Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enter: The Rollerboss!

Luminati07

Hi guys,

After reading the posts in this thread - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/93390-what-this-new-multishot-mod-means'>Link

And also giving my take on the rollerboss idea, I thought I'd create a thread for it.

Rollers are generally considered to be annoying "enemies", who are just there to stun you.

But, I honestly think a rollerboss would be awesome if done right.

Bulletstorm%20launch%20capture.jpg

tumblr_lb7kzaaSys1qbzf0vo1_500.jpg

(From the game Bulletstorm)

I think a rollerboss would be awesome if it was on a huge scale like that.

It would be on the new grineer settlements. Taking place in a huge, open area. (maybe with some buildings, boulders, structures etc.)

When the roller connects with a structure, it would tear through it. (could be hard on the systems, though)

I'll post this thread now, and think of some other mechanics and edit the post.

Thoughts?

What do you think would be some cool ideas for a boss like this?

*Edit 1*

1. I think this boss should definitely have some special way of taking it down. Not just shooting it non-stop until it's dead.

Post some ideas about what you think would be an interesting way to do this.

2. Deckers brought up an interesting point.

Powers. How would powers affect it?

IMO, this should be kind of like an endgame type boss, where you need to play skillfully, and smart, to win.

This means that Snowglobe and Bastille shouldn't be used as 'I win' buttons.

Maybe Snowglobe protects you from 1 impact, that's it.

Bastille could slow it down by a small amount, rather than raising it into the air.

*Edit 2*

I think it should have some weapons as well, instead of just rolling around.

Perhaps some missiles or projectiles that fires upon you while it's rolling. (not cheap, 1 shotting projectiles. I.E Raptor)

But, something that will keep you on your toes, while still keeping the boss fight feeling fair.

*Edit 3*

After reading over the replies, the issue of what should happen if it rolls over you arises.

Honestly, I think, like has been said, you should be downed.

I'm all for having 1 hit kill bosses, as long as they are kept fair.

1 hit kills would work, as long as this boss can't zip around back to you and roll over your face again in the space of 2 seconds.

That's Raptor's issue. He has high damaging attacks, but it never feels fair when you fight him/it.

Challenging, but fair. That's the way Dark Souls does things, and that's the way boss fights should be.

Edited by Nugget_

Well, when I look at that big wheel from Bulletstorm, Here is my concept for this boss:

He would be invulnerable except for the sides where he has guns or rocket launchers or whatever. His main goal is to roll straight at you to run you over which causes incapacitation. His guns are meanwhile shooting on anything around.
We have to destroy the guns and then shoot through the holes, which are left after the gun is desroyed, to destroy roller's reactor,
thus killing the boss.

Snowglobe and bastille should just slow down boss but not stopping him.

And this is how I see it in ms Paint

zcmVD5Z.png

There was a thread a long time ago about a Roller boss, however this Bulletstorm concept looks pretty nice, and the reactor concept that Enguzard drew up looks pretty interesting and viable.

Perhaps if the boss was large enough you would be able to get inside it (a very cramped space) and shoot at the reactor in the middle. One way to enter it would be through the sides once the turret guns are destroyed and through the middle (there would be a veryyyy narrow opening the middle of the boss which a single warframe could slip into. If players time their jump right, they could grab onto a low platform and make their way up to the reactor). Once inside though, and after a set number of damage has been done to the reactor, the roller will stop suddenly and toss around players inside of it with its inertia, possibly flinging them out. If not, it will charge up an EMP pulse inside of it, depleting the energy of every warframe inside of it and taking down their shields by 50%.

Alternatively: Once in a while, the reactor could emit an EMP pulse that takes away some shields and restores a little to the reactor itself. Players can avoid this by climbing down or up (it only affects players on the reactor level) and waiting until the pulse has gone. The pulse also staggers warframes, which can knock them off the roller.

There was a thread a long time ago about a Roller boss, however this Bulletstorm concept looks pretty nice, and the reactor concept that Enguzard drew up looks pretty interesting and viable.

Perhaps if the boss was large enough you would be able to get inside it (a very cramped space) and shoot at the reactor in the middle. One way to enter it would be through the sides once the turret guns are destroyed and through the middle (there would be a veryyyy narrow opening the middle of the boss which a single warframe could slip into. If players time their jump right, they could grab onto a low platform and make their way up to the reactor). Once inside though, and after a set number of damage has been done to the reactor, the roller will stop suddenly and toss around players inside of it with its inertia, possibly flinging them out. If not, it will charge up an EMP pulse inside of it, depleting the energy of every warframe inside of it and taking down their shields by 50%.

Alternatively: Once in a while, the reactor could emit an EMP pulse that takes away some shields and restores a little to the reactor itself. Players can avoid this by climbing down or up (it only affects players on the reactor level) and waiting until the pulse has gone. The pulse also staggers warframes, which can knock them off the roller.

Great ideas!

Thanks for the support. :)

Nervos Cannon. On a rollerboss. I don't think that it should be huge though. More like Episode III of Starwars.(I.E. Grievous wheel.)

I don't think it'd be as awesome to fight something like that. :(

It'd be hard to match the intensity of a massive roller coming at you.

But, we just have two separate opinions. :)

However, I actually think something like that would work as a new heavy enemy.

Maybe for the Corpus, they seem to be lacking in the heavies department.

Hi guys,

After reading the posts in this thread - Link

And also giving my take on the rollerboss idea, I thought I'd create a thread for it.

Rollers are generally considered to be annoying "enemies", who are just there to stun you.

But, I honestly think a rollerboss would be awesome if done right.

Bulletstorm%20launch%20capture.jpg

tumblr_lb7kzaaSys1qbzf0vo1_500.jpg

(From the game Bulletstorm)

I think a rollerboss would be awesome if it was on a huge scale like that.

It would be on the new grineer settlements. Taking place in a huge, open area. (maybe with some buildings, boulders, structures etc.)

When the roller connects with a structure, it would tear through it. (could be hard on the systems, though)

I'll post this thread now, and think of some other mechanics and edit the post.

Thoughts?

What do you think would be some cool ideas for a boss like this?

*Edit 1*

1. I think this boss should definitely have some special way of taking it down. Not just shooting it non-stop until it's dead.

Post some ideas about what you think would be an interesting way to do this.

2. Deckers brought up an interesting point.

Powers. How would powers affect it?

IMO, this should be kind of like an endgame type boss, where you need to play skillfully, and smart, to win.

This means that Snowglobe and Bastille shouldn't be used as 'I win' buttons.

Maybe Snowglobe protects you from 1 impact, that's it.

Bastille could slow it down by a small amount, rather than raising it into the air.

*Edit 2*

I think it should have some weapons as well, instead of just rolling around.

Perhaps some missiles or projectiles that fires upon you while it's rolling. (not cheap, 1 shotting projectiles. I.E Raptor)

But, something that will keep you on your toes, while still keeping the boss fight feeling fair.

*Edit 3*

After reading over the replies, the issue of what should happen if it rolls over you arises.

Honestly, I think, like has been said, you should be downed.

I'm all for having 1 hit kill bosses, as long as they are kept fair.

1 hit kills would work, as long as this boss can't zip around back to you and roll over your face again in the space of 2 seconds.

That's Raptor's issue. He has high damaging attacks, but it never feels fair when you fight him/it.

Challenging, but fair. That's the way Dark Souls does things, and that's the way boss fights should be.

YES YES YES AND YES

I don't think it'd be as awesome to fight something like that. :(

It'd be hard to match the intensity of a massive roller coming at you.

But, we just have two separate opinions. :)

However, I actually think something like that would work as a new heavy enemy.

Maybe for the Corpus, they seem to be lacking in the heavies department.

That might actually work..... But not as a heavy. More like a not so rare stalker.

• 3 months later...

This is exactly what we need. A seriously massive boss to kill requiring lots of interpersonal cooperation.

To me there are only two ways to react to see a monster like that, you panic and go "how the hell do we kill that?"

Or you (like me) squeal with delight and say " we get to splode the hell outta that thing!"

Some obvious explanations for the sheer size and utter stupid hugeness of it could be that its a grineer/corpus/orokin terraforming platform, and its being used to create a cloning facility. Due to the implications of a new cloning facility for the grineer, it must be destroyed but due to the rarity of the parts its made of and the possibility its powered by orokin reactors, it cannot be shot down via orbital nuke.

I wanna give this all of the +1s i can just to have a chance at killing something like that