Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Sound Issues

[DE]George

Hey everyone,

I don't think we've been formally introduced... so here goes: I am the lead sound designer on Warframe here at D.E.  My team and I are obsessed with sound design and our goal is to provide you all with an immersive and entertaining sound experience in the game.

We take weapon sounds very seriously (we believe they are some of the most important sounds in the game) and we do in fact, agonize over them.  If you were to walk by any one of the sound offices on a given day you'd probably hear [insert weapon name] on loop for hours on end as we tweak and fine tune the sound.

We recently starting using a new method of implementing weapon sounds into the game.  This method involves layering sounds in for each weapon, instead of simply playing one sound for each weapon.  This new method is far superior to previous ways of implementation.  However, we also recently discovered a pretty nasty bug that will sometimes "drop" parts of the weapon sound when you are playing the game.  This is exacerbated on systems with lower frame rates.  

So, a lot of what some of you are hearing with regards to "popcorn" or "weak" or "enemy weapons sound better" is due in large part to this issue.

Part of the fun of making games is trying new things.  But sometimes it gets worse before it gets better because of unforseen issues on certain PC setups.

We are working on a fix.  It may take some time for us to get it all worked out but I truly believe that once you guys can hear how amazing these new sounds are you will be glad we pushed through it. 

Thanks once again for the feedback and caring so much about the sound of the game.  We want to make the sound experience the best it can be and in order to push boundaries sometimes things break.  We will get it worked out.

Thanks,

DE_George.

Thanks for the introduction and clarifications George. Admittedly I'm a very OC audiophile (FLAC and 24/192 music YEEEEAAHHHH) so I'm very passionate about the sounds in the game, apologies if my posts in the other threads came off as harsh.

It's a relief to know that the "weaker" weapon sounds we have now are actually bugs rather than a change in sound design direction to make them sound subdued and less awesome, which is what I feared before you posted this.

Hoping you can get these bugs sorted out soon.

Thanks for the introduction and clarifications George. Admittedly I'm a very OC audiophile (FLAC and 24/192 music YEEEEAAHHHH) so I'm very passionate about the sounds in the game, apologies if my posts in the other threads came off as harsh.

It's a relief to know that the "weaker" weapon sounds we have now are actually bugs rather than a change in sound design direction to make them sound subdued and less awesome, which is what I feared before you posted this.

Hoping you can get these bugs sorted out soon.

Tulz, have you been stalking me? 2 posts in 2 threads, right after mine xD

Hey everyone,

I don't think we've been formally introduced... so here goes: I am the lead sound designer on Warframe here at D.E.  My team and I are obsessed with sound design and our goal is to provide you all with an immersive and entertaining sound experience in the game.

We take weapon sounds very seriously (we believe they are some of the most important sounds in the game) and we do in fact, agonize over them.  If you were to walk by any one of the sound offices on a given day you'd probably hear [insert weapon name] on loop for hours on end as we tweak and fine tune the sound.

We recently starting using a new method of implementing weapon sounds into the game.  This method involves layering sounds in for each weapon, instead of simply playing one sound for each weapon.  This new method is far superior to previous ways of implementation.  However, we also recently discovered a pretty nasty bug that will sometimes "drop" parts of the weapon sound when you are playing the game.  This is exacerbated on systems with lower frame rates.  

So, a lot of what some of you are hearing with regards to "popcorn" or "weak" or "enemy weapons sound better" is due in large part to this issue.

Part of the fun of making games is trying new things.  But sometimes it gets worse before it gets better because of unforseen issues on certain PC setups.

We are working on a fix.  It may take some time for us to get it all worked out but I truly believe that once you guys can hear how amazing these new sounds are you will be glad we pushed through it. 

Thanks once again for the feedback and caring so much about the sound of the game.  We want to make the sound experience the best it can be and in order to push boundaries sometimes things break.  We will get it worked out.

Thanks,

DE_George.

Don't worry DE_George, we will be patiently waiting for the fix. We have faith in you, don't ever disappoint us!

Thankyou very much for posting this George. I have been pretty annoyed about the viper sound effect since it was changed a while back so it's nice to hear this was due to bug and not form some miss guided attempt to make unique sounding weapons.

But until the bug is fixed do you mind sharing with us what some weapons, like the viper, should sound like?

Thank you so much for the explanation.
That's exactly what I came over to this side of the forum looking for!

Audio is a strong tool for immersion, and indeed very important to the entire process.
I'd like to thank you and the sound team for your work, you do your part in making the game beautiful just like the teams that work on the visuals.

You are the voice of Warframe.

I was really worried that we were going to end up with a softer quieter Warframe.
You've put these doubts to rest, so now my stress over it has subsided.

Goodluck with resolving the issue, wish you the best!

<3

Edited by Rudest

We take weapon sounds very seriously (we believe they are some of the most important sounds in the game) and we do in fact, agonize over them.

We share something in common.

Hopes this Fix comes hard and soon!! We must end all popcorn!

hi DE_George, it make me feal better that you guys are working hard to prefect the sounds of the game and working on fixing some issues that might of created along the way.

i know whats it like to fix one thing and break 2 more along the way, it can be a nasty domino effect (been there done that, espacilly in models, sounds and animations).

hell its awesome that you guys are on top of things (even tho some dont think that way and expect things to be fixed "as in yesterday").

keep up the great work guys.

Edited by Kurieitaa

There is actually a bug responsible for the utterly bad weapon sounds?

Well that might also explain why the mighty Snipetron Vandal now sounds

like a, excuse me for my choice of words, wet fart.

I hope it's not actually supposed to sound like that in the first place.

We appreciate you guys making the guns go "BANG" for us.

I am looking forward to listen to the "actual" weapon sounds

Edited by Kasamoto

There is actually a bug responsible for the utterly bad weapon sounds?

Well that might also explain why the mighty Snipetron Vandal now sounds

like a, excuse me for my choice of words, wet fart.

I hope it's not actually supposed to sound like that in the first place.

We appreciate you guys making the guns go "BANG" for us.

I am looking forward to listen to the "actual" weapon sounds

IMHO Sandal now sounds like an airsoft rifle...

My PC specs: http://i.imgur.com/p5ScKC6.png

I run warframe at 60fps all the time, and the sounds are still bad IMO.

I'm also interested in what ways the new implemenation is "far superior" if it is the thing causing these "bugs"

60FPS locked here too, I really do you hope you guys are not just looking at FPS related issues.

I don't think FPS is the only/real issue here...

Edited by Egg_Chen

This explains why my Gorgon sounds like a Mk-1 Braton and why I now have a hard time figuring out what another player is using just by the sound. Also, I'd like to point out that my game runs at a fairly high and stable framerate so I'm not sure if that's the sole reason for this problem.

Thanks for taking the time to communicate with your player base, you guys really are the best when it comes to that. I look forward to the fixes/tweaks that will be made.

Thanks for the update on the situation!

I had noticed that most of my weapons sounded like they were having a bad day and just didn't feel like killing anyone.

Unfortunately for my enemies, they still obeyed and dished out that slaughter.

I am seething with anticipation for the completion of the fix.

You guys are doing great work and I can not get enough of this game, THANK YOU!

So this "superior" method is what resulted in the Lato sounding like a party popper, the Strun like a chain smokers cough, the Bronco like a whoopy cushion, the Snipetron Vandal like a farting drum and the Gorgon like an empty tin can being repeatedly smacked with a wooden spoon? And I find they sound exactly the same all the time anyway, regardless of my frame rate so really, those missing sound parts are always being dropped.

Still, it's good to know that it's not a deliberate audio nerf.

Edited by Nova2000