Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"I am Nyx." - Back to serious entries for now!

SilverBones

I am Nyx.

I sing. It is a song that has no words, no music and no volume, but it is heard by everyone, nonetheless. The tempo beats with my heart and the notes are the sparkling of thousands of motor neurons dancing across the brain. It brings comfort to some and terror to others; wrapping itself around the pleasure centers and twisting the knife the dark secrets of the mind.

I call out, and as I do so, the consciousness responds.

The heavy gunner, caught in my tune, moves as if he was protecting a lover or precious member of family as he steps between me and my other aggressors. I watch him, cooing softly to his inner ear as he pulls the trigger and mows down the rest of his support team. Bullets find purchase in his flesh, but his dedication to me is so ingrained that he does not even call out in pain.

The thought of me hurting makes him cry.

When he is finished, his broken, bullet-ridden form turns to me and looks for some measure of approval. With every step closer to him, I can feel the swell of pride in his heart and the honor he feels in serving me. He would die for me if I commanded it, crawling into fire or throwing himself into a vast pit.

He disgusts me.

With a fling of my arm, psychic blades manifest and sail towards him in a narrow arc. As his body parts fall aside in a display of shimmering crimson, I can hear only one thought in his putrid, mutated mind.

“Why?”

I am unmoved; the song still sung until its end. I continue without guilt or pause, for my siblings have fallen in waves to the former military might of the Grineer. When my kin were slaughtered, they asked the same question and I was unable to answer.

I am the unheard music, the soft comfort to the troubled; the monster who knows your desires and fears.

I am Nyx.

I always viewed the Tenno as sort of heroes in this rather warped conflict, but this has made me question that, we massacre as many and as remorselessly as the Grineer and Corpus, are the Tenno any better than them anymore?

I always viewed the Tenno as sort of heroes in this rather warped conflict, but this has made me question that, we massacre as many and as remorselessly as the Grineer and Corpus, are the Tenno any better than them anymore?

The Tenno is a military force no doubt that is serving under the ancient orokin principle. so no, personally i don't think they are any better than the grineer or the corpus, it's like a religion war, it's not about who is right, only who is left

yes, the orokin principal (or how i like to call it) is the strict code of the Tenno which makes them different from any other warriors, much like the bushido principal of the samurai, but in the end they were warriors and killing is their duty, what makes them different is turning combat into art with their skill and elegance and achieving tranquility state of mind so as not to fall within the bloodlust, this is what they mean by Tenno's chivalry

Bushido was a very... conflicted. On the one hand you were meant to show compassion, but also swift Justice. To the ancient Samurai, showing compassion meant cutting a man’s head off, instead of severing an arm. Killing a village of people to stop an epidemic was a very compassionate thing to do when you looked at the whole.

Chivalry can be practiced alongside brutal efficiency, no problem. It is all about perception.