Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question to developers regarding steam's new "Steam Play" on linux!

GloriousEggroll

On 2018-08-23 at 8:11 AM, rhoenix said:

For my part at least, I will happily move back to Linux when Microsoft's support of windows 7 ends instead of going to windows 10.

It's a personal thing with me, but it's still a thing.

Knowing that it won't take too much in the way of arcane scripting to get Steam and Warframe to work on it is great.  I love seeing posts like the above from the OP.

Windows 10 is amazing. Again, why are so many people hating on it? Seems stupid to me. 

I'm having an interesting issue with the lutris script. When I launch the game, the best I can get is a very small window with a gray background, pictured is that window inside the wine virtual desktop. From what I can tell, a warframe window is launching, closing, and then this one launches. With the right settings, I can get the first window to adjust screen resolution as if it's going to go fullscreen, but it closes before it goes any further. Anyone have any ideas? I'm running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, DXVK is enabled and I've tried multiple wine/DXVK versions.

HheXPpo.png

6 hours ago, JimmieTheApe said:

How is Linux overly complicated?

In order to play games, or do certain things already set up in windows, you require a lot of extra applications and scripting. 

With wf for example you have to use wine on top of a few other things. I just find that when using a computer, it should be quick, painless and mostly automated. 

17 minutes ago, Arniox said:

In order to play games, or do certain things already set up in windows, you require a lot of extra applications and scripting. 

With wf for example you have to use wine on top of a few other things. I just find that when using a computer, it should be quick, painless and mostly automated. 

That depends on the game. What you described isn't much different than the issues some people had when trying to run old DOS games on windows. Native linux games run just as easy as windows and the point of proton is for things to be as smooth as possible for people to play their entire library on linux, however you need to remember proton is still in the early stages. I don't see any other company making strides for linux like valve is doing. Besides microsoft has a monoply and competition is always good.

1 hour ago, JimmieTheApe said:

That depends on the game. What you described isn't much different than the issues some people had when trying to run old DOS games on windows. Native linux games run just as easy as windows and the point of proton is for things to be as smooth as possible for people to play their entire library on linux, however you need to remember proton is still in the early stages. I don't see any other company making strides for linux like valve is doing. Besides microsoft has a monoply and competition is always good.

why not just dual boot? I know most people might find that a hassle, but it's like if I wanted to use a Macintosh for maybe Logic Pro X, I would dual boot. What the linux community is trying really hard to do is force applications from their natural habitat (windows) onto linux which, at the moment, is really inefficient. So I say, why not just dual boot if you really love linux so much?

4 minutes ago, Arniox said:

why not just dual boot? I know most people might find that a hassle, but it's like if I wanted to use a Macintosh for maybe Logic Pro X, I would dual boot. What the linux community is trying really hard to do is force applications from their natural habitat (windows) onto linux which, at the moment, is really inefficient. So I say, why not just dual boot if you really love linux so much?

Why is that a problem? If it runs well enough then I fail to see how that is an issue. Some people don't dual boot out of principle. You also realize that 90% of servers are running linux right? Android is running linux, google servers run linux, etc. 

10 hours ago, Arniox said:

I used to dual boot, but after a while I just grew far too annoyed with having to fix Windows all the time as it really doesn't work well in a dual-boot environment unless you actively make sure to mold the entire rest of the world to its - at times absurd - expectations. The fact that Windows managed to completely wreck its own harddrive during an automated upgrade certainly didn't help with making me want to keep using it.

I do still run Windows in a VM for development reasons though, handing over a graphics card into there is actually a really amazingly simple solution, and it means I don't have to worry about any further issues due to any updates as I can just snapshot the drive. But a VM also means that I have to compromise on plenty of other things.

For me, using Wine/Proton/Steam Play means that I no longer have to waste any of the precious time I have off of work on Windows requiring updating or fixing. Just being able to go home and play a game with friends is quite nice.

On 2018-10-05 at 10:24 AM, Arniox said:

I'll take the bait...
Because space on an SSD drive comes as a premium and money doesn't grow on trees.
Windows takes 20Gb and at every update it grows and grows until there is no more space for anything else (last time it was 90+ Gbs).
Because if you care about security, windows maintenance is a nightmare.
Because Windows UI is outright intrusive.
Because Windows is full of bloatware and terribly slow.
Because I don't want to have to reboot every time I want to play Warframe.
Because try as I might, I could never get rid of fu#$%^& "Smart" Audio.
Because I don't want to be forced to use certain software of dubious utility if I don't want to.
Because if I don't want to restart, the OS assumes I know what I am doing and doesn't force me to restart.
Because I really really like my tiling window manager and Windows doesn't have anything close.
Because even with admin privileges I need a damn tutorial to *delete files I own* and still fail (Like really? Windows is easy to use? You're kidding me right?)
Because I don't want to have to reinstall it every few months or so, particularly since it requires the stupid UEFI crap.

You have no idea what relief was to be able to ditch Windows entirely from my computer.

Edited by xarvh
  • Like 1

Warframe is the LAST reason I have Windows installed on my home PC. I have, according to Steam, 4500h in this game. I've been playing for a long time. The last thing I want is to get banned for not playing on Windows.

I know we have some official word on it, but can we get a 'press release' type deal where that becomes the official position of Digital Extremes? I don't want to have to argue with support for lifting a potential ban caused by this.

I understand that no ban SHOULD happen with the setup mentioned in this thread, but in case it DOES, I want that official stance to be well... official.

Edited by Moghul

@Moghul  It's safe.

On 2018-08-23 at 10:58 PM, GloriousEggroll said:

Let me clarify:
"The long and the short version is that if you are changing .dll files within your computer for your own purposes, there will not be any backlash at all. The time this becomes an issue is if .dll files are changes in the Warframe library"

DXVK and WINE do not modify -any- of Warframe's official files. At all. DXVK translates DirectX calls to Vulkan. WINED3D (The graphics engine used in WINE) translates DirectX calls to OpenGL. None of this happens anywhere near Warframe's game files.

4 minutes ago, xarvh said:

In other news, switched from Lutris to Proton and it works awesome.
Just some audio sputtering and the stupid closes-after-five-minutes-without-a-gamepad things.

Can you elaborate on this please? This just kinda sounds like it doesn't /actually/ work.

Edited by Moghul

@GloriousEggroll made two different ways of playing Warframe under Linux.

The older one is via Lutris: 
1. Install Lutris from https://lutris.net/downloads/
2. "Install" the standalone version of the script: https://lutris.net/games/warframe/ (I haven't tried the "Steam (Windows)" script).

This way is relatively easy, but a bit clunky, and performance is not very good.

The newer way uses Proton, which is a compatibility layer made by Steam and available in Steam Beta: performance is the same as Windows if not better, the only caveat is that you need a gamepad inserted otherwise for some reason Steam kills Warframe after 5 minutes.

1. Opt-in to Steam Beta https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7021-EIAH-8669
2. Ensure your GFX drivers are the very latest. If you are using Ubuntu 18.04 and an Nvidia card you should be set already.

3. Install Wine Staging from https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

4. Follow the installation instructions https://gitlab.com/GloriousEggroll/warframe-linux/tree/steamplay-proton

1 hour ago, xarvh said:

you need a gamepad inserted otherwise for some reason Steam kills Warframe after 5 minutes.

This seems like an 'interesting' bug. Is it strictly a controller (like xbox, or ps4)? Does a bluetooth one work?

I'm asking because while I have an old controller, the cable is a bit frayed and it likes to disconnect occasionally. I might end up having to buy a new controller, and was wondering what worked.

EDIT: You can still M+K even with the gamepad plugged in right?

Edited by Moghul

On 2018-10-04 at 5:55 PM, Arniox said:

Why do so many people here dislike windows? Why use Linux.? It's overly complicated and windows works fine 

Because Windows is a giant spyware package. Microsoft doesn't care one iota about privacy, and their current business practices are anti-consumer. Apple is even worse, especially with their stance on right to repair. This leaves Linux as the only real option if you don't want to support companies that don't care about their customers for anything other than making money.

• Like 2

a native Linux version would be better but the steamProton not run without the script from @GloriousEggroll and this Controller bug is S#&$, i have an PS4 controller with original PS4 Wireless dongle an working realy goot without any driver on Manjaro KDe but when controller goes in standby or off than crashs the game thats realy S#&$

BTW i use Manjaro with KDE Plasma 5 since 4 years only on my pc without any windows partition !! nobody needs this Windows,
Manjaro is the best Linux Distribution and user-friendly for new People in the Linux universe

Edited by LucyDemoon

12 hours ago, Erytroxylin said:

Because Windows is a giant spyware package. Microsoft doesn't care one iota about privacy, and their current business practices are anti-consumer. Apple is even worse, especially with their stance on right to repair. This leaves Linux as the only real option if you don't want to support companies that don't care about their customers for anything other than making money.

Yeah but... I mostly don't care about what windows do. 

Everyone's super scared right now about the privacy stuff, but you could also just ignore it and live with it? 

I don't really care if my os takes my data. I'm fine with that.