Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What if all the planets and locations had accurate gravity?

Spartan336

Well I think it's pretty obvious that if all the planet's and locations had real-life accurate gravity than we'd be soaring up and above skyscrapers with one bullet jump in some cases. But today I want to talk about the two extremes. The Moon and Jupiter. 

If you were a Tenno on the Moon, or Lua in this case, you would just ditch that moonwalk for what is almost flying. But here's a question. Can you reach escape velocity using nothing but the equipment on your deadly metal meet sack? Well no I don't think so. Even with Lua's lost mass from our modern moon it's still 1/4th loss at most, putting it's lowest escape velocity at 1.785KM/S. (Original EV is 2.38KM/S.) However, if you were to grab yourself your fully-modded-for-speed Volt, grab a Tipedo, and switch the parkour system to 1.0, you would be able to cover VAST distances. I'm talking KM's of distance in a single jump! Imagine that in the game. "Oh I'll just get my Volt and jump here OH! Oh... I'm out of the map... Thanks DE." Extraction just became a whole lot easier. 

You know what doesn't make extraction easy? Jupiter. Now I've heard a lot of people say you'd be flattened if you ever came close to Jupiter due to it's immense gravity, but since Jupiter is made out of gas it's actually nowhere near as strong as you might think. Because we're egotistical bastards we set Earth as 1G and used it as a measuring stick to put up against every other planet in our solar system. Despite being MASSIVE, Jupiter's gravity is only 2.53G's. Just one and a half more of what you're currently experiencing. Would that make it harder to stand and do things? Yes. But you, a regular human, could still do most of those things under Jupiter's gravity. (It would, however, be really annoying.) As a Tenno you will be fine. Mostly. You're bullet jump capabilities and running speed are going to be halved, and you might even fall a few feet every time you try and wall run. You'll still stay on the wall and you will have slowed your decent, but you'll be lurching down if you use the same force as you use on Earth. If you take an immobile frame such as Rhino, then you might as well be playing Space COD instead of Space Ninja. 

What do you think about this?

Do you wonder what the gravity of Uranus would be like?

Will you give far more precise and explained answers to this?

Let me know. 

EDIT: I'm not saying this should be a thing in the game. In fact it would be a terrible edition.

Secondly let's ditch the idea of artificial gravity because that's boring. Yes, it's probably whats happening, but it's also boring. 

Edited by Spartan336

Thing is, for game design. Areas with disparaging gravity are difficult to work with as it forces design to center around the new area. It also means making mechanics that flow between the two.

For something like warframe where we have a significant amount of different locations, Actual gravity would be a significantly larger investment into development than would be reasonable.

So as interesting as the concept is, it most assuredly is not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Thing is, for game design. Areas with disparaging gravity are difficult to work with as it forces design to center around the new area. It also means making mechanics that flow between the two.

For something like warframe where we have a significant amount of different locations, Actual gravity would be a significantly larger investment into development than would be reasonable.

So as interesting as the concept is, it most assuredly is not going to happen.

Yeah I'm not suggesting it should happen. This is just a 'What if...' That wont stop me from poking fun at the concept though. 

The difficulty and the "get outta jail free" card here is that we don't know how the planets have been changed. Uranus doesn't have oceans, and Neptune isnt made of snow. The terraforming process done to them will have screwed up their gravity and its just within the Orokins arrogance to have made it all 1g

3 minutes ago, (PS4)EpICFreeDoMZz said:

Surely on a few of the planets our warframes would be crushed under our own weight?

Not unless you hit up the sun. Surprisingly the G's on our 8 planets is pretty low, and rarely ever get's above 1G. Jupiter is still the highest. Now if you were to get into pressure and go to the center of some of these gas giants, than you'd be a crushed tin can in no time. 

As what if?

Ye, fun concept. Especially since, as you said, most have less. Although a planet the size of Nepture and Uranus as a rocky planet (as depicted in-game) would probably be quite a bit more intense, given solids are denser then gases. So that'd be fun to mess around with.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)EpICFreeDoMZz said:

Surely on a few of the planets our warframes would be crushed under our own weight?

Gravity is not that different in our solar system (obviously except the sun). As mentioned by OP, Jupiter has the strongest gravity, and sits at only 2.528G.

I considered this a while back, and thought it would be a neat idea. But honestly, that's about it. In reality, the effort to make gravity realistic relative to which planet you're on probably wouldn't be warranted for the few people who would care/notice. It would be a cool idea IMO, but probably won't happen.

4 minutes ago, davej83 said:

and remember the high tech wf are made.. maybe they use a system to auto balance gravity 

Actually, we know they seem to have something to that effect, which is how they aim glide, wall latch, wall...hop and even bullet jump. We see them light up, have little trails follow their movments and get that weird energy blur in the direction of the force. So they have some limited capacity to shift their momentum and exhibit force in lieu of the Newtonian laws. 

So, I suppose a lower-power version of that might be employed on celestial bodies. I assume it only doesn't work on spaceships and asteroid bases during the Electromagnetic Sortie Modifier because it's artificial gravity to begin with. Or perhaps the Electromagnetic interference messes with the lower-power version.

1 minute ago, swinginman said:

I considered this a while back, and thought it would be a neat idea. But honestly, that's about it. In reality, the effort to make gravity realistic relative to which planet you're on probably wouldn't be warranted for the few people who would care/notice. It would be a cool idea IMO, but probably won't happen.

That depends on the engine, though. In UE4 you can just set the gravity for what you want it to be, and all particles, simulations, physics etc will use it. So if the engine is build with gravity in mind from the start, it would be pretty simple. How fun it would be to play a character crawling across a map is a different matter, of course.

9 minutes ago, rune_me said:

That depends on the engine, though. In UE4 you can just set the gravity for what you want it to be, and all particles, simulations, physics etc will use it. So if the engine is build with gravity in mind from the start, it would be pretty simple. How fun it would be to play a character crawling across a map is a different matter, of course.

DE uses their own proprietary engine, and I'm sure it's capable of easy gravity manipulation. But getting the exact gravitational force for every planet and moon in the star chart, then making it all relative to the current gravity scale would be tedious. And like others have said, Jupiter would become our least favorite planet.

Also, bullet jumping on Pluto would send you into space.

Edited by swinginman

Just now, swinginman said:

DE uses their own proprietary engine, and I'm sure it's capable of easy gravity manipulation. But getting the exact gravitational force for every planet and moon in the star chart, then making it all relative to the current gravity scale would be tedious. And like others have said, Jupiter would become our least favorite planet. 

Yeah but I mean in Unreal Engine, as well as in most 3d software that has particle and fluid sims, the gravity by default is just set to 9.807, which is earth's gravity or 1G. If you wanted it to use Mars' gravity instead, then you just change it to 3.711 (which is Mars' gravitational pull) and all physics will behave as if you were on Mars. Since these particle and physics calculations uses real world physics, it really is as simple as that.

I agree we shouldn't want that because it would be annoying. But since all the equations are readily available to anyone who remembers their physics classes, it really isn't hard to implement.

17 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Yeah but I mean in Unreal Engine, as well as in most 3d software that has particle and fluid sims, the gravity by default is just set to 9.807, which is earth's gravity or 1G. If you wanted it to use Mars' gravity instead, then you just change it to 3.711 (which is Mars' gravitational pull) and all physics will behave as if you were on Mars. Since these particle and physics calculations uses real world physics, it really is as simple as that.

I agree we shouldn't want that because it would be annoying. But since all the equations are readily available to anyone who remembers their physics classes, it really isn't hard to implement.

Warframe but it's in 0G

51 minutes ago, Spartan336 said:

Not unless you hit up the sun. Surprisingly the G's on our 8 planets is pretty low, and rarely ever get's above 1G. Jupiter is still the highest. Now if you were to get into pressure and go to the center of some of these gas giants, than you'd be a crushed tin can in no time. 

Thee miss understanding about our solar system is big in this thread.

Jupiter... ohhh dear Jupiter. Yeah Jupiter is not an ordinary planet. Jupiter is a gas giant as you stated but it doesn't have a surface.

Some scientists say that you require like 70 Jupiter planets to create a Red Dwarf from our Jupiter.

And about Venus? You will fell a crushing gravitation because of the strong winds ~ 300km/h winds. On Venus, 1kg from eath is ~ 900 kg on Venus's suface...

Sooo DE can't create something realistic because if you put the proper physics is impossible.

Edited by Zari2015

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

Yea but the gravity in Warframe isn't 9.8 m/s, it's a lot different to make the game feel right. You would probably need to rework the gravity scale completely, and make everything relative to the current scale. It's not as simple as making the gravity on one planet equal to its real life gravitational pull in meters per seconds. For all we know, DE could be using some unit of gravity that doesn't translate to real life at all. Everything needs to fit into how gravity currently works in Warframe.

Not at all impossible, but probably not worth it for the payoff. Especially considering the logistical problems this idea has.

1 hour ago, Spartan336 said:

Do you wonder what the gravity of Uranus would be like?

no need to wonder, I already know: it's T H I C C.

while it would be interesting, it would also be more work for DE, and not everyone wants to be floating all the time (except maybe all you Zephyr Mains out there.). plus the planets have been greatly changed from how we know them, and if the Orokin can turn Venus into a ball of Ice, they can probably mess with the Gravity as well.

6 minutes ago, Zari2015 said:

And about Venus? You will fell a crushing gravitation because of the strong winds ~ 300km/h winds. On Venus, 1kg from eath is ~ 900 kg on Venus's suface...

No, not at all. The gravity on Venus is 0.904g. Which means 1kg from earth is roughly 0.9kg on Venus. Winds does not increase the weight of objects. If I stood out in a hurricane, I would not become heavier, I would weigh the same as I did if I was safely inside in shelter.

8 minutes ago, swinginman said:

Yea but the gravity in Warframe isn't 9.8 m/s, it's a lot different to make the game feel right.

Yeah that's properly true. But they must have some kind of gravitational unit to calculate their new particle system. Anyways, yeah, it would be a lot of work for them.