Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Increased graphical stuttering during playtime. Need help! - Unresolved

UlgrimUnpleasant

NOTE: Believe the issue may be resolved (need to test a few days). Steps taken in my final post.

NOTE *2018/09/29: 411.70 drivers installed (default). No change.

NOTE *2018/09/10: Got some time to test out with 385.69, still no luck, game slows and gets choppy. No other game experiencing the same issue that I play ;(. Might have to bite the bullet and install an older version of Windows 10. If anyone thinks of more things to try please let me know, the game is unplayable at this point.

NOTE *2018/09/05: Issue looking to be solved with the driver and method I mention in a later post related to driver: 385.69 if you want to jump to a potential fix.

Hi all,

Wrote this earlier thinking i'd found my solution but sadly I've jumped back in tonight and the issue is back ;(.

So I'm having an issue that's relatively to reproduce by going into the plains of Eidolon. It's buttery smooth and then 10 - 20 minutes later frames will begin dropping (mini graphics freezes) every 2 - 3 seconds endlessly. Only way to resolve would be an entire system reboot. Doesn't seem to effect any other game but perhaps Warframe is just more susceptible to it.

I've tried

• Game Restarts.
  • Disabling directx 10 or 11 and leaving the other on in warframe settings.
  • Disabling Multi Threaded Rendering in Warframe.
  • Setting physx to be GPU and not auto.
  • Optmising Warframe Cache
  • Tried clean installing the Nvidia drivers.
  • Rebooting.
  • Reseating cards.
  • Running the full Memtest86 for memory issues.
  • Disabling GSync (this helped performance a bit but the stuttering kept happening).
  • Removing tools that monitor GPU power (gpu tweak etc) as per directions from Nvidia notes.
  • Disabling 64bit for Warframe
  • Removed Geforce Experience

Anyone got any other ideas?

Systems tested:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
  • 16GB 3200 DDR4 memory Trident Z RGB
  • Asus ROG Strix x470-f Motherboard
  • Asus Rog Strix GTX1080
  • Windows 10 Pro (latest updates: 1803)
  • Nvidia Drivers 399.07, 398.82, 388.59, 385.69

• Intel i7 8700k
  • 16GB 3200 DDR4 memory Trident Z RGB
  • Asus ROG Strix z370-f Motherboard
  • Asus Rog Strix GTX1080
  • Nvidia Drivers 399.07, 398.82, 388.59, 385.69

Edited by UlgrimUnpleasant
Issues resolved.

Hi UlgrimUnpleasant,

Just a few things. Do you happen to see this while playing solo or just in multiplayer? Some users on these forums have been reporting issues with multiplayer performance, which we are currently in the process of investigating.

17 hours ago, UlgrimUnpleasant said:

I've tried

• Optimizing* Warframe Cache

Did you verify your cache as well? This is important as verifying can track down any missing or corrupt game files that could lead to issues such as stuttering.

--

As for other suggestions, you might want to make sure that your Nvidia GPU is set to Prefer maximum performance and not Optimal power. We have seen reports in the past that this can improve performance for some players.

NvidiaPower011.png.390d39264d4f88a9ca1c1312d143634f.png

Also, can you please try ruling out the possibility of this being caused by one of your background processes?

1. Press Windows key and R key on your keyboard at the same time
2. In the new Run window popped up, type `msconfig`, and hit Enter
3. On the General tab of the System configuration window, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
Note: This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

When you boot your computer in Selective Startup, you are disabling every application that normally starts up with your computer. This may include firewall and security software that you would normally want to have on. After you are finished testing, you should re-enable your security software in msconfig.exe. Please follow these steps to reset the computer to start normally.

1. Please press Windows key and R key on your keyboard at the same time
2. In the new Run window popped up, type `msconfig`, and hit Enter
3. On the General tab of the System configuration window, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
4. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Let us know if you notice any improvement after having tested these suggestions. Thanks!

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

Thanks so much for the suggestions you two. Currently working my way through.

Physx has been set back and rebooted, no change.

Tried just solo queuing and leaving my guy in the plains for an hour. Problem reared it's head again. It definitely gets worse the longer it sits in the plains.

I saw a group mentioning using Empty Standby List to clear the Windows Standby Cache but no luck on that either.

Going to try the system with all non-microsoft services disabled now as suggested.

Edit: also changed the power management to maximum performance on the GPU

added additional point

Tried with all non-microsoft services off and turned on things as were required (Steam Client Services as an example) with the hopes of booting up warframe. Warframe opened, allowed login but every time the character tries to stand up from kneeling it would immediately close. Tried another reboot, same thing. Turned all the services back on and rebooted and it works again... not sure what Warframe needs in the way of a service to have a character stand up in his ship but it was a little odd lol.

My latest test is going back to nvidia driver 388.59 (found a thread on nvidia's own site noting this driver was recommended to fall back to if you suffer from graphical stuttering). 30 minutes of it and it's been perfect but sadly it's nearly 2am and I have to sleep X-D, so not a conclusive test. Will continue tomorrow and let you know whether it made a difference.

Thanks again for your assistance guys.

1 1/2 hours just idling in the plains and another 1 hour playing with people with no stutter. Seems to be a driver issue then.

399.07 and 398.82 definitely both showing the issue for me.

Dmitri I guess if anyone else has the problem tell them to try 388.59 (dec 7 driver available off the nvidia site).

I'll update this if the issue returns in further play but for now I'll mark this as solved. Again thanks for your help.

EDIT: Wanted to work my way forward in drivers because obviously there are benefits to using newer drivers for optimisations and fixes etc. 397.64 working without issues (that's at least a driver from May of this year so that's positive). Smoother overall performance on this one that 388.59.

Additional driver tested

Alright so 397.64 works better than 399.07 and 398.82 but it does visually get slower and slower and the longer you play, even though the framerate counter stays high.

Going through numerous drivers I've found the one that works to maintain framerate, visual smoothness and no stuttering. That driver is : 385.69

Method to install:

• Use DDU in safemode to remove existing drivers. Go into the options for it and make sure windows doesn't try to download/install drivers on its own.
  • Once complete and you're back into windows open the nvidia driver installer for 385.69 and only install the Driver and HD Audio (assuming you need it).
  • After install I disabled g-sync entirely and made sure physx was set to auto.
  • Reboot.

Works perfectly so far in extended sessions in Warframe and Rainbow 6 siege (though rainbow will warn you the driver isn't supported, just ignore it).

I'll be adding geforce experience to the picture probably tonight to see if that negatively effects things. Will post an update for those who are also having stuttering issues.

• 4 weeks later...

So after uninstalling the realtec stuff I didn't have any luck. But I have had success in resolving the issue.

I found my Windows 10 iso today (Build 1511) and installed from scratch and did the following:

• Unplugged the network cable, disabled and stopped the Windows Update service immediately, replugged cable
  • Installed LAN drivers from USB (honestly windows 10 couldn't make the motherboard NIC work without this)
  • Installed Firefox
  • Installed Nvidia Video Drivers 411.70 (no 3d, no hd audio checked)
  • Installed .net framework from Windows 10 media
  • Installed Steam
  • Installed Warframe
  • Installed Battle.net
  • Installed Destiny 2
  • Installed Discord
  • Installed VLC

Warframe was perfect, display time at a solid 6.96ms. Played Destiny 2 for 90 minutes with a mate, at this point usually Warframe would be in a state that is close to unplayable. Loaded up Warframe and still 6.96ms solid, no variation at all. No stutters. It's beautiful.

As I install more things I'll pay attention to what breaks it again but at this point my bet is on the latest Windows cumulative update or a bugged Asus driver.

If the situation changes over my testing the next few days I'll post the info.

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Reopened a 2nd time and I'm back to 144fps and 6.96ms... Makes no sense at all. Well at least there aren't stutters.

What happened in the last few days DE? Just the PC Server upgrades?? I haven't changed a single thing since I made my stutters go away (out of fear they'd come back) and my "Time" value (Frame Time) has been on a solid 6.96ms on my ship.... until today.

Today it's 3.7ms!!! and my framerate is over 200fps.

You guys figured out some big bug in the engine and resolved it? Draw time to screen is based on your servers somehow? I'm super perplexed here, what exactly did you do to improve this? Anyone see patch notes that explain this in the last 3 days? It's such a huge change out of thin air.

Maybe I'll be able to have a version of Windows 10 newer that build 1511 X-D

Back to "Normal"

Hi UlgrimUnpleasant,

I've been following your post as I am having a similar issue. Earlier this year, I built a new system with:

• Intel i7 8700k
  • 32 GB 3200 DDR4 memory Corsair Vengeance RGB
  • Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Motherboard
  • Galax Geforce GTX1080 ti
  • Latest Nvidia driver

I've been doing some testing myself and got some temporary success in alleviating the problem. Just wondering if you could just help in testing out something if you don't mind. Btw, is your RAM overclocked or at stock speed?

• 2 weeks later...