Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mission Idea: Sniper Defense

ChickenBar

We have all these fine sniper rifles, powerful, immense zoom, great sounds, and we have all these fine sniping spots on all these Defense missions. I really had a heck lotta fun sniping in these missions.

However, apart from defense, currently there's really no practical use of sniper rifles in any other missions, as most of them are rushed and cqb based, making sniper rifles obsolete in most cases. Also, as awesome these existing defense missions are, it is near impossible to complete the missions with ONLY snipers, as enemies come from all directions and the huge number of spawns just make it unreasonable.

I think sniper rifles need a home, so I came up with this Sniper Defense mission idea:

The extraction team is extracting an Orokin Artifact from an enemy base, but hordes of enemies are approaching from the outside. The Tenno need to take advantage of the sniping posts of this base to prevent the enemies from getting into the base, kill the extraction team and failing the mission.

The gameplay mechanics are simple:

1. Tenno need to protect the base from a high ground or a sniper overwatch, eliminating all approaching enemies that spawns from a SINGLE direction.

2. Enemies will need to hack a console in order to get into the base and fail the mission.

3. All other mechanics from typical defense missions still apply.

Suggestions:

1. This type of Defense missions MUST NOT strictly be snipers only, all other weapons are welcome. But of course sniper rifles are obviously the most ideal weapon for these missions, therefore encouraging the use of snipers.

2. The Lotus should say something along the lines of: "Enemies incoming, there are overwatch locations in this base, I would suggest you to utilize long range rifles to protect the base while the team is extracting the Artifact.

3. Spawn rate should highly depend on the size of the squad. If you're on solo, the spawn rate should be able to compensate that.

4. Tenno are free to move about on the low ground to make use of their powers. Sniping from top is still optional. However, enemies will PRIORITIZE player on low ground, making fighting close quarters suicidal.

5. Constant ammo drop, but not excessive.

6. No need for Infest sniper defense. They fast and scratch only and dunno how to hack anyways.

6. Make us snipers happy, PROFIT.

Of course this is NOT the only mission idea to make use of snipers, but that's for later.

If this kind of missions does come true, we shall rock our Snipetrons and Latrons and Vulkurs like we never did before. Please, we are in need of this.

1010101010101010101010010101010101001010101010101000000000000000000000000000000000000000010010101010010101010101010101010010101000000000010100101010101010101001010101010010101001010101010100101010101010100101010101010010101010101010101010010101

That was assembly code for: "You just made my computers day"

(Not real assembly code.)

Maybe instead of having enemies hack terminals, have them bash down the doors! Then we can still have an infested sniper mission. This is the best idea I've heard.

AHHA I did think of that, however there are two issues:

1. If the mission will fail if the door is bashed, than Corpus and Grineers will be able to do it by guns and there won't be any different from typical defense.

2. Infest are close quarters combat only, so they won't be able to damage players on high ground. Therefore no challenge.

thx for the suggestion though :)

If they do make one like the one you suggested.....

Wouldn't people just go full force on the ground?

Great idea though :D

I did address that on point 4 of Suggestions. cuz I figured this will happen lol.

edit:

1. engaging on ground will still risk some enemies to hack the console.

2. if 3 players choose to engage on ground, one sniper will still play a huge role on defending the base, compared to other missions.

Edited by ChickenBar

While the idea has merit, I don't see how snipers "need a home"

A sniper is supposed to provide target elimination support from long-range, from multiple positions

Personally, when in a 3-4 man squad with clannies, I use the Vandaltron.

Base up before chokepoints, and while other squaddies are getting in the grill of enemies or taking care of the flanks, I just snipe incoming targets.

Snipe, displace, snipe, displace.

That's the tactic snipers should utilize. Not merely "camp" at ONE specific location.

So I don't really see the need for sniper specific missions or maps, tbh.

But as stated initially, the idea does have merit.

Edited by Ronin666

I gonna use Orgis

I gonna Nova at the door.

I gonna Camp on the route with Frost and Nova, 2 other frames are for decoration.

I gonna shoot them in straight line with Paris Prime.

Press 4 at door for the win.

Too many ways to exploit this, have you think about that?

I gonna use Orgis

I gonna Nova at the door.

I gonna Camp on the route with Frost and Nova, 2 other frames are for decoration.

I gonna shoot them in straight line with Paris Prime.

Press 4 at door for the win.

Too many ways to exploit this, have you think about that?

Have everyone start quite a ways behind the door, and have respawn barriers on the ground. Force them to engage targets from a distance and from atop the walls.