Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Contact List Problems

[DE]Glen

The Lotus is aware that there are still Tenno who have contacts that do not appear online.

Our researchers have made a made number of changes to the Orokin communication network to try to

improve things; in Update 6 and subsequent hotfixes we:

• made substantial improvements to the network protocol used by the contact list.
  • made our UPnP support much more patient with unresponsive routers.
  • added a Network Analysis tool you can access in the settings to test your network connection.
  • added automatic configuration of Windows Firewall in the launcher.
  • fixed an issue with Tenno on separate private subnets using the same address-range.

At this point the Lotus is looking for loyal Tenno to isolate out the remaining problems.

If you’re willing to help she needs you to gather logs for us in a very specific way:

First you and your friend need to make sure your network is okay:

1. Load up Warframe and go to the Settings menu
  2. Run the Network Analysis tool.
  3. If the analysis fails please solve this problem before continuing (the Help button should open a web-page with details).

Once both you and your friend get ‘All Systems Nominal’ we need to make your logs as simple as possible;

you both need to strip your contact list down to just you and your friend:

1. Please leave your clan (find your name in Clan list, r-click for menu).
  2. Please remove all friends except the one you’re testing with.
  3. When finished you should have just one friend in your contact list.

After you and your friend are ready to test:

1. Both of you need to quit Warframe and wait about 30 seconds to flush out old contacts.
  2. When you are both ready to go, please launch Warframe at roughly the same time.
  3. Both of you should run the network analysis tool first to gather diagnostics.
  4. Open up your contact list and let it sit there for a full minute.
  5. Quit the game.
  6. Get your EE.log from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Warframe
  7. Create a support ticket at http://support.warframe.com/ and attach the log from both players.
  8. Please title the ticket “Offline Contact Diagnostics” so I can spot them quickly.
  9. If you know the make & model of your router it might be helpful to include in the ticket.

The Lotus would be grateful for your assistance. We will continue to pressure our research team to

isolate these communication failures.

Don't talk like this please it is silly. But thanks for the help "Lotus".

You're no fun at all.

Almost all my contact issues have been fixed. I've only noticed one showing offline when he was not. He hasn't been on lately, but when I see him I'll ask if he'll run through the process above. Deleting all 90 or so of my contacts and adding them again is a little daunting, though. That and being grandmaster in a clan complicates things,but not much I guess.

Almost all my contact issues have been fixed. I've only noticed one showing offline when he was not. He hasn't been on lately, but when I see him I'll ask if he'll run through the process above. Deleting all 90 or so of my contacts and adding them again is a little daunting, though. That and being grandmaster in a clan complicates things,but not much I guess.

Hey I really appreciate the offer but if it's working for you don't go smashing your contact list if you have that many! Just have you and your friend run the network analysis -- it's possible that it will reveal somethign that could explain it (and you can test this without pruning your contacts down).

Dawg...

We're working on one of Warframe's biggest problems.

Please don't call our posting style silly. Remarks like that don't motivate our team.

I mean no disrespect i just meant the delivery was silly, i prefare to be just told straight up without the Tenno and Lotus stuff, I apreciate how hard the team works and you guys are doing a bang up job with content updates and bug fixs. Good day.

Not sure if contact list is bugged...or friends just dont get on anymore.

But thankyou for the step by step. Looking forward to seeing more fine work out of the Lotus.

Yeah, out of my forty something contacts it feels like many don't get on anymore. :C

Hopefully these fixes will reveal who is a loyal Tenno and who is not!

Dawg...

We're working on one of Warframe's biggest problems.

Please don't call our posting style silly. Remarks like that don't motivate our team.

The fact that you said "Dawg" automatically gets you bonus points.

As for the silly posting style: It's not silly, it's "In character". We're playing an Online 3rd Person Shooter MMO. We're playing a massively multiplayer online shooter with RPG elements. I honestly don't think it gets any sillier than that aside from playing something like Guild Wars 2 or World of Warcraft and legitimately role playing, DnD style.

Which even then, since we're all playing the game, there's no room to talk on anyone's behalf. I like when people take the extra effort to do that, it makes me feel more immersed to be honest and because I'm going to spend hours of my life I'm not getting back on something, I'd prefer to be as immersed as possible, as long as it isn't abusive of course.

-Akuzimo

The fact that you said "Dawg" automatically gets you bonus points.

As for the silly posting style: It's not silly, it's "In character". We're playing an Online 3rd Person Shooter MMO. We're playing a massively multiplayer online shooter with RPG elements. I honestly don't think it gets any sillier than that aside from playing something like Guild Wars 2 or World of Warcraft and legitimately role playing, DnD style.

Which even then, since we're all playing the game, there's no room to talk on anyone's behalf. I like when people take the extra effort to do that, it makes me feel more immersed to be honest and because I'm going to spend hours of my life I'm not getting back on something, I'd prefer to be as immersed as possible, as long as it isn't abusive of course.

-Akuzimo

Well, Dawg is the poster's forum name for a start, also, the post style adds flavour in my opinion.

Do you guys want the logs even if I cannot get "All systems nominal"? Seriously, my ports are open, Windows Firewall is disabled, and all other programs agree and allow incoming traffic on ports 3960 and 3962.

If you and your friend both pass the network test and you gather logs as directed above we are very interested in your logs.

I mean no disrespect i just meant the delivery was silly, i prefare to be just told straight up without the Tenno and Lotus stuff, I apreciate how hard the team works and you guys are doing a bang up job with content updates and bug fixs. Good day.

Keeping a little levity in the face of work is always going to make things go smoother.

You guys are doing a fantastic job. The fact you have put thought and time into the post just shows how much you are invested in it.

Edited by SilverBones

I would like to know if these issues are like a top priority issue being addressed? Like I have said previously in another thread, I love this game but not being able to play with my friends is just becoming a major hassle and honestly tiring/frustrating. We have literally done everything we have read on these forums and then some with no avial. There are times when some of us appear offline for others but online for some. Then there are times when someone can join one person but can't join the rest of the group. Really just a pain and as much as I still want to play the game I cannot and will not until this issue is resolved.

Edit: It is also a very big hassle to have to remove all friends to get any assistance with the issue. Also doesn't really help considering this is problem is happening with multiple friends who have all tried everything and are getting 'All Systems Nominal'.

Edited by Anoki

Please understand that this is exceptionally difficult to fix -- all of our own employees that have tested from home have not been able to reproduce the problem. So far we have had *two* people submit a pair of logs -- one of which doesn't even have access to his router to go farther with the investigation.

Imagine an auto mechanic being asked to fix a customer's car via text messaging -- the situation is as frustrating for us as it is for you, believe me.

That said, we are still working on this; there is a pontential workaround for bad routers going out in the next update and we are planning to add support for NAT-PMP (an alternative to UPnP).

And regarding the irritation of having to unfriend all but the person involved in the test: trying to deciper a log full of long hex numbers and IP addresses is painstaking and difficult enough with just one friend involved -- when you thrown in a popular clan and a dozen friends it's exceptionally difficult to trace what's going on.

If you don't want to unfriend everybody make new accounts in open beta this weekend and test in isolation.

So far we have had *two* people submit a pair of logs

Really? Huh. I thought for sure more people were struggling with this apart from myself. Oh well, atleast I'm helping!

one of which doesn't even have access to his router to go farther with the investigation.

....maybe not as much as I'd like, though....

Both I and one of my clan mates has submitted support tickets with the EE.txt log file regarding this issue. We have 2 clan members who have correct game status at any given time and we are able to join their session. Additionally, they are able to send invites to all clan members to join their session regardless of whether they are having this problem. We have manually configured our firewalls and routers as directed with no improvement.

Something interesting though is that both I and my clan member that is having this problem have strong backgrounds in network administration and security. Right now, I'm wondering if dropping my entire firewall will even have any effect on this problem.

As a note, I am using a standard Xfinity Wireless Gateway hard-wired to a Linksys E4200 v1 wireless router with an AE2500 v1 USB Wireless adapter. I have Norton 360 security software installed and utilize WPA2-SK network encryption on a Dual-band Wireless N Mixed Mode Network.

__ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

*Update from Feb19* - Both I and my clan mate completely dropped our firewalls, closed the game for a full minute. Then relaunched client, logged in and waited for another full minute. Still neither of us could see the other as anything other than "offline" status.

__ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Edited by LongDraw

Hey there. I've recently made some progress on this front that I thought the devs and community might be interested in... So I got into this game just a short while ago and decided I dig it, bought founder to have some keys for my buds, open weekend came around and I'm all "Sweet. You guys can try it and see if you'll like it." Two of my brothers get on, like it, but can only ever see one online (the one on my LAN) even when I'm skyping with the other, KNOWING he's online. Tried everything (as I'm sure most have by now, it's VERY frustrating, we know), but could ONLY get into a game with him by joining someone random and hoping we both connected to same host. Went to his house, fiddled with his router. UPnP on/off, didn't matter (Network Analyzer said Strict NAT). Forwarded the 396'er ports, got the analyzer to give it the "green light" and thought "Oh, must have got it, simple enough." only to get home, relogin and no dice.

I know your pain. So where I DID have progress was replacing my brother's Belkin N530 router with an extra Netgear router (I think it's the Rangemax Wireless Gigabit) that I had sitting around from my old network. It was still setup with my old specification of UPnP on, WEP wireless protection, etc. and it worked as soon as I hit the damn power button. Bam. I could see him online. He could see me online. Join, host, private matches out the yin-yang, all WITHOUT port forwarding. Now I'm not knocking Belkin, or promoting Netgear here, but there is definately something to this. At first I thought it might be the router's firmware to blame, but my Netgear is running on damn near 2 y/o firmware and the Belkin was up to Dec '12. I'm forced to believe, for whatever reason, the Belkin UPnP option is not working properly and that this may also be the case for some others out there.

IF you have an extra router to try, even if it's a little older, give it a shot. It JUST MIGHT get you in a game with your buddies. All in all though, thought everyone interested might want the above info.

Cheers.

Edited by Ninja99X

I have never had a problem with a Strict NAT error within Warframe. An update to the game occured around 7:30pm EST tonight, and now I cannot play the game with my brother who sits beside me.

I first received the Strict NAT error, but after forwarding the ports requested it is simply telling me to "Please ensure that your firewall permits UDP ports 3960 & 3962."

I have disabled my firewall, I have attempted to troubleshoot what is suggested by your help page regarding Strict NAT and port forwarding, however nothing resolves the issue.