. This last one was pretty boring, nothing much happened....Yet i was glued to the screen for the whole thing. I've literally killed thousands of Crewmen, and never thought a thing about it. Your story made me wonder how many of those actually had a personality instead of circuitry. Im really not sure how you do it, but im starting to think you could write a story about Tenno Toe Fungus and make it enjoyable.

Carry on, good sir. You are apparently made of nothing but Awesome and Win.

Edited by Aigloblam

Something confuses me. You are pretty good, Not the best thats posted here, but really good. That being said, I cant understand why your stories are so compelling. This last one was pretty boring, nothing much happened....Yet i was glued to the screen for the whole thing. I've literally killed thousands of Crewmen, and never thought a thing about it. Your story made me wonder how many of those actually had a personality instead of circuitry. Im really not sure how you do it, but im starting to think you could write a story about Tenno Toe Fungus and make it enjoyable.

Carry on, good sir. You are apparently made of nothing but Awesome and Win.

I second this motion, as well as third, fourth and fifth it.

Quick question for all you fanfic writers - any tips/advice for someone who generally has trouble staying organized and following a plot? It's been a long time since I've written anything longer than a one-shot.

write an outline of everything you are going for. Which character will do this, who acts like that, what have you done already. WHen you write it down, ironically, it makes it easier to keep track of.

I am Loki.

I am alone.

But I am not lonely. I walk a lonely path, full of darkness and death. I am a god of the battle field, but I am not evil. I defend my friends, trick my enemies. I fulfill my orders. I am Loki.

The anthem thundered in my head as the ship approached. The anthem of the Loki, the select few who were gifted with the ability to control the battle field, not through strength, but through cunning, trickery. Like the god of old, I stood alone, feared and hated by my own family, my own clan.

I would redeem myself for my failure, for my lack of attention. I would prove myself an asset, a help to the clan.

The fighter shuddered, clanked, then stilled. I was at the ship. The door opened, folding outward, then sliding inward, silent on it's servos. I dropped, twisted, landed in a deep crouch. It was dark, humid, a point of light visible in the distance. A service tunnel, doubtlessly to the reactor core.

I turned toward my ship, mentally sent the command to detach. There was a hiss as the vacuum of space roared inward, the air sucked from around me. I ignored it, and detached the bow on my back, sliding an arrow from the quiver smoothly. The head glowed dimly, filling the tunnel with white light. I knew it was filled with pure energy, capable of melting through the thickest armor in milliseconds.

The tunnel was long, but I traversed it quickly. It was not for nothing that I wore the frame of a racer, of a runner. There was a fan, spinning slowly, on standby mode. I carefully drew the dagger from my back, glowing with the red heat of the liquid fire contained inside, and inserted it into the edge of the fan. The fan blades hit it, and ground to a halt. I ducked forward, moving through the small gap in the blades, careful to not let the quiver knock against them and make a single sound. 

The room within was dark, the only light from the glow of the river of slag below. I knew it flowed to the smelter, where it was poured to great the thousands of Grakatas the Grineer army required. It was not my concern. I withdrew the dagger, noticing how similar the slots in the blade were to the river below. I shook myself. It was a lapse in attention that led to my dishonor. I would not repeat my mistake.

I sheathed it on my back, and continued. The stairs to the left were empty, so I descended them. I was here for one reason. I would not be shaken from my path. The walk way curved to the right, then blossomed around a pillar. I ignored the panel mounted on it, and continued on, curving to the left and approaching a door.

My helmet HUD sent out a pulse, detected several life forms beyond the door. I nodded. It was a foolish hope to be able to approach her completely undetected. I sent the mental command to my armor, and instantly vanished. I knew my energy systems would hold only for a limited time. The door opened, and I rushed past, barely seeing the five Grineer Lancers in front of me, focused on the one I knew was the largest threat.

My dagger leaped into my hand, as eager to redeem itself as I was. The woman in front of me was a monstrosity, standing nearly three feet above my own head on her robotic legs. The Gorgon cradled in her arms would tear my armor to shreds in seconds.

Unless I tore her own.

My jumped, my feet precisely placed, pounding the small of her back and knocking her forward. She suspected nothing, and pitched head first to the floor, the Gorgon, held loosely, clattering away. The blade in my hand bit deep, penetrating her armor like it was rice paper, and severing the life giving flow of blood in her neck. She convulsed under me, then stilled with barely a sound.

The Lancers stared. Here was their heaviest unit, their first line of offense, laying dead on the ground, felled with out a sign. They were stunned, scared. I knew they wouldn't remain that way. I left the dagger in the neck, rose to my feet, and drew back my right arm. The Glaive on my wrist moved, seemingly of it's on violation, spinning and clicking as the blades extended. I whipped my arm forward, released.

The blade pinwheeled, nearly in slow motion. Then it impacted, ripping the Lancer's head off and ricocheting to the walls, bouncing back and taking off the knees of the Grineer. The others now switched their gaze, still unable to comprehend what had happened. I reminded them.

The arrow slammed into the lead one's chest, penetrating his heart, and killing him instantly. His corpse fell backwards, slamming into the one behind him, knocking him to the floor. Another arrow followed, hissing into the one in the rear's head, and pinning it to the metal wall behind him. He slumped, held in place by the lethal instrument through his skull.

The last Lancer now realized what was happening, and wheeled, heading for the panel nearby, doubtlessly to raise the alarm. The quiver on my back whirred, crafting new arrows for me to fire, but it wouldn't finish in time. The dagger was my last chance. I reached for it, dropping the Paris in my hand, and grasped it, wrenching it loose. The Grineer was nearly at the panel.

My hand raised, marked the Grineer, and then the room flashed. I stood in front of the panel, the Grineer behind me tripping over the corpse of the gunner and falling, flailing, to the ground. He had not suspected the teleport, and suspected even less to suddenly be atop the corpse of his commander.

The dagger flashed, released from my hand at the peak of it's movement, sailing across the room. The Grineer staggered, clutched at the hilt protruding from his chest, then fell, laying across the first victim of my rampage.

I raised a hand, activated the magnetic generators on my wrists. The Glaive vibrated, then spun into my hand, the blades retracted. I reattached it to my chest, already striding toward the small pile of corpses where my dagger and bow lay. The Lex on my hip was heavy, but not needed now. I shunned the noise it caused, preferring the silence and shadows of my Paris.

The dagger was already burning a hole around itself, searing off the traces of blood and gore on it. The bow was undamaged, the ceramics and metal used in it's creation able to withstand enormous amounts of force and damage. The quiver on my back clicked once, then fell silent, it's bounty of death refilled.

The elevator ahead was my target. The room was clear, according to my HUD, and I knew I wouldn't have to engage in open combat again soon. Gunners were rare, usually deployed in high risk areas or cross roads, not in every room.

The next room was nearly empty, with only a single Marine in it, his Strun held lazily. I ignored him and continued on, feeling the micro fusion reactor in the small of my back already refilling my energy supply.

The next room was large, fully capable of holding several full squads. It was a drop off point for the ship's cargo train, on the floor below. The rails were where I needed to be. A single Lancer was below, doubtlessly half asleep like the rest of his brethren. I approached the railing, smiling beneath my helmet. His back was turned, and his head Grakata was pointed at the ground. My wrist drew back, the Glaive snapped into my palm, and his life was ended with a single throw.

I vaulted the railing, stepping over the corpse now on the platform. The rails led to the prisoner holding, where I needed to be. The cars were parked, unneeded in the dead of “Night,” on the ship. I dropped to the rails themselves, and checked the marker I had set myself. It pointed right. I sheathed my Glaive, then broke into a sprint, quickly traveling the distance to the pure darkness beyond.

My helmet compensated, brightening shadows, allowing me to see. The tunnel was long, and took me nearly five minutes to full traverse. The woman I came for would be unable to maintain the same pace. I would have to find a way...

I was at my destination. The rail way led into an empty room, the hub near the space port of the ship. I knew they kept the prisoners nearby, to allow them easy access to prison when they brought in more.

The room was not empty, with several Lancers and Marines patrolling it. Most of them were around the panels on either side, the main hubs of traffic in the ship, but one was on the platform it self. I mentally activated my armor again, felt myself fade from view, and approached him. He was bored, clearly half asleep. He suspected nothing. I leaped upward, drawing my dagger, and buried it in his neck, dragging him off the platform.

He lay on the rails, dead without a sound. I dragged him into the shadows under the car parked on the track. He would be hidden for now. Turning my attention to the map on my helmet, I found the prison very close, only a single door away. I vaulted the edging on the track, and started up the stairs. The nearest contact was nearly fifty feet away, and I didn't bother with concealing myself.

The door hissed open on the prison, and the sensors in my helmet instantly painted the cell I needed. It was on the floor below, facing the control room in the middle, where the jailer sit. She was a Scorpion, favored by the Grineer for prison duty. The machete on her back was a dangerous weapon, able to sever an arm easily, but also cause deep bruises.

She had her back to me, and I drew an arrow, nocked it silently, and centered it on her. The arrow flew true, pinning her head to the screen in front of her, and doubtlessly killing her. I dropped down, replaced the Paris on my back, and reached to my belt, where I removed the cipher I had brought with me. The machine would hack the door open far faster than I could.

The ports fit perfectly, and the door hissed open. A blur leaped at me, a fist already drawing back. I expected thus, and ducked, flipping the Banshee wearing Tenno over my shoulder. She twisted, landed on her feet, then stopped. Her alert stance drooped, and she simply nodded at me. I knew she didn't fully trust me, even now. It was, after all, my fault she was captured. If only I had been stronger, if only I hadn't faltered, if only I had been able to protect the pod for longer, instead of allowing the Lotus to recall me.

The Grineer had captured the pod, awoken her, and stuffed her in a cell, like an animal, to study later. She had been partially awake in the pod, aware I had failed in my duty, and doubtlessly thought me weak for it. I drew the Paris from my back, extending it towards her. I knew Banshees preferred the weapon.

She cocked her head, then took the bow, drawing it to test out it's strength as I unslung the quiver on my back. She accepted it, slinging it over her own shoulder. Her grip was easy, familiar. I had crafted the weapon from her pod, after I had awoken in the chasm below it. The climb upward had been difficult, to say the least.

She looked at me now with a new tilt to her head, and she nodded once. We turned to the stairs and climbed them, her in the lead, the bow prepared and ready. The door above hissed open, and revealed four Lancers. They must have discovered the missing patrol, and weren't as drowsy as they seemed. Two leaped forward, Graktas barking, as the others turned and sprinted for the alarm panel, already shouting an alarm to those below.

In seconds, a siren wailed throughout the entire galleon, and I knew we would have to fight. I focused, vanished from sight, and dug in, sprinting full out. The Banshee was already drawing the Paris as I hit the Grineer on the left. My dagger penetrated it's chest armor as the Glaive in my right hand removed it's head from it's shoulders. The arrow from the bow knocked the second one aside, and I sheathed my Glaive, drawing my Lex.

The Banshee jumped over me, already nocking another arrow with skill and speed I couldn't replicate. The bow jumped, and another Grineer fell. I vaulted the rail in front, and raised my pistol. The Lex sang it's lethal song, and another fell, a bloody mess where his face should be. A enormous boom shook the room as the Banshee focused the sound of the shot into a wave, knocking a dozen Lancers off their feet.

I signaled for my ship, even as my cloak ran out of energy, and sprinted for the hanger controls. A Napalm greeted me, it's lethal flame cannon firing. I dove to the side, rolling, feeling the heat of the blast flaring against my shields, penetrating, burning my leg. A direct hit would destroy me. I heard the blast again, and leaped forward, sliding on my chest, between the Napalm's legs.

I pushed myself up, the dagger flickering with a lethal heat enough to rival the Napalm's own, and lunged. The blade easily penetrated the armor of the Grineer, stabbing downward into it's shoulder and causing it to drop it's weapon. An arrow sprouted from its forehead, and it staggered back as I clung to it's back. The Lex in my right hand was pressed against it's temple. The lethal song sang once more, and the Grineer fell, it's head half blown off.

I leaped backward, skidding across the floor, my leg giving way, the Lex skittering away. The panel was nearby, and my ship awaited outside the hanger doors. I pushed myself up, waving the Banshee off as she ran to aid me. I slapped the panel, the computer in my armor hacking the system and opening the doors. The Banshee ran for it, then stopped just in front. I was wounded, my leg seared, barely able to support my weight. I would never make it to the ship in time.

I looked at the Banshee, saw the indecision in her stance. I raised a hand, pointed at her, then waved at the ship. I knew I was doomed. I broke the silence I had carried since I joined the Tenno, shouting out “Go! Save yourself!” She flinched at my voice. She knew a Tenno would never speak unless they knew it didn't matter who heard them. She slowly turned, as my ship swooped in, it's doors opening. She stepped inside, and I keyed the hard reset, passing the ship onto her. It flew out, heading into the darkness of space. Safe.

The Grineer swarmed around me. I could see Lancers, Marines, at least four gunners. Blades of machetes and cleavers flickered among the crowd. Flames on the tips of Scorch's barrels filled the crowd with light. I stood, ignoring the pain in my leg, and faced them, a god of the battle field no longer. As they closed in and I drew my dagger one last time, I knew.

My honor was restored. I am Loki, a god, no more.

End.

Figured it was too long of a story to just have out and about on the thread. This is a short story I wrote on a whim to enter a contest. Thought it might fit well here.