Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Intergration Of The Dojo And Map [Now With Dedicated Servers]

theGreatZamboni

EDIT: It has become obvious that a form of dedicated servers would be needed to include parts of the following ideas. The game itself could remain P2P whilst the dojos are hosted by DE. Now with trading and cross-platform play, dedicated servers for dojos has become a must.

4fen.png

Currently we have a very well designed and functional galactic map for the purpose of creating cells and queuing for levels. As of now the dojo is little more than a club house. I propose the unification of these two features in the following way:

When you launch Warframe  for the first time, you are thrown into the galactic map. You can see your Tenno along with other players' Tenno kneeling around the Solar System. The player remains using that HUD until you join a clan. Upon first entering the clan's dojo, you get a small cutscene in which you stand up and the blackness of the galaxy dissipates to reveal the map room of your new dojo. This map room would replace the starting room as the first piece of your dojo. It will also have 6 doors to allow better planning of your dojo's layout. The room would be fairly large with a device in the middle emitting a holo-map of the galaxy. The lights would be dim allowing players to see this very cool effect. But upon interacting with the galactic map, your Tenno kneels and the room fades away as the vastness of space replaces the walls giving us the interface we are familiar with. But added would be features to relay announcements that you are looking to queue with clan-mates for a specific run. You could customize the requirements for entry, altering the announcement to relay messages such as "Looking for X Frame of Y mastery level to run Z". But how would the Tenno receive this message?

In comes further integration of the map and dojo with a wrist holo-device. This device allows players anywhere in the dojo to access the Arsenal, Contacts, Market and Foundry menus; on top of receiving clan alerts/matchmaking notifications. Functioning similar to the full galactic map, but portable and streamlined with the removal of the map. You can queue up loadout changes as well as start foundry projects and purchase from the market place. Any changes made to your loadout will take effect upon visiting the barracks or galactic map. You can pick up completed projects at the dojo's physical foundry or at the galactic map screen. What this serves to do is integrate the features of the galactic map with the physical locations of the dojo, all while persevering convenience and practicality of the galactic map. This also encourages players to join clans and play cooperatively seeing as they get the full experience upon becoming a part of a clan. But this also preserves all the conveniences of what we have now for people who choose not to play with others. With this new integration we would see the removal of the clan key being accessed through the void key menus. Replacing it with a prompt that could say something like "Press X to Stand Up". Upon doing so you get a quicker, less fantastical animation than your first encounter entering the dojo.

The holo-wrist device could use similar animations/graphics as the clan logo or event badges use, but on the wrist. At a glance you see a simplified hologram of the menus on your forearm, with what is projecting it underneath. Upon access, the camera could zoom in on the hologram presenting a simple menu or pull back reveling a HUD similar to Borderlands 2's or Dead Space. For the latter idea, it would be less complex and when viewed by someone else, you are clearly in a menu. Depending on DE's choice it could be more complex and include the whole map in the device, but the idea is to streamline things and create function of the dojo, so this is not ideal. But it's all here-say until the devs actually agree to do this. But this would allow you to gear up and always be ready. When in-game most features would be unavailable except for Contacts.

Another obvious use for the holo-wrist device is for the placement of decorations. Completely streamlining the process, you would no longer need to walk to the panel then walk to the desired spot, to place your piece. You simply open up your holo-wrist device and navigate to the decorations menu. Putting all this functionality into this device serves to make now cumbersome tasks fun and efficient.

Borderlands 2 example

a2fn.jpg

Dead Space example

7230-ds2hardcoretip10png.jpg

What do you guys think? Is this something you would want?

Mapreader.jpg

EDIT : A small idea added recently as an after thought. People keep pitching the idea of a "danger room" ala X-Men. Well in some way or form make your mastery tests take place or make them accessible through the dojo. So this doesn't happen:

qxfv.jpg

The Importance of Dedicated Servers

With trading on the Horizon, the dojo will most undoubtedly be more populated. Meaning a lot of host migration and a lot less trading. There will also undoubtedly be exploits surrounding trading due to dojos being Peer-to-Peer. So what does having dedicated servers mean for Warframe? It means the ability to implement my ideas stated above, it means enhancing the social aspect of the game. It will give people a place to return to. A place to take a break from the grind to change loadouts, start foundry projects and socialize.

With dedicated servers for the dojos you would afford PS4 players the ability to visit more often in spite of the update differences. You could add betting to the Duel rooms, the ability to host small tournaments, set rules and loadouts. It would ensure there is no exploitation of the Trade System. With dedicated servers, larger clans can have everyone enter and leave the dojo as they please, no more caps on the number of players. The Dojo needs to be the HUB of the game. A place removed from the game, but also inclusive of it.

Dueling:

You can host small tournaments, set rewards and stipulations. Even outside of tournaments, the ability to do melee only, set time limits, orb spawns, gravity, these become possibilities with dedicated servers. The ability to walk to the armory to change your loadout and Warframe, all while remaining in the dojo stops host migration and retains the focus on having fun. You could even allow loadout changes in the pre-match setup. You could also offer a Wager system that compliments trading nicely. Letting people bet weapons, credits and materials for victory in the Duel.

Trading:

Trading will become nothing more than a chore without dedicated servers. The possibility for exploits also increases. Having to have a host at all times, just to trade is just tedium. With the trading HUB you can also create a sub menu for people to add to the material vault if they have no preference on what gets finished next. You can also place bets on duels and duel tournaments, offering a variety of ways to earn money. I do understand that this could be exploited, with people purposefully throwing matches, but with prizes being pulled from a pool rather than nowhere, it would hopefully prevent this. With my idea for the danger room, you could also bet on instances that take place there. Defense waves with set stipulations that are voted on, then bet to see how long the team will last. All of this is possible with dedicated servers, things P2P cannot support.

Decorations:

This would allow for more decorations to be placed. Good decoration placement can transform a room. I remember when I walked into my clan's duel room and swore the tile was updated. Turns out our glorious leader had a keen eye for interior decor and the room looked great as a result. We had to delete our entire drum set for the new Statue this past event, that kind of thing could be avoided if we had dedicated servers that allowed for more placement of decorations.

Edited by theGreatZamboni

ill be dead honest.

Reminding me of borderlands made me wanna go pandora again.

reminding me of deadspace, made me wanna play with plasma cutter again.

I need to get back to some other games now and then....

Back to OP.

As Far as idea is generaly well designed and presented, ima Upvote to bring it to DE attention.

however, who will be hosting "background dojo" all the time?

Hey i know, dedicated servers...

Wait... 

ill be dead honest.

Back to OP.

As Far as idea is generaly well designed and presented, ima Upvote to bring it to DE attention.

Wait... 

My ideas... ;~; you are completely correct

ill be dead honest.

Back to OP.

Wait... 

Do you have any ideas on how we could get around this?

Do you have any ideas on how we could get around this?

Yea, dedicated server.

I would love to see implementation of ideas like yours.

Ideas of social hubs.

Ideas of bigger raids groups fighting more enemies.

Ideas of open-world areas.

but aside of dedicated server, I do not know how this could work. Look how many lag-related issues we have now...

Now, dear DE, I promise to you ,for Tenno sake...

if I win in lottery, I'll get us that server.

Edited by PiotrGracz

while this have been said a few times before I do like it so here take a +1.

On the dedicated server part: yes please!

this would open up alot of possibilities as well - dojo getting attacked = the clan defends (more then 4 players)

It seems unavoidable. At least in regards to making the dojo actually something other than a club house no one wants to hang out in. P2P will suffice for the actual game, allowing the hosting of just dojos to be more reasonable since its all that is being hosted.

Map room seems nice, as for the rest ... well not so great imo. Map room where you see other clan members locations ( ur warlord on the mission, so you enter dojo, go to the map room and you have this cool useless but cool option to see where he is). Map room should fit WF universe but it also need to have any functionality. 

Map room seems nice, as for the rest ... well not so great imo. Map room where you see other clan members locations ( ur warlord on the mission, so you enter dojo, go to the map room and you have this cool useless but cool option to see where he is). Map room should fit WF universe but it also need to have any functionality. 

I think are you are missing the point. But ok.

I think that:

Its impractical.

i mean cmon, im already annoyed by running trough 6 hallways to reach room in dojo...

i agreed and that is why in the post a little down the page i updated it so that it wasn't so impractical. i guess maybe i just need to update the main post so that people see it.

I just realized the way Tenno use zip-lines is odd. You could add a retractable hook to the writ-device I pitched. (An idea I am using to bump the thread.)

Here, take my bump. But please, please show me a relation between your idea and idea of retractable hook device? 

(for bump sake!)

I have a few ideas (it's all text right now sorry, but read through anyway) in this thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/105218-mapinventoryfoundryarsenal-should-be-available-in-dojo/

I like the idea of making the map (and the arsenal and foundry/inventory) available in the dojo. Makes the dojo more functional to combine things like that. It also provides a lot more context as to where the tenno are and why they're kneeling around a holo-map. For players without a clan it could be in a small ship (about the size as that little round grineer room with the glowing green generator thing that sits just off a corridor. usually just has some containers and lockers inside) with some windows, what looks like a pilot seat and controls, the map in the middle, warframe chamber, weapon bay, foundry and training room all in or adjacent to this little control room. in dojos this would all be scaled much bigger/be in separate rooms.