The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Mouse and some other controls stop working if game is launched with controller plugged in (steam)

Aure7

The game then starts up what seems to be "controller mode" and unlike other steam games, blocks mouse clicks and some other stuff, forcing me to use the controller. This in turn forces me to close the game and restart it without controller plugged in since I play with mouse and keyboard.

I am using Xbox One PC controller through USB with native steam support for controllers.

Are you using Big Picture Mode? Warframe's always treated launching from BPM and desktop separately. It used to be BPM was more of a gamepad mode, desktop more of a PC mode, it should be unified now, but it's not 100%, for some reason I know for sure BPM is blocking PC inputs, desktop mode should be more gracefully switching modes though. Honestly I wish they'd remove the BPM difference all together it's a deprecated thing that doesn't need to exist any longer.

So, i've been struggling with this issue for a few hours. Initially I unplugged the gamepad, but having to plug/unplug constantly a device is absolutely infuriating when wanting to play other games.

I've found a workaround for this bug, but I don't know if it'll work for an XB1 controller (I'm using a steam controller). So, go to your Steam settings, in "In-game" section, you will find a checkbox labelled "Use the Big Picture Overlay when using a Steam Input enabled controller from the desktop". This is checked by default; uncheck this box, and hopefully you may be able to use your keyboard/mouse in the UI.

This is not a perfect solution as it is a global setting, but unless DE finally fixes this long standing (2+ years from what I've found) issue, this is all we have.

• 1 month later...

It would be really good, if DE could allow simultaneous mouse and controller input.

First, I could play around menus using mouse, instead of controller when I have both in front of me. If for example, batteries go out in the controller, I can't click "Exit game" using mouse.

Second, it isn't possible to create usable steam controller layout as I can't turn right touchpad to mouse input in menus. It would be actually usable to navigate menus if the mouse would work.

That said, I do accept that keys and buttons in menu action labels show controller or keyboard icons.

Thank guys!

• 1 month later...

Hey I'd like to bump this issue. I love my steam controller and I really love games with simultaneous controller and kbm support. Actually even if you don't do this, just make the kbm controls accessible using big picture mode with the controller plugged in is just fine.