Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone else feel like we need a Downvote button?

(PSN)aiptekfanboy

Every once in a while I see forum threads and or forum topics that make me say I hope there was a downvote button to make my opinion heard.

As things are now the only results from posting in a thread we dislike is actually bumping the thread and conversley it gets more attention.

For example on another forum when theres a topic that many dislike there is the option to select a downvote button leting others know we dislike the thread topic.

Please excuse my lack of clarity in requesting this as just when I posted this I felt a backtooth crack(i was reading an old thread where someone wanted all advanced guns removed and I guess the anger made my tooth crack...sigh) and thus I am off to the dentist to get help to stop my tooth pain.

Yeah I'd have to disagree on that, threads like that are another person's opinion and just because you or someone else doesn't like it doesn't mean that person should be showered in negative reactions, you could either ignore it or give constructive criticism as to why it's a bad idea or whatever. Mindlessly bashing someone is what leads to people not having any ideas in the real world because they're afraid to share their thoughts thinking it'll just give random strangers a reason to shower them in hate. Hope your tooth gets well soon.

I think it's better the way it is now.

Right now, people have to express their opinion on why they disagree with what's said by OP to have their opinion heard, and some times it's constructive for the thread as a whole.

With a downvote button, people would just press it and then not even bother with actually contributing/interacting with the thread.

Imagine making a thread that you think the community would enjoy, and suddenly it's bombarded with downvotes, but no replies, leaving OP puzzled.

22 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

The possibility to downvote would greatly rise the toxicity of the community. 

The reactions we have right now are good enough..although I would like to a see facepalm reacion without posting

We had one for ages here without problems, now people use the red emoji head instead.

What is the point of letting others know you dislike the topic without actually explain your point of view? Just imagine your thread right here having a bunch of downvotes and you wouldn't know why the downvoters disagree with you. I have lots of experience with forums that have or had the downvote option and it was mainly used as a "I don't like you" button or a way to troll others. There is a guy on one of those forums who constantly gets downvoted just because he is Russian. No, we really don't need a downvote option

Edited by Leyvonne
Typos once again

2 hours ago, Leyvonne said:

What is the point of letting others know you dislike the topic without actually explain your point of view? Just imagine your thread right here having a bunch of downvotes and you wouldn't know why the downvoters disagree with you. I have lots of experience with forums that have or had the downvote option and it was mainly used as a "I don't like you" button or a way to troll others. There is a guy on one of those forums who constantly gets downvoted just because he is Russian. No, we really don't need a downvote option

That already happens, its signs is usually the red head thingy on the right with the haha ones and no responses.

2 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

We had one for ages here without problems, now people use the red emoji head instead.

Actually we only had the downvotes for a rather short period of time.
DE scrapped it because people would go dredging through old posts and spamming down-votes on those posts because they disagreed with one thing that user said and decided to go through and downvote all of that users posts.
Further it stifled conversations and brought way to much of a hivemind into the forums where people weren't posting responses, just mass downvoting things and moving on.

DE wants actual conversations and discussions, not just a storm of downvotes.
Especially when it leads to one bad post getting a new user into negative reputation almost immediately...and then they get ignorred because they have negative reputation and downvoted more and more making it very hard for them to get anyone to pay attention to their ideas even when its a good one with a few people posting "Well you have negative 150 rep, why should we listen?"

So no, having the downvote button did cause quite a few problems during the short time we had it, which is why DE removed it in the first place.

15 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

That already happens, its signs is usually the red head thingy on the right with the haha ones and no responses.

But does it happen as much as it would with an actual downvote button? I had no idea some of the icons had community made up hidden meanings and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Anyway I think that both the community and DE benefit more from seeing actual feedback and the reason behind players' reactions instead of just a massive pile of downvotes.

1 hour ago, Helljack84 said:

This topic clearly shows two things: We really need a downvote and it can't get any more toxic anyway.

Personally, I don't think we need any of the emojis. A glance at the posts in a topic will usually give you a pretty good idea of what the community thinks on said topic. Even the length of a thread can be a pretty good indicator of something interesting going on, whether it be folks hashing out something controversial or just an epic derail. 

As for toxic? Ha. Go check out some of the Blizzard forums. What goes on here at the worst of times doesn't even begin to compare to a slow day on the WoW or, particularly, Diablo forums. 

4 hours ago, (PS4)aiptekfanboy said:

Every once in a while I see forum threads and or forum topics that make me say I hope there was a downvote button to make my opinion heard.

As things are now the only results from posting in a thread we dislike is actually bumping the thread and conversley it gets more attention.

For example on another forum when theres a topic that many dislike there is the option to select a downvote button leting others know we dislike the thread topic.

Please excuse my lack of clarity in requesting this as just when I posted this I felt a backtooth crack(i was reading an old thread where someone wanted all advanced guns removed and I guess the anger made my tooth crack...sigh) and thus I am off to the dentist to get help to stop my tooth pain.

No, I think we need smarter people in the community and devs that's able to either tell everyone to stop crying or listen to the good ideas that would actually fix issues the game have. I think we need less entitled people have access to the forums, so they don't end up sitting and crying about how they think it's unfair how they have to put in time and effort. Just have a look at the daily login rewards, it was a good system with rewards not being tradeable. Everyone had to do exactly the same to get the same rewards, but because a bunch of lazy, entitled whiners started the usual crying, it's getting changed, all because they wanted everything now and without effort. It's sad, in fact it's bordering on pathetic!

7 hours ago, (PS4)aiptekfanboy said:

You're wanting a downvote button to express dislike of a subject, because you don't want to voice your dislike in case it bumps the topic? 

If that's the case, just don't comment...? 

Downvote wouldn't be beneficial because people would stop discussing things. 

10 hours ago, (PS4)aiptekfanboy said:

I understand your point and i feel the same, it ends up feeling as if all threads are good or positive, and to be against it you can only argue and thus make it get more views

but i feel its for the best.
The thing is that most player base doesnt care of even access the forums, but theres way too many Forum Only Lurkers, which the only thing they actually do is to daily make dumb threads and support similar dumb threads, no matter what. 

While I agree, I also disagree. Here's why, the idea of having a down vote button isn't inherently a bad thing, but when used in practice it can heavily swing a forum to being an Echo Chamber of ideas. Rather than getting any sort of meaningful discussion on a topic, the topic is down voted and removed to the point where any dissenting idea against the status quo is never expressed. 

If somebody doesn't want a topic around, they should just not post and thus not give credence to the idea. It's not a hard thing to do, the topic will eventually fall off the top of the list and down through the pages. Those that think the topic has merit will keep it afloat and discussion flowing, regardless of what others may or may not do or think.

I'm still not sure why we have Applause, Upvote, and Like as options.

Nor do I really understand what situations I would use Satisfied or Woah on a post as opposed to one of the others, though using Woah as a downvote doesn't really make a whole lot of sense since it still increases a user's reputation, which someone actually using a Downvote would care about.

That said, I have totally used Haha in an "at you, not with you" sense before.