Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Psa: Guide To 'defense Mission' Etiquette

aldershot

Hello Tennos, today we're here to talk about Defense Mission etiquette!

We'll start off with what should take place to fairly divi-out profitable resources and xp to every one in your party!

When playing a defense mission, it is most efficient for all players to stay relatively close to the defense point (pod, reactor, power generator, etc), and to kill mobs relatively close to the point as well. In all honesty that's all there really is to it! By doing this, every one will receive their maximum potential in advancement for playing the mission with you!

Here's why:

-Shared XP-
XP is shared in Warframe, but only with'n a certain radius. Stray too far and the members protecting the pod will not receive the xp gained by your kills, and vice-versa. This is a lose-lose situation.

-Item pick up time-
In-between rounds, especially the higher level rounds, players will be doing the majority of item drop gathering, and will only have a few seconds to do so. If every one kills around the pod, this means drops will also be around the pod, making collecting dropped items much faster for every one, and less likely some one will miss any.

-Strategic advantage-
One may think that killings mobs far away from the pod seems like a reasonable strategy, distancing them from the pod as much as possible. In practice no one frame can kill every single mob by positioning them selves at any given spawn point. Though you may get all respective mobs from the west, the east side could be hording the pod, and since you're so far away, the time it takes for you to get into a defensive position will be much greater than if your position was already close to the pod. In reality, Mobs will always come to the pod, so stay next to it and you'll get just as much kills as spawn camping. Truth is, you'll actually get more, since your AOE's won't just hit mobs from any one direction, but now are hitting all mobs who came from all directions.

-Psychologically distracting-
When a player is spawn camping in a defense map, it urks the ones who are protecting the pod, knowing all the facts above. The tedium of losing XP, item drops, and just general fun of killing things, will drive any strategic thinker, to rash action, like leaving the pod unprotected to join the spawn camper, in an attempt to gain shared XP and item drops. This fails defense missions more than any thing else.

-Fun Factor-
No one likes a show off, and no one is impressed by a spawn campers in defense. It's a team effort and the end kill count means a whole lot less than the amount of waves you'll get through to score the bigger rewards. Benefiting every one, is benefiting yourself.

FAQs:

"But XXXX warframe is taking all my kills. I have to spawn camp to retain my kill count"
- If XXXX warframe is taking all your kills, s/he can continue to do it by spawn camping next to you, and now there are even less people protecting the pod... if any at all. Don't forget, warframe is not a PvP game, it's a co-op. Team effort above all else.

"I spawn camp defense maps all the time. No one seems to mind so far"
- Though maybe no one has said any thing to you directly, I assure you a few players you've played with were silently annoyed. Truth is, most players are courteous enough to not step on your toes, so please return that courtesy by being a team player

"You can't tell me how to play the game. STFU"
- You are correct. In the end, Warframe is as much my game as it is yours. I don't have the right to tell you how to play and you are more than welcomed to play as you chose. Consider this guide as a detailed tip, and maybe some thing to think about. Don't look at these as rules, as they are more so suggestions.

Notes (after thoughts from replies):

- When I mention staying relatively close to the pod, I don't mean for all 4 players to hug the defense point at all time. Spread out, but remain with'n a 1-2 second sprint from the pod.

- Even with a generous team boarder set up, some times it's respectable to launch yourself into a crowd to debuff them and then come back into position. I call this sling-shotting (unless there is an actual term for this) and certainly has it's use.

Edited by aldershot

It'll never work:

I play my Nova, hug the pod, use MP sparingly and still get the highest kills - get spammed with "F'KIN N00B NOVA!11!!!"

I play my Nyx, hug the pod, use Chaos when necessary, oddly get the highest kills - get spammed with "F@%&ING NoOb NYXXZZZ!!11!!"

Both times, the other 3 were farming 1 spawn point, letting me (barely) protect the pod from every other mob on the map. Moral of the story is, public games are just that: if you want better team play, use your friends list and chat to any player you gell with, keep them close and keep building up your contacts.

And carry a multi forma'd Flux and Acrid at all times :P

Edited by Keltik0ne

There is one flaw with your post.

The people on the forums likely know all the information posted here. It's the people who DON'T come here that do the annoying things for the most part.

Still, +1 for effort.

Maybe a sticky might help? I think this is universally beneficial for every one to read this, especially newer players.

ofcourse, im bias as hell since i'm the OP. this is up to the mods. 

Edited by aldershot

Heres my solution for spawnkillers:

hx7sp3.gif

I did this one time when i got angry with spawn campers. If you're "successful" and the pod dies, at least they've learned their lesson..or not, most of the time..

i'm not a bad person, really, but when someone speaks english and after i tell them that exp is shared better at pod and explain to them why, they just ignore me, i just hope they get a Rare mod they were missing before i "kill" the pod...sad, but true.

You see, people that kill at spawn points (i did that in my first week) have no knowledge of the game, they don't read forums and stuff and they either think they help the team by keeping mobs far away (my case), either they think kill count actually counts..

Sometimes i do feel like the game is not very "newbie" friendly..

Had a good defense game today, up until wave 19 that is. Previously we had everything set up perfectly without even talking. Novas stood on boxes, I defended the pod.

Wave 19 hits they start spawnkilling randomly. Lolwut.

That made me laugh haha!

Some one probably got too comfortable and started spawn camping, and then the whole psychological distraction thing happened. 

Mr. aldershot ,such kind words.I can hardly believe how you can keep your calm and be so nice to those brainless baboons in some defence missions that I Stumble upon.

Anyway +1 and I hope everyone reads this,even tho I know there's always gonna be that 12 year old that goes all "MY @(*()$ KILLS YOU SON OF A *@##$ DON'T YOU STEAL THEM *4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4*"

Mr. aldershot ,such kind words.I can hardly believe how you can keep your calm and be so nice to those brainless baboons in some defence missions that I Stumble upon.

Anyway +1 and I hope everyone reads this,even tho I know there's always gonna be that 12 year old that goes all "MY @(*()$ KILLS YOU SON OF A $#*(@ DON'T YOU STEAL THEM *4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4*"

thanks bud! I just try to keep in mind it's just a game and if i want a more organized game, i have some friends on my contact and the clan im in to help with that. I figured i'd share a little insight in hopes that newer players (and old ones with bad habbits) would see this. I know if i saw this before i played it would help quite a bit right off the bat.

I did read the forums and wiki before diving deep into warframe, and hopes to reach people with the same habbits as I.

Edited by aldershot