Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"I am Excalibur." - The final story (for now!)

SilverBones

Inspired by this:

warframe_alpha_intro3892_thumb.jpg

I am Excalibur.

I wait. The doors to the hangar I meditate in have been locked for the past hour. The Grineer outside have been attempting to breach the doors, but they are cautious. They have just stepped over the severed corpses of their brothers after all.

Clarity. Vision. Both of these things circle in my mind in an endless balance. The room around me is bare to my senses – and through the subtle vibrations through my Warframe’s shins - I sense the blade resting in the ground not a yard away from me. We are one, my blade and I. When it is in my hand, it fills me with a secure comfort and grants me focus.

Like the first of the Tenno, the burden of choice lays on my shoulders.

Behind me, the doors open and I feel the footsteps of four Grineer approaching me. Their weapons are raised, but they are puzzled as to why I have not moved, kneeling in my meditative state; my hands resting softly on my knees. They do not know I have been buying time for my comrades to escape.

Sacrifice. Bravery. The final gift any warrior can give and the method in which to give it. I know my extraction is hours away and many more Grineer move towards my position, but I am not afraid. My conviction is the iron in my will and the cutting edge of my Skana.

They advance on me, ready to execute me on the spot, but I am ready.

In a blur of motion, I stand and draw my blade from the floor. It rings in my hands and with my first stroke my attackers are showered in a blinding flash of light and the remains of one of their own. The battle is brief but deadly. When it ends, I have another bullet hole in my stomach, but my four aggressors lay dead at my feet. More will come, for it is their traitorous pride which guides them. Silently, I move to the control panel and I seal the door again.

It will not take an hour for them to unlock it this time.

Death. Certainty. Perhaps it will be my final gift to my people, but I am but one in a force of untold Tenno. As I fall, more of my kind rise up, answering the call of the Lotus and readying their blades for battle. It is a knowledge that comforts me.

I return to my kneeling position and try to relax my heart rate to slow the loss of blood.

I am the final say in my destiny; the general at the front of the charge and last, triumphant warrior on the battlefield. I am victorious in death as I have been in life. I am proud and strong, even as my breath leaves me. I am finality itself.

I am Excalibur.

Edited by SilverBones

This is less like a normal 'I Am' and more like a short story about what thes Excalibur frame is going through. But still well worded as always. :)

I think because this "I am..." has a scene it is set around. Perhaps if I had not written it with that in mind, it may be a touch more internal, but I wanted to portray a sense of self-sacrifice and bravery. It's hard to do that without a described reason.

I think because this "I am..." has a scene it is set around. Perhaps if I had not written it with that in mind, it may be a touch more internal, but I wanted to portray a sense of self-sacrifice and bravery. It's hard to do that without a described reason.

I can see your reasoning, but I can't help but feel like becuase you chose such a limited setting you didn't get the chance explore more facets of his what Excalibur's personallity.

I can see your reasoning, but I can't help but feel like becuase you chose such a limited setting you didn't get the chance explore more facets of his what Excalibur's personallity.

I'd say thats a fair comment. I don't think it is my best work, but I like the direction it went in. As a writer I am always trying to grow and experiment, and sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't. Still, with artistic integrity, I like how this one felt to write. Granted, it may not be like the others, but I don't think it is terribly lacking in depth :)

The doors to the hanger I meditate in have been locked for the past hour. The Grineer outside have been attempting to breach the doors, but they are cautious. They have just stepped over the severed corpses of their brothers after all.

Typo... I think. Just wanted to point that out, and kudos on the post. Really cool.

Typo... I think. Just wanted to point that out, and kudos on the post. Really cool.

You are correct sir. Edited!

For all those who ask why, a Breech is the open part of a gun barrel where bullets are loaded. Breach is to break in or to illegally violate some form of constant.

Good catch! Editing!

Also, have you ever been caught by heavy grineer in later levels? They will mess you up, shields or not :)

Absolutely, but it's clear that he's in a protective bubble (mag shield maybe?) in that pic - hence the watery/green texture over the pic, and why it moves/fluctuates on the loading screen. The Excal must be perfectly safe ;)

Nah, but really - excellent writing as usual, was a pleasure to read, made me think of some real heroics, good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...