Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(unpopular opinion?) About those crafting WAIT TIMES

Noabettiet

So here's an topic i thought that would be interesting to discuss, as it might be controversial, enlightening or nonissue depending on who you are.
Anyway, hi, i generally don't do these kind of things and often only, if barely, make topics on feedback forums.

But here is the basis of this topic, would it make sense to:

1. reduce wait times on LOW MASTERY rank items and gradually increase wait times on items with a higher mastery rank?
  2. (reverse) Increase wait times on low mastery rank items, with wait times gradually decreasing as you craft items with an higher mastery rank, to encourage new players to fetch different resources and mods while they wait?
  3. Keep it as it is.

That's it. 
What do you think?

...In case you are still reading, i am asking this specially because of new user experience. Most new players I've met, often target the best items, so that they can rush to get their favorite and target warframes/weapons that they like. Only to then, later on, being bored about the game and likely throwing many items to the garbage bin without a second look.
I am not getting into resources crafting, since i am not sure myself too, personally feel that those.. should just enable us to craft multiple things.

Edited by Noabettiet

I would worry about the time more if you could only craft a set amount of items at any time but since you can craft as much as you have the materials for I am fine how it is. 

The only thing Ive wanted is batch crafting. So say crafting energy pads 1 minutes for 10 and 9k creds. I would like to be able to craft 100 in 10 minutes and maybe more credits like 10% more or something or even the normal credits.

I don't think it's an unpopular opinion, I think it's just a design choice from the developers to encourage you to spend/buy some plat.

I mean, if they decided to get rid of crafting times all together, I can't imagine any players would be like "oh no that's terrible". 

But I doubt DE would have any interest in doing it.

1 minute ago, Ecliptix said:

I would worry about the time more if you could only craft a set amount of items at any time but since you can craft as much as you have the materials for I am fine how it is. 

The only thing Ive wanted is batch crafting. So say crafting energy pads 1 minutes for 10 and 9k creds. I would like to be able to craft 100 in 10 minutes and maybe more credits like 10% more or something or even the normal credits.

Yeah definitely, becomes kinda like a chore when you are trying to craft multiple 1 minute items.
Specially annoying on those plains of eidelons rocks.

4 minutes ago, rune_me said:

I don't think it's an unpopular opinion, I think it's just a design choice from the developers to encourage you to spend/buy some plat.

I mean, if they decided to get rid of crafting times all together, I can't imagine any players would be like "oh no that's terrible". 

Yah thats part of it as well. I would hope people arent dropping plat to speed up the 1 minute crafts but some might. I didnt think that would be an issue with the short crafts. Dunno at least the newer system where it stays in the already built tab so you can start it faster is nice at least

Edited by Ecliptix

1 minute ago, Ecliptix said:

Yah thats part of it as well. I would hope arent dropping plat to speed up the 1 minute crafts but some might. I didnt think that would be an issue with the short crafts. Dunno at least the newer system where it stays in the already built tab so you can start it faster is nice at least

4 minutes ago, rune_me said:

But that's the point.
It isn't all good and sparkles. 

16 minutes ago, Noabettiet said:

i am asking this specially because of new user experience. Most new players I've met, often target the best items, so that they can rush to get their favorite and target warframes/weapons that they like. Only to then, later on, being bored about the game and likely throwing many items to the garbage bin without a second look.

Kind of a quality of life thing, i admit. But that's also why i suggested the reverse. 
We keep getting crafting materials requirements going up and up. Not to mention how many new resources we've got that are literally designed to just halt progression, like nitain or argon crystals which are a blatant example. 

kinda a proportion to a system that can help both players and devs at striking a balance here..and stuff
But i honestly wanted to know the community opinion this, since it also means that your mastery rank 20 new bow, would take a month to finish crafting.

Crafting those 1 minute gear items is painful, i agree.

I have no issue with any other wait times though.  They are what they are.  They were there when i started playing so i accepted them as part of the game.

Yes i have spent plat to speed things up, im guilty of that, very rarely, but ive done it.  I would assume this is a good money earner for DE, because i am fairly patient.  I can only imagine someone not so patient burning through plat and then complaining its not fair.

I dont think the wait times should be altered, its never bothered me that much and i accept spending plat as a penalty for not being patient.

TBH this was already addressed by a good number of typical low MR new player weapons being available for direct purchase from the marketplace for credits.

Wait times are one of the two gates on content rushing, the other being absurdly large mutagen sample costs of various resources. Besides, you can have as many things cooking simultaneously as you please, and can leave finished items in the foundry indefinitely.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own view on the matter, though i think this is a case of "be careful what you wish for". In my opinion the wait times are the sweet spot, with weapons taking either 12/24 hours, and frames 3.5 days to craft once the materials are farmed. It is this wait period which adds value to the item. Every game needs a reward system, and the finished crafted item, is in large part this games reward system (which keeps you playing). Sure you can bypass the system, and most of us i would think on occasion do, but that in itself is a game mechanic (besides being part of a non gouging cash generator which DE needs), giving the player choice about resource (plat) usage.

It's a plat sink. 

I personally don't mind it that much because I work all day and get home at night I just start crafting and everytime I get home the next and log in I'm like " well hey look at all those unranked guns waiting for me!"

It's extremely annoying on the weekends though, when I have a lot more time available and I REALLY want something. 

I'd say leave it as is as it encourages players to keep coming back and to potentially spend plat.

But if low mr weapon/items built really fast then you could end up a few issues regarding newer players. 12-24h build time create more of an incentive to come back another day and try out your new toys which is more opportunities for players to get "hooked" on the game. Or new players can hit the "slot wall" much faster and get discouraged from continuing to play.

And foundry queuing is a feature that new players don't need and doesn't help in keeping them coming back every day. But gaining "queue slots" in our foundry tied to the same mechanic as extractor limits (Founders, PA purchases, mastery rank) would be a nice reward to the players who're already invested.

Also it keeps players from rushing through content. Just imagine how much worse the "content drought" complaints would be if we didn't need to wait as long/at all for the newest weapons/frames as they're added.

Edited by trst

wait times don't add to players' enjoyment of the game, and changing those wait times to be shorter for one half of the player base and longer for the other will decrease enjoyment, too, because of negativity bias. I think it would be best if either DE removed them entirely, shortened them all, or left them alone.

3 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Free to play game, handing everything to you with little effort or waiting means they go bankrupt and we all lose favorite game.

I don't think people are buying platinum right now just to skip wait times, so I doubt the developers would go bankrupt over removing it

Edited by lennieplop60

Especially for newer players, farming specific frame parts, building them, then build the warframe, then finally being able to use it after 3 days, feels VERY rewarding. If you got everything right away after farming, it would feel much less satisfying.

One thing though, I noticed that I got several prime warframes complete, BEFORE I got the regular version. That feels a bit like a waste. Mirage Prime was one of the first primes I got, then afterwards doing the quest for regular Mirage and building it, upgrading to level 30 was a bit tedious.

24 minutes ago, lennieplop60 said:

I don't think people are buying platinum right now just to skip wait times, so I doubt the developers would go bankrupt over removing it

Of course I skip times with platinum, because it's cheaper to skip time for 3 formas for 10 plat, than to buy a bundle for 35.

Two thoughts occur to me (and I'm certainly not the first to notice them.)

One, the game has always had a large grind aspect to it, and most new players seem to want to ignore the game itself (little to no killing/exploring, only speed-running for the Sparklie), seeing only the grind and ways to minimize it, and thus they focus on "efficiency". IMHO, they miss the forest for the trees. If you aren't playing the game to play the game.....what are you going to use the Sparklies for?

Second, wait times exist to encourage Plat sales, and until somebody comes up with a better system of encouraging Plat sales, you should prolly just assume the wait times will continue as they have for the last five years. (Of course you and I don't want to wait - that's why wait times are in the game!)

22 minutes ago, FierceRadiance said:

Two thoughts occur to me (and I'm certainly not the first to notice them.)

One, the game has always had a large grind aspect to it, and most new players seem to want to ignore the game itself (little to no killing/exploring, only speed-running for the Sparklie), seeing only the grind and ways to minimize it, and thus they focus on "efficiency". IMHO, they miss the forest for the trees. If you aren't playing the game to play the game.....what are you going to use the Sparklies for?

Second, wait times exist to encourage Plat sales, and until somebody comes up with a better system of encouraging Plat sales, you should prolly just assume the wait times will continue as they have for the last five years. (Of course you and I don't want to wait - that's why wait times are in the game!)

Couldn't have put it better myself. :thumbup:

OP seems typical of the modern "ME WANT NAO!" generation.

The other thing to remember is that the sooner you have everything, the sooner you join the ranks of the "WHERE'S THE NEW CONTENT?" crowd.

On 2018-09-12 at 1:51 AM, Ecliptix said:

Yup, the lack of batch crafting for utility items like pads etc is baffling.