Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How about we fix focus instead of nerfing AoE'ers?

Almagnus1

So, one of the big reasons why people don't like AoE'ers is that they can make things unfun for others in the group.

That said, one of the reasons why people play AoE'ers is so that they can do focus farming because the passive focus rates need to be doubled (or possibly increased further).

So instead of going on a crusade to nerf yet another AoE'er, why don't we fix the focus gains instead?

Making a long-term goal into a very short-term grindfest is not a solution. This still wouldn't change the behaviour of people who would just AoE and forget. How would that not just make AoE nuking more attractive, with 2x+ Focus gains?

AoE nuke and forget is something DE is seemingly trying to move away from. Those nerfs would already be on the table, Focus farmers or not.

9 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Making a long-term goal into a very short-term grindfest is not a solution. This still wouldn't change the behaviour of people who would just AoE and forget. How would that not just make AoE nuking more attractive, with 2x+ Focus gains?

AoE nuke and forget is something DE is seemingly trying to move away from. Those nerfs would already be on the table, Focus farmers or not.

Indeed. And its not like AoE warframes are used with focus farming exclusively.

It changes nothing.

2 hours ago, Airwolfen said:

Indeed. And its not like AoE warframes are used with focus farming exclusively.

It changes nothing.

Eh, IMO if you increase passive focus gain (so it's easier to hit the daily cap like how Syndicates work), there's going to be less demand for people playing AoE Frames as people (like me) are going to go with something that's either a favorite (like Excal Umbra or Inaros) or go with whatever makes the most sense for the mission as there's no need to continue to do the active focus grind.  Either that or give us passive focus gain of like 10k* MR that we can gain based off of affinity that will be gained however we choose, and have it as easy to get that cap as it is to get the syndicate faction to the daily cap.

At this point, I really don't want to feel like I'm being forced into nuking the map just to get the focus grind because DE screwed up the passive focus gains so I'm left feeling like the only realistic way to get daily focus is to nuke the map for a mission or two and get there.

Edited by Almagnus1

You can still get daily focus cap by going onslaught without AoE in a 4-man squad with Vazarin affinity range boost. I sometimes go to ESO to test the mass murdering potential of a weapon build, alone for maybe 4 rounds.

I just don't see why people wouldn't use AoErs for focus unless they were nerfed, because they're the best way to gain it. If you made line of sight condition for all AoE there would be less crying for nerfs.

12 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

So, one of the big reasons why people don't like AoE'ers is that they can make things unfun for others in the group.

That said, one of the reasons why people play AoE'ers is so that they can do focus farming because the passive focus rates need to be doubled (or possibly increased further).

So instead of going on a crusade to nerf yet another AoE'er, why don't we fix the focus gains instead? 

Are you talking about the entire game, or only about ESO? If you have the entire game in mind, this assumption is simply wrong. AoE Frames are popular, because they speed up missions that require killing. Capture or spy are dominated by fast Frames; something like MobDef by hard CC.

Bad Focus acquisition is also nothing new, DE gimped it with the introduction of "greed orbs". Am I for a change, yes, but not due to reason you provide here.

I get my cap of 300,000 daily and I don't use AoE. Y'all just have horrible setups, I can make my cap in 3 hours because I understand focus 😂😂 all you do is put lenses on a Warframe weapon and melee. If you don't have one on a Warframe and weapon your stupid. Your losing half of your focus, oh and you can't complain about other people killing things because if you don't know this you get affinity also and fir everything you have on. Get more lenses and stop complaining, I'm only 52 days into this game and I've already surpassed most 5 yearers haha

11 hours ago, (XB1)WhatToDo94 said:

I get my cap of 300,000 daily and I don't use AoE. Y'all just have horrible setups, I can make my cap in 3 hours because I understand focus 😂😂 all you do is put lenses on a Warframe weapon and melee. If you don't have one on a Warframe and weapon your stupid. Your losing half of your focus, oh and you can't complain about other people killing things because if you don't know this you get affinity also and fir everything you have on. Get more lenses and stop complaining, I'm only 52 days into this game and I've already surpassed most 5 yearers haha

Oh, this should prove amusing....

So while I know about using Eidolon lenses would greatly help things, I'm also not going to waste resources and time to use them like I do the greater lenses, but instead put them on a focus grinding setup that I enjoy playing (which I haven't found yet).  So given:

Xl1q5nc.png

How should I do it right?

Edited by Almagnus1

15 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Oh, this should prove amusing....

So while I know about using Eidolon lenses would greatly help things, I'm also not going to waste resources and time to use them like I do the greater lenses, but instead put them on a focus grinding setup that I enjoy playing (which I haven't found yet).  So given:

Xl1q5nc.png

Glad I'm not the only one...I think I have 30 of each lens....greater e.e

17 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

For one, stop spreading your Focus about and concentrate your efforts.

I maxed Focus earlier this year, I did it with a single frame and single weapon, switching out a single Greater Lens on my weapon and frame each time I wanted to switch schools. Technically, if you had similar weapons to work with, you would only ever need to change the one on your frame.

The quickest way to get Affinity, and thus Focus, is Stealth Multiplier farming. And the quickest stealth multiplier farm is Banshee, with neutral range on a long duration silence. With Naramon's boost to your Affinity gain with a melee weapon, go melee-only with a Silence build Banshee to Exterminates like Adaro.

The missions take between three to five minutes at top speed including load-in-and-extract and can net you, without a booster and only Greater Lenses, 30k Affinity per run or more. You are never facing enemies tough enough that a decent melee weapon can't one-shot them using a good polearm Zaw or Whip, thanks to Silence putting each enemy you see into that 3 second stun.

Simply run right through the mission at top speed, learn the routes around each tile for maximum stealth approach while doing it, and the neutral 20m range on Silence gives you exactly the right amount of time to see the stunned enemy and perform your desired melee attack.

Unlike the Ivara or Equinox approach, you make up for mistakes in the stealth function far more quickly, You're hitting the 500% Affinity multiplier in a burst, rather than after several casts of an ability to cover the room, and you are consistently moving.

If you trade up enough Plat for Boosters, or happen to craft an Eidolon lens (put that on the melee, so it gets the bonus from Naramon), then your progress doubles and more. I frequently saw between 80k and 120k Focus in a single run.

When you can literally max and unbind a Waybound in less than two weeks... It's kind of silly. Sadly for me, I had nearly done everything by the time they introduced the MR bonus per day, which upped my farm to 375k a day... kind of fun, but it dropped a month's grind down to two weeks.

That said, this isn't the point of the thread:

On 2018-09-08 at 11:24 PM, Almagnus1 said:

AoE is a problem that goes beyond Affinity and Focus gain. It's a problem overall in the game that DE want to address because of that simple fact that it is lazy gameplay. They don't like the fact that they've created abilities that allow players to sit and do nothing but press a single button.

At least with Saryn you have to keep Spores going, using your other abilities for full effect, and so on.

The strategy, as I've heard it, is to lower the range that high-damage abilities can affect, and make sure that it's potential damage, not instant, that creates the best damage. Like Mag, Octavia and Nyx, with their Damage Absorb functions, Saryn with her climbing damage that has to be farmed, Volt with his large stun AoE, that is only highly damaging if the enemies are all grouped together (which admittedly they are a lot of the time).

Potential over direct, that's the strategy they want to employ more and more. Look at Revenant, his 4 has great scaling potential with his high status and variable damage types, but his actual base damage is low to ensure that it can't be truly achieved without modding, combination with other abilities and so on. It's also very low range, but reasonably high mobility, if you have the energy to cast Reeve with it.

So, it's not down to Focus that's the problem.

Focus is a capped system, it's designed to be slow going, because you are supposed to be able to max it out, after which (like me) you don't have anything else to do with it, except use it.If you didn't have the daily cap, do you know how fast you could max it (using my technique and boosters)? 44 hours. Literally. Just... 44 hours of play if it was un-capped. You could... probably spread that out, maybe an hour per day? 44 days total? Or somebody would mammoth grind it on Twitch... Then you'd have nothing to do.

I mean it. I have nothing to do with my Focus now except experiment with how much I can do with it as an Operator. And let me tell you... it kind of sucks not having a goal like that to work towards anymore.

Now. If Focus as a system, was an 'uncapped' system, like our modding? Then sure. It's an old idea, but here:

If you had to grind Focus until you'd reached rank 30 in your School, then apply Forma in order to get more Capacity for Builds, to literally choose to spec into the Dash, or the Blast, or the Invis, or even just the Passives? That would be a fully fleshed out system, that would be one where you could have multiple branches for your different skills within a School.

You could then build into it like you would build into a character in, say, Skyrim, and the Waybounds would then become those essential base skills that are counted for having maxed the school (like Warframe growth with their additive health, shields and Energy pool). So as long as your School was at Max, you would have the stats from that school, and the Eidolon Shards would be then used to unbind them so that they apply to your equipped School, with their effect dependent on if the original School it came from was then at Max level.

It would be a far more in-depth School system overall, with you being able to build a Naramon school for the Executing Dash independent of the Surging Dash (or vice-versa) but also build it for the Warframe Melee functions too, with extra options for Operator movement, that could add to your Waybounds, meaning that just unbinding them wasn't the be-all and end-all of the Operator Movement from Naramon, and if you wanted those full effects you still had to switch to Naramon to use them.

Except...

Sadly...

That isn't what we have. We have a capped system. You max it out. That's it.

Could the individual nodes be updated and changed to make things more smooth? Absolutely. The point of ranking up an ability is that it gets to be better for the same price, or even for a lower price. Operator abilities shouldn't get more expensive the more you rank them up, that's just stupid.

But think about the capped versus uncapped, the difference between the two is exactly why we have a Daily Cap and why we gain it so damn slowly even with that daily cap.

Edited by Thaylien

4 hours ago, Thaylien said:

<giant post describing the Banshee focus farming>

Did you miss the part where I said:

22 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

So while I know about using Eidolon lenses would greatly help things, I'm also not going to waste resources and time to use them like I do the greater lenses, but instead put them on a focus grinding setup that I enjoy playing (which I haven't found yet).

I'm aware of the focus farms, but those aren't fun for me, so I'm not going to force myself to do something extremely unfun in a game because that generally leads to burnouts (especially in MMOs).  This is a game after all, I'm supposed to be enjoying it.

I think you missed the intent of that post which was to show that not all of us who are complaining about the system haven't invested into it already and some of us have a bunch of lenses because we've tried everything, and nothing has been found as a focus farm that I enjoy playing.  Yes, I've done what you describe, I don't enjoy it and I'm looking at other alternatives that make it enjoyable.

5 hours ago, Thaylien said:

Focus is a capped system, it's designed to be slow going, because you are supposed to be able to max it out, after which (like me) you don't have anything else to do with it, except use it.If you didn't have the daily cap, do you know how fast you could max it (using my technique and boosters)? 44 hours. Literally. Just... 44 hours of play if it was un-capped. You could... probably spread that out, maybe an hour per day? 44 days total? Or somebody would mammoth grind it on Twitch... Then you'd have nothing to do.

I mean it. I have nothing to do with my Focus now except experiment with how much I can do with it as an Operator. And let me tell you... it kind of sucks not having a goal like that to work towards anymore.

I think that's the fundamental disagreement here.  Many of us just want to get it done with, and move on because the operator with the waybound nodes just works better than the operator without the nodes - so it's not seen as a goal, merely a bunch of checkboxes to get the operator to how they should have been to begin with.

1 minute ago, Almagnus1 said:

<Part where you miss the fact that I try to explain how Focus Farms can be fast and easy so that you can get them done and move on with the rest of your day, because you're obviously more concerned with having done it than actually doing it>

Right, so, I read your post, I offered an alternative that you might not have been aware of where you can avoid the dedicated and established Farm. You don't have to take hours out of your day, or multiple ESO runs over and over to get the job done, you can actually take around fifteen or twenty minutes, about as long as it takes you to level up a weapon or warframe, and you're done.

If you don't like it? Then that's on you. It's still there, and it's still possible. Your post didn't specify.

But more than that, it was the reason that Focus is capped.

6 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

I think that's the fundamental disagreement here.  Many of us just want to get it done with, and move on because the operator with the waybound nodes just works better than the operator without the nodes - so it's not seen as a goal, merely a bunch of checkboxes to get the operator to how they should have been to begin with.

You just want to get it done.

Super, that's great, it means DE have made at least one part of this system desirable beyond Zenurik's Energising Dash.

But you've missed that fundamental concept; the Operators are better with this, but they are designed to function at base without it. These are upgrades, progression, not default settings you should have had all along. DE wants you to progress through this in a deliberate fashion at their pace, not yours.

If you'd received your Operator as your starting character, along with your Warframe, the same way that other RPGs offer your character customisation and base functions from the start, then Focus gain being slow wouldn't have been a thing. You would have a capped progression tree for your Character, and then multiple endgame builds to craft into with your Warframe.

But you didn't receive it then. You received it when DE brought in the dramatic reveal. And you haven't been building towards your Operator over the entire game, you're only starting to build into that after The Second Dream. When you think about it, really, the only reason that you're complaining about the progression is because you're handed it at a point in your game where you're used to being able to grind things faster. You're used to being able to get hold of things at a certain pace, and you're handed something now that's deliberately slower than that, which I can understand grinds a few gears.

You think that, because you can max, Forma, re-max and test a Warframe or Weapon in a single evening's play, that you should be able to do similar speeds of progression with all of the content. And don't lie to me, I know you do ^^

But Focus is different. Since it's capped (an oversight by DE, making it like that instead of like the rest of their game, and I'll keep saying that because it's true) the only way to stop you from progressing through it to the end in the minimum amount of time is to Daily Cap it.

You're supposed to be slow. It's supposed to be this way. To ensure that no player achieves all the results too quickly unless they learn all the systems to get there the quickest way.

Since players across this game (like me) can reach the daily cap in 15 minutes, even with the MR cap allowing me 375k per day, while it'll take players that have only just unlocked the system and have far lower caps most of a day since they don't have the gear, the lenses or the levelling knowledge, the only way to keep those two sets of players on even progression footing is simply to say that neither of them can go above that certain amount per day.

You are designed to be limited in your progression.

Unless you farm Eidolons.

Heck, if you farm the Tridolon hunt efficiently, you can cut months off your grind since the Shards do not count to the Daily Cap, you can convert them all afterwards to add on to your gains... Literally hit your cap with the method of choice, and then go for three hunts per day and you can max out Focus in about three months or less, if you play daily.... kind of silly really.

But that's just another part of the point.

You have capped play because DE designed the system to be slow so you can't reach the overall Focus total cap and only possible to complete over time instead of pure, dedicated grind. Then, despite that, they give you ways to un-cap the grind if you play more content.

We were literally handed the way to cut grind time in less than half for the Focus system, if we go hunting their field bosses, and people still think that the system isn't fast enough.

Players are able to complete Focus from start to finish in less time than it takes DE to bring out the next Prime Access...

I mean, if that wasn't possible, then you might actually have a point.

The answer is already built into the game.

Go use it.

1 hour ago, Thaylien said:

But you've missed that fundamental concept; the Operators are better with this, but they are designed to function at base without it. These are upgrades, progression, not default settings you should have had all along. DE wants you to progress through this in a deliberate fashion at their pace, not yours.

If you'd received your Operator as your starting character, along with your Warframe, the same way that other RPGs offer your character customisation and base functions from the start, then Focus gain being slow wouldn't have been a thing. You would have a capped progression tree for your Character, and then multiple endgame builds to craft into with your Warframe.

But you didn't receive it then. You received it when DE brought in the dramatic reveal. And you haven't been building towards your Operator over the entire game, you're only starting to build into that after The Second Dream. When you think about it, really, the only reason that you're complaining about the progression is because you're handed it at a point in your game where you're used to being able to grind things faster. You're used to being able to get hold of things at a certain pace, and you're handed something now that's deliberately slower than that, which I can understand grinds a few gears.

Or it's been an issue since Second Dream launched and many players (myself included) ran the math and said "screw this nonsense".

Half the problem with the focus systems are the lenses being one time use which means players (like me) are going to stick them into everything that's (realistically) going to be used so we're not missing focus gain.  Great as a plat tax... horrible from a design perspective as the lenses really should be more akin to an arcane than a potato.

You think that, because you can max, Forma, re-max and test a Warframe or Weapon in a single evening's play, that you should be able to do similar speeds of progression with all of the content. And don't lie to me, I know you do ^^

But Focus is different. Since it's capped (an oversight by DE, making it like that instead of like the rest of their game, and I'll keep saying that because it's true) the only way to stop you from progressing through it to the end in the minimum amount of time is to Daily Cap it.

In sense, perhaps.  At the same time, most mods do have a cap and once you have acquired enough endo and credits (which isn't hard to do if you know how to shortcut that), you've maxed the mod and never have to max it again.

IMO the entire focus system needs another rework to bring it closer in line with modding - preferably without having one build to rule them all.

Unless you farm Eidolons.

Heck, if you farm the Tridolon hunt efficiently, you can cut months off your grind since the Shards do not count to the Daily Cap, you can convert them all afterwards to add on to your gains... Literally hit your cap with the method of choice, and then go for three hunts per day and you can max out Focus in about three months or less, if you play daily.... kind of silly really.

Therein lies one of the issues with the workaround:  That's only a viable when it's night on the Plains, and without some way to precisely know when night started, or when it will end, you can start up a Tridolon mission and.... have it time out because you started too late in the night.  The only other alternative is ESO which not only can get you to cap quickly with a nuker, but you can also get the false shards for additional focus.

On 2018-09-09 at 2:24 AM, Almagnus1 said:

Focus farming is best farmed solo on an exterminate mission with a stealth frame because of +500% exp bonus. Players who choose less efficient AoE spam method are either lazy or just don't know about better tactics of focus farming.

On 2018-09-09 at 2:47 AM, axellex said:

This is very true I do not enjoy playing saryn or volt but they get the most focus in the smallest time frame so practically forced to either use them or gimp myself and have no focus.

Once again, they don't.

On 2018-09-09 at 3:20 PM, (XB1)WhatToDo94 said:

3 hours? Seriously? Haha. How about 10-15 minutes? You have much to learn, young Tenno.

Putting lenses on both frame and weapon is far from the only thing to consider. If you want to farm most efficiently, take Ivara and a dual-wielded glaive-type weapon, max out ability range, go to Adaro, always stay invisible, use sleep arrow, kill enemies one by one within the stealth counter (+500% exp) until focus booster shows up, then grab it and blow up the glaive in the middle of groups of sleeping enemies. 2-3 missions and you're done with the daily limit in no time.

8LK4IeQ.jpg

dKgnqrU.jpg

Edited by Ksaero

On 2018-09-09 at 1:24 AM, Almagnus1 said:

Before ESO you had all the other spots where AoE'ers were making things unfun for the rest of the players. Now I understand that everyone wants everything maxed in 60", but this simply shouldn't be possible at all in a game that has grinding as a reason to return the next day - for weapons and warframe parts, for affinity, for standings and focus.

On 2018-09-09 at 1:24 AM, Almagnus1 said:

One of the reasons why people play AoE'ers is because it's a grindy game, with the monster's AI resembling a sheep's. ESO's a very good example of that, where you actually need really stronk aoe damage output to go through the zones, regardless if you wanna max your focus for the day or you really need that god-among-mere-pistols of a Lato Vandal.

I'mma go and say that the operator's abilities don't see much use outside tridolon hunting and even there, you don't need maxed ones unless you wanna solo everything. In other words, I agree that the focus gaining is slow, but my issue is that by the time you max out your abilities there, you no longer care about them anyway, as there's nothing to use your cross-school, fully buffed operator powers against.

Further more, I'm also going to say that aoe frames shouldn't be nerfed (I know I was strongly advocating in favor of such nerfs half a year ago, but that changed). Every single game has an aoe class (or 5) and every single game has teams that needed aoe classes for either ensured survival or high efficiency. On top of these though, those aoe classes weren't making the roles of the other players irrelevant to the point where the overall feeling was like we have here "let's take Saryn so she can carry the whole group through gazillion ESO zones".

So, on your points, my suggestions to DE would be:

1. Rethink and make operator abilities more relevant for the game's content, so that players aren't almost exclusively interested in only unbinding the way-bound abilities.
  2. Stop creating mission types that encourage - if not demand - the (ab)use of frames like Volt or Saryn. ESO is an example of this, where the aforementioned frames are like a "get out of the mission free" card.
  3. Create content where players will want aoe frames in their teams. Hopefully that will also encourage the use of various operator abilities. That is, don't focus on nerfing the frames, but in making the foes more challenging and maybe tougher for any one frame to crack. For example, we could have miniboss foes that resemble our own aoe'rs that will need to be cc'ed properly by a Vauban or a Nyx (and no, not the likes of Nox, as he's a single target nuisance). Then make it so that some new and rather dangerous knocked down enemies would take more damage from electric attacks (situation in which you'd want a Banshee and a Volt). That other enemies really strong prototype armors will frist need some extra tempering (with waves of heat and cold) before cracking. Have a new breed of infested that will be made vulnerable by viral damage, etc. Oh, and maybe give melee/tanky frames a passive taunt and other tanky tools - for example, a charge-up Rip Line augment that will pull all foes around Valkyr. An Iron Charge augment that will grab all enemies in Rhino's path and so on.

I remember when DE was talking about plans for a significantly reworked focus gain system that would use a stacking booster for playing a variety of missions in order to incentivize actually playing the game in a variety of ways while still making meaningful feeling progress, and have soft daily caps instead of hard ones.

then instead of that they released hydron AFK farming as a game mode and said "just get focus here"

Edited by OvisCaedo

3 hours ago, Ksaero said:

3 hours? Seriously? Haha. How about 10-15 minutes? You have much to learn, young Tenno.

I tried explaining that to the OP, he hates that too. Apparently he just seems to hate the fact that he has a daily cap at all. On discussion, it apparently doesn't matter how fast you can do it, or that there are work-around systems, they're all not good enough, and there just shouldn't be a cap because he just wants it done. Not to do it, to have done it.

14 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Way-bound traits are quite right to be so. You wanting to stick your finger in all the pies from the get-go is what should not happen 😄

Be done and move on is what you're doing with an MMO that has nothing left to offer. Kinda similar to the burnout from using boring farm techniques or getting buried in ESO every day and such.

There's no light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to focus schools. It's just the end of the tunnel.