[DE]Connor

Dev Workshop: Nezha Revisited

Like every single rework, this sounds to me like old Sumerian language.

It doesn't sound bad but I need the feel of it, try it with my own hands.

Many are enthusiast about Firewalker not being channeled anymore, which I'm not, and I'm also wondering how Pyroclastic Flow will work.

6 hours ago, gehbeh said:

yes his augment will be less effective now, but which would you rather have; a squishy teammate that takes 100% of incoming damage or 10%? I'd say the answer is fairly straightforward, even if it's weaker than what we're used to. 

75 energy per shield. We'll be casting it alot more than previously it was already too weak on team mates so to see it get weaker is sad. You can build efficiency but then you need to offset the duration costs. Which then eats up mod slots just to break even on the other abilities.

I want to see Warding Halo + safeguard remain the same or buff the amount of damage the shield can absorb especially with the augment.

Il y a 16 heures, [DE]Connor a dit :

Warding Halo now only blocks 90% of damage taken. Will still block status effects and other procs.

• Why? When considering Nezha’s revamped kit, he is excellent at mitigating enemy damage - Firewalker and Divine Spears offer great area/crowd control, Blazing Chakram offers healing and self-sustain, and his outstanding movement can make the player a hard target to hit. In this context, Warding Halo’s 100% damage resistance was completely overshadowing his other options - why heal or CC when I never take any damage?

i'm concerned by this, for the rest of it very good revamp of nezha, can't wait

16 hours ago, [DE]Connor said:

-Snip-

Wonderful Rework so far Mr.Conor!

I do have some suggestions tho to really help this rework shine!:

Pyroclastic Flow/Reaping Chakram & Safeguard:

The listed augments are now added to his normal kit: Why?

I feel that the listed Augs are too much of a clutch Band-aid to add as Aug's, making modding much harder for players alike, Augs should be nieces or complete game changers, not something that fixes what should have been part of his kit.

New Passive: Hearth

• When Nezha is hit by a Fire Proc, it Heals him for a % amount (It also deals no damage outside of Halo)
  • Has a 50% chance that enemies that attack him will be set ablaze!
  • Overall Fire Damage is boosted & keeps boosting to a % when each enemy is set ablaze!
  • Has a maxed out Firewalker to his Bullet Jump (As well the old one)

All I have right now!

U Uh! Cannot wait for this rework. It sounds like such a pleasure to play. Seems it is finaly time to play Nezha after just MRing him.

Nice work,not a big nezha fan but might give him a propper try after this.Can Pablo just be present on all reworks and rate them with a yes or no? Ezample that come to mind would be :Nyx,Wukong,Vauban would love to see this amount of effort in them :).

I am very interested now that Nezha is getting some tweaks that seem to make his abilities work so much better together. Please have a look at Wukong too, as both are today not really played warframes.

In my own case... I think it's time to go build Nezha.

1 hour ago, (PS4)OmegaSlayer said:

Like every single rework, this sounds to me like old Sumerian language.

It doesn't sound bad but I need the feel of it, try it with my own hands.

Many are enthusiast about Firewalker not being channeled anymore, which I'm not, and I'm also wondering how Pyroclastic Flow will work.

Yeah waiting till you get your hands on it is the best option, but most people don't work like that.

• Like 1

This is a very substantial buff. The 90% reduction is huge for opening up more modding options as well as increasing how long halo lasts on the player (The shield recieves 10% less damage now) Which is great as halo isnt just a damage absorb but also provides bonuses while its up.

Overall this is a massive change... maybe too massive, I feel nezha might become a better rhino.

The fire walker changes are nice and all but it still does basically nothing against high level enemies(except for a brief stun). Please make the damage scalable! And make pyroclastic flow into a cone like spread.. a straight line makes no sense 😞

Edited by ArunJako
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sasuda said:

His 4th just doesn't do enough damage fast enough in a large enough area to justify either. It's a more viable pick among the 2 as being good to spam but it's only going to be for very low levels  and emergencies where it could come in handy, but in those sticky emergency situations, you'll rather be turning to Warding Halo first for the protection and healing up again right after. And you wouldn't need the energy because it's already being dropped.

Well, three things:

One, as addressed in another reply to me, this doesn't only buff Nezha in this regard. He can also now use Arcane Guardian, Arcane Avenger, Arcane Grace, and Arcane Barrier (if for some reason you wanted to), and there's absolutely nothing wrong with also being able to regen energy even if you won't always need it.

The other thing is that you're talking about his 4 like it's some kind of damage ability, but it isn't. The reason you would want to be able to re-cast his 4 often is because it's a CC ability, where you have to recast it to CC new enemies that have entered your radius since the last time you cast it, or when you move to a new location. Being able to recast it more often will make him more effective and consistent at CCing enemies.

Also, Safeguard would interrupt OTHER allies who relied on things like Hunter Adrenaline or on-hit Arcanes and effects for certain things, and this will no longer be a problem for them.

Overall, it un#*!%s a lot about Warding Halo, and the only negative is that you don't have what is effectively permanent godmode on a frame that already has plenty of other good abilities, which I think you can get over. 

Edited by Glyphicality

I can't wait to test this, it looks super dynamic !  But when I see the speed at which the blazing chakram charges, I can't stop thinking about Vauban and the rework he had... will he see some other changes ? Cause he feels left behind

Do you know dear DE that Gara, can use her 2 on allies with no health bar restriction and give them 90% DR, while also doing CC? so now you are making nezha a worse gara. Think about the augment of warding halo... you are giving the 90% DR with half of the health restriction that you have... Right now we have Gara that can do that better... and with the new augment gara can also heal a lot... Just take 1 week or even more to think about what nezha should have in his kit...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ArunJako said:

The fire walker changes are nice and all but it still does basically nothing against high level enemies(except for a brief stun). Please make the damage scalable! And make pyroclastic flow into a cone like spread.. a straight line makes no sense 😞

I agree on this 100%

May you give fire walker a wider aoe path or let the fire easily chain and give it the mechanic to knock enemies down or give them a longer stagger effect? At the moment, it's really dangerous and annoying to run directly into enemies just so the trail can put them on fire. Widening the AOE (or giving a chaining effect similar to how khora's 1, 2 and 4 chain well even around corners) would allow you to more easily put groups on fire and the longer stagger effect will still make the ability useful when the damage becomes useless in the high levels.

This would also add to his survivability since you can make quick runs pass groups of enemies to cc them, which can help in your support of reducing warding Halo to 90%. Because in endurance runs (especially survival), you have to camp for more protection and (in the survival game mode) so that enough enemies come to you at a good rate to often drop life batteries... And having to accurately run into an enemy to only set 1-2 on fire is risky and annoying in my opinion. The move would be good if enemies usually came to you in a straight line but instead they're usually spread out across the room. 

When making abilities, I ask that you also think of how they would be useful when the enemies are lvl 150+ and have so much armor or hp that flat damage abilities fall off and when it's easy for a hoard of those high levels to quickly and easily kill you with a few shots. Nidus and Saryn's abilities are still good even if the enemies are lvl 300+. Their individual synergies were beautifully crafted and so I trust that [DE]Pablo can hopefully do the same for Nezha

Looks pretty great!

To the 1 change skeptics-

They mentioned long duration in the post. I'll take Loki invis duration in return for not turning off energy regen abilities!

Also... How *will* his 1 augment work?

A toggle on a cast+duration ability?

2 sounds fun, as long as the projectile AI works out properly, especially if it can Cascade when hitting speared enemies.

Free orbs to power health/energy conversion alone is nice.

The rest of the kit changes look glorious. The invuln on 3 running out of hp is a nice fix to getting one-shot through it... And do I detect actual gating potential there? Wondering if it still has the slash aura.

As someone who resorted to hema + broken scepter in an attempt to make nezha better at high levels, being able to generate orbs *and* lose small amounts of hp is a huge qol improvement. 

Will his 3 augment still allow sharing?

Shareable 90% DR that blocks status...

For effectiveness skeptics- try out Nova without 1 and then with a 300+% duration 1. As written it'll be like that, except with invuln on heavy damage, the DR not peeling off to explode on enemies, and more armor/hp.

Hail the death of unnecessary smashing! Tell Becky.

Edited by Ghostcart

PLEASE, please, please, do something about Warding Halo's VISUALS.  You have got to see how incredibly irritating it is having a blazing energy band constantly sweeping over a large portion of your screen.  There's no reason this always-on ability needs to be so visually noisy, and even more so since Safeguard Nezhas can slap one on you at will with their typically bright energy color and there's nothing you can do about it but wait for it to expire and hope they don't notice right away.  I can't use energy colors I want on my Nezha because I have to mitigate Halo's nuisance visuals, and that really should not be such an issue.

16 minutes ago, TyrianMollusk said:

PLEASE, please, please, do something about Warding Halo's VISUALS.  You have got to see how incredibly irritating it is having a blazing energy band constantly sweeping over a large portion of your screen.  There's no reason this always-on ability needs to be so visually noisy, and even more so since Safeguard Nezhas can slap one on you at will with their typically bright energy color and there's nothing you can do about it but wait for it to expire and hope they don't notice right away.  I can't use energy colors I want on my Nezha because I have to mitigate Halo's nuisance visuals, and that really should not be such an issue.

If you turn down a setting (particles?) It becomes a simple waist height band.

Would be nice to have a toggle on that somehow though.

@ShockBurst

How are you modding with current nezha that you can't surround a camping zone with 1 trail? It lasts for ages in my builds... Just do a couple laps and it's everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Let the Blazing Chakram and Devine Spears interaction make a room full of chakrams, or have a cap on how many it can make. A room full of chakrams would only be "broken" in low level content. Overall, looking forward to the rework!

With the HUD changes for abilities happening, we are going to get one for Rhino's Iron Skin?

Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of Nezha.
The aesthetic doesn't speak to me, and I find his kit to be individually sub-par compared to the competition, and the gestalt doesn't elevate it enough to counter that.

That said, these changes took amazing overall.
And I love that context/rationale is given with all the changes. Thank you for that.

Going through the changes, section by section:
FIRE WALKER

21 hours ago, [DE]Connor said:
  • Changed from a channeling ability to duration-based.
    • Why? As a channeled ability, keeping Firewalker active would block all energy regeneration. Making the ability a single cast with a long moddable duration solves that problem, encouraging more frequent use. I'm fine with this, as unlike some- increased duration works with all of his kit.
  • Cast animation changed to a small hop that doesn’t restrict movement.  Honestly, not a big deal - you just do a small jump in the direction you're going, and you can cast it in the air without restricting your movement. Same as, e.g. Loki's invis. That said, not needing a workaround is certainly nice.

BLAZING CHAKRAM

• Cast animation has been sped up, and no longer restricts movement. A big fan of this, as BC couldn't be cast while airborne.
  • Enemies hit by the disc are “marked” for a moddable duration, greatly increasing the damage they take from all sources. Marked enemies have a chance to drop energy orbs.
    • Why? Adds great team value to Nezha’s kit - increasing damage taken helps all allies, and energy orb drops enable frequent recasting.
  • Killing enemies while they are marked will now produce healing orbs, instead of the current healing pulse.
    • Why? The current radial heal is invisible and very small, usually only benefitting players in melee range - most players don’t even know it’s there! Health orbs make the result more visible, while introducing other mod synergies.
  • I like this set of changes. Like basically all non-scaling/flat amount nukes, BC's not effective at that, and the heal - as you say - was fairly unusable outside of melee aficionados. The change to health orbs solves that, as well as - again, as you say - potentially opening up orb-based interactions. Not that I see that happening widely, as I believe the crowd for that's pretty niche, but it's new possibilities without much of a downside. (On paper, you lose 200 base health per heal... but that presupposes that you were actually in range for the heal in the first place. 25 > 0.)
  • Increased the number of targets the disc will try to hit before recalling, and improved some cases of faulty lock-on targeting. Alright. Any chance this improvement'll apply to glaives more generally, if applicable?
  • Added a charged throw, causing the Chakram to fly straight forwards and backwards, dealing extra damage to enemies in its path.
    • Why? For a consistent flight path unaffected by lock-on targeting, use the new charged throw. Great for hallways! This is cool, and expands player options at no cost. I heartily approve.
  • Teleporting will no longer cancel Fire Walker. This is wonderful. That was never a beneficial mechanic, imo.

WARDING HALO

• HUD now shows a custom counter, indicating how much damage absorption is left, instead of a simple numeric percentage Cool. :)
  • Warding Halo now only blocks 90% of damage taken. Will still block status effects and other procs.
    • Why? When considering Nezha’s revamped kit, he is excellent at mitigating enemy damage - Firewalker and Divine Spears offer great area/crowd control, Blazing Chakram offers healing and self-sustain, and his outstanding movement can make the player a hard target to hit. In this context, Warding Halo’s 100% damage resistance was completely overshadowing his other options - why heal or CC when I never take any damage?
      With 90% damage resistance, Nezha is still very capable of tanking, but encouraged to rely on his other tools to avoid getting overwhelmed. Taking minimal health damage allows for synergy with Blazing Chakram’s health orbs, not to mention new modding avenues like Equilibrium, Health Conversion and various Arcanes. The change also allows us to improve survivability in other ways, such as the increased health pool, and major Warding Halo quality-of-life buffs listed below. I get the logic. Thanks for explaining. Will have to see how it works out in play before I have a founded opinion.
  • Damage absorption invulnerability phase now begins as soon as you cast the ability. Cast animation also sped up. Cool, thanks.
  • Increased incoming damage multiplier during invulnerability. Damage absorption multiplier also now scales with power strength. Double-dipping on Power str? Between the reduction to 90% effect and being innately weaker than Iron Skin, I'd say this works both to reward more power str on Nezha (It's honestly a dump-stat atm, imo) and to differentiate a bit more from Rhino.
  • When the health of the Warding Halo runs out, it will do an AoE heat status effect and give you a short period of invulnerability. This, right here? This is stellar. Granted, it's not perfect coverage, (current animation will override new animations, same as ever,) but yeah, this is huge - even if only because it lets you ease off on Power Range since you no longer have to rely on Div Spears to cover the vulnerable window.
    • Why? This gives the player precious time to react, helping survivability while controlling the enemies immediately around you. Your next Warding Halo can be recast during this window to ensure you’re always protected!

(Brief aside: as a Nezha main, I was originally skeptical of the 90% damage resistance change, and I suspect many readers will be skeptical too. However, playing the rework myself quickly changed my mind. The various buffs really outweigh the negatives, making Nezha much more capable in a supporting crowd-controller role. If you doubt just how potent 90% damage resistance can be, try out Gara’s Splinter Storm at 130% or more power strength!)
I am, but as I said, I understand that logic presented, and am willing to hold off judgement until I see it in action.

DIVINE SPEARS

22 hours ago, [DE]Connor said:
  • Sped up the casting/slamming animations, Glad to see this. The self-CC was too long, or the effect was undertuned, imo. while removing the mandatory slam at the end of the Spears’ duration. (slam can still be triggered manually) Awesome.
  • Hitting a speared enemy with Blazing Chakram produces a second Chakram, which fires at a nearby enemy. Honestly, I don't see either a need or a point to this. I mean, getting a non number-increase power interaction, and one that improves your Chakram buff coverage is certainly nice, but this kinda feels like buff for the sake of interaction, which just pushes power creep. Maybe that's just me.

Obviously, I haven't tried this yet, but at a glance, I'd say these changes hit it out of the park.
Well done.