Photo

Clan Emblem: Why Is Black Transparent And Not The Alpha Channel?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Zekail

Zekail

Novice

• Master
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

so we just got to look at our clan emblem and this is what we got

o5YSnVM.png?1

now this is what our emblem is supposed to be

mqkj5Gg.png

it seems the alpha channel isnt accepted as the transparency and black is

here you can see the back is clearly being used as the transparency

ipA145U.png

Edited by Zekail, 15 July 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#2 Rynax

Rynax

Gold Novice

• Grand Master
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

I feel really stupid running around with a giant white box on my shoulder >.>

#3 Zekail

Zekail

Novice

• Master
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

SO DO I, we are very upset that directions wernt clearly posted on how to do this and what was supposed to be used as the transparency

#4 Lumireaver

Lumireaver

Eagle

• Master
  • 2397 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

I imagine DE will help you out without charging you again for another submission, but thanks for the warning. Just throw a support ticket their way. Nice emblem by the way. :-)

Edited by Lumireaver, 15 July 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#5 Zekail

Zekail

Novice

• Master
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I imagine DE will help you out without charging you again for another submission, but thanks for the warning. Just throw a support ticket their way. Nice emblem by the way. :-)

right our clan leader is taking care of it i just got picks and started the topic for him, just posting this so people know whats up.

Edited by Zekail, 15 July 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#6 Hollow_Knight

Hollow_Knight

Silver Novice

• Master
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Personally, I think this is kinda DE's problem to solve, transparency is fairly well understood, so why is the black being converted into transparency instead?  The image provided makes it fairly clear what we wanted to see in game, and since we weren't told what the rules were....

Fixed or I'd like my platinum back, costs 150 for a Warlord to upload an image.

Edited by Hollow_Knight, 15 July 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#7 Firetempest

Firetempest

Eagle

• Master
  • 2017 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

This just really sucks.

yL2wZDE.jpg

av0N5p6.png

#8 BinoAl

BinoAl

Gold Disciple

• Master
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

I had the same issue; I put in a ticket. I'm gonna be &!$$ed beyond belief if they make me pay the 150 plat again simply to have it fixed.

Edited by BinoAl, 15 July 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#9 Sixnalia

Sixnalia

Silver Novice

• Grand Master
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hey there, I 'll be submitting an image of my own for my clan. I was curious if any of you could give me some pointers so I can avoid having my submission messed up.

Black = Transparent then?

TechSup_zps2fe5c29d.png

TechSup_zpsbfdcde2f.png

Edited by Sixnalia, 15 July 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#10 Hollow_Knight

Hollow_Knight

Silver Novice

• Master
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

As far as we're aware, yes, those should appear as you want them.

As a disclaimer, I'll say that it may NOT work, as Firetempest's emblem appears to have given him a red background and then a white border...

#11 Firetempest

Firetempest

Eagle

• Master
  • 2017 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Sixnalia, I wouldn't waste any money on this tell they get it sorted out.

Some work, some don't, some times black is transparent, other times it seems not. Plenty of white bordered ones like mine, other with weird tiled artifacting... its a bit of a mess.

#12 Zekail

Zekail

Novice

• Master
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hey there, I 'll be submitting an image of my own for my clan. I was curious if any of you could give me some pointers so I can avoid having my submission messed up.

Black = Transparent then?

TechSup_zps2fe5c29d.png

TechSup_zpsbfdcde2f.png

those look good and as it stands right now all that black will be transparent space so you will only see the design....ideally

Edited by Zekail, 15 July 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#13 Phatose

Phatose

Silver Hunter

• Master
  • 988 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Well, to answer the actual question of the topic, take a good look at FireTempest's image.

The Clan Emblems are light projections, so they use additive color.  They aren't decals on armor, and "black" light makes no sense at all.  You can see in FireTempest's image that you can actually see through the emblem, and it adds color.

Black isn't transparent per se - it's just that black adds no color whatsoever since it's (0,0,0).

I wouldn't expect a fix where png transparency works in the way you expect - transparency doesn't make any sense here, since the emblems are transparent to begin with. 

#14 Love2Camp

Love2Camp

Disciple

• Master
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:36 AM

There was no mention of that being the terms. Logic dictates that the transparency in the png is transparent. Imagine if they were to add some sort of clan listing on the website, should everyone have black squares with a picture on it as their logo?

I'm kinda baffled myself. We too have a white square, and there is no white (or black) in our logo, only transparency and red. If that transparency converts into white, you'd think they could change it when converting it to ingame resources?

I'm really annoyed, but, I do think DE will fix this, at least that's what I'm hoping. They've been fair with so many other things. 

Oh, and with bloom on, I now have a flashlight on my shoulder :<

/e: typo's!

Edited by Love2Camp, 16 July 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#15 Hollow_Knight

Hollow_Knight

Silver Novice

• Master
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

Well, to answer the actual question of the topic, take a good look at FireTempest's image.

The Clan Emblems are light projections, so they use additive color.  They aren't decals on armor, and "black" light makes no sense at all.  You can see in FireTempest's image that you can actually see through the emblem, and it adds color.

Black isn't transparent per se - it's just that black adds no color whatsoever since it's (0,0,0).

I wouldn't expect a fix where png transparency works in the way you expect - transparency doesn't make any sense here, since the emblems are transparent to begin with. 

Whilst that makes a fair bit of sense...

A.  They didn't tell us this was how it works, the only guidelines we were given was '128x128 .PNG'

B. Given that the image is ACTUALLY just the texture raised into open space, you could display the black just fine, even if it doesn't technically make sense in that it's a hologram.

#16 Phatose

Phatose

Silver Hunter

• Master
  • 988 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Well, it's not just the texture raised into space - it's being used as an emissive light.

I expect the devs will probably let you upload a new version at no charge if you contact them.  In the meantime, I've created a tool to correct your current logos as much as possible.

https://forums.warfr...ndpost&p=880501

#17 Cul513

Cul513

Silver Initiate

• PC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

We have a problem too. Our clan emblem have transparent (invisible) parts on it, but in game these parts are filled with collor. Its a standart .PNG 128*128 image created in photoshop. Its looks not as I expected.

http://steamcommunit.../?id=160593263� -  screenshots in steam.

How can I fix it? Maby RBG 0;0;255 color should be in place of transparent elements?

#18 Phatose

Phatose

Silver Hunter

• Master
  • 988 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

In the thread linked in my post above, I have a tool specifically for reprocessing.  Try that.  Otherwise, 0,0,0 is going to be transparent.

#19 -WARP-Xaero

-WARP-Xaero

Silver Novice

• Grand Master
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Okay but have you actually done that and had it show up properly in-game? Otherwise it's not even worth it.

#20 Love2Camp

Love2Camp

Disciple

• Master
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

It's probably a nice tool and all, but it shouldn't be necessary to use a third-party tool to get the expected results.

Also, I'm not spending more plat on this, at least not until DE comments on it.